Looking for opinions on best Tesoro for land detecting in general

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are aware Tesoro went bankrupt so there is no warranty.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned the Silver Umax and Outlaw, but sold them. Thinking of trading my AT Max in on another Tesoro because I kind of miss the simplicity of them.

I suspect that most will say it’s the Vaquero for best all-around.. They’re quite good but my choice is still the Bandido II μMAX. They’re not quite as deep as the Vaquero, but I think the discrimination circuit works better for most of my detecting. If you leave the disc set really low though and dig more small iron (nails on up to steel bottlecaps), you may like Vaquero better. If I’m in very trashy spots, and I sometimes am, the Bandido is the only Tesoro I’ve used that will just have a bottlecap click while still giving a strong “dig it” on a nickel. Your Outlaw was quite similar in operation to the Bandido, but a little more..quirky.

Even though they’re now an old relic themselves, Tesoros still work very well. The trick in buying now is, either a new in box unit - or get lucky with a good used.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the Tejon the best, good, solid, and works great!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon; Vaquero:skullflag:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There all good.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I had good times with a high-tone Vaq for years and found a ton but where I live now has mineralized soil and massive infestations of all kinds of iron so it got to be a hassle dealing with it all.
Eventually I traded it to a dealer that lived out west with much better dirt for a Mojave.
A great trade for me, it has all the sensitivity of my beloved Compadre, can find chains like it is a religion, does the double beep thing next to big metal as well as the Little C, handles my iron issues better and I believe gets deeper than my Vaq ever did around here in the bad stuff...shockingly.
Or at least ID's deeper targets better, anyway, in my devil dirt.
NOT just a suped up Compadre on steroids as some have said, in my opinion...seems to work very well in both good and challenging dirt.
If you can find a nice used one or a new one I guarantee you you will have great fun standing behind it.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Tesoros are the best, just ask any Tesoro guy the longer the hair and beard the more experience the Tesoro guy is, advanced Tesoro guy will also have a VW bus and tie die shirt..:laughing9::headbang::icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
All Tesoros are the best, just ask any Tesoro guy the longer the hair and beard the more experience the Tesoro guy is, advanced Tesoro guy will also have a VW bus and tie die shirt..:laughing9::headbang::icon_thumleft:

Nah, I drive a 30 year old Oldsmobile :) Nice and comfortable - and my go to mechanic kinda likes it too.

I own every detector listed on my profile, but my go to machine remains my Tejon, just like my 30 y/o Olds :)

Hair, I kinda wish some of it would grow back :)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, >all< Tesoros are the best...!
The "life-time" warranty, is a Clue to lasting,
Durability of these machines...!
Love them...!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, >all< Tesoros are the best...!
The "life-time" warranty, is a Clue to lasting,
Durability of these machines...!
Love them...!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the Tejon for digging it all in farm field hunting. :icon_thumleft:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Haven’t got much hair left up top (what hats are for, anyway..) but got the beard down to..here.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White went out of business. Which next metal detector company in our country is going out of business?

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I had good times with a high-tone Vaq for years and found a ton but where I live now has mineralized soil and massive infestations of all kinds of iron so it got to be a hassle dealing with it all.
Eventually I traded it to a dealer that lived out west with much better dirt for a Mojave.
A great trade for me, it has all the sensitivity of my beloved Compadre, can find chains like it is a religion, does the double beep thing next to big metal as well as the Little C, handles my iron issues better and I believe gets deeper than my Vaq ever did around here in the bad stuff...shockingly.
Or at least ID's deeper targets better, anyway, in my devil dirt.
NOT just a suped up Compadre on steroids as some have said, in my opinion...seems to work very well in both good and challenging dirt.
If you can find a nice used one or a new one I guarantee you you will have great fun standing behind it.

tesoro mojave!..signature tesoro performance.
outrageously good for totters, and curb strips.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread