Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to purchase a sand scoop. It will be my one and only. I've not had one before.

I'm looking for recommendations as to what brand/model to get. I realize that everyone has their favorite tools, and also tools they hate, and would consequently caution a prospective buyer to stay away from. I'm looking for a scoop that is obviously sturdy, that I can definitely use my foot or shoe to help push it into the sand without the scoop crushing. I'd like something that doesn't weigh a ton, but is built to last. I've seen some scoops with handles that come out of the scoop at varying angles depending upon the make and model and don't really know what angle would be best. My hunting would be on both wet and dry sand, and some really packed sand too (both fresh and salt water). At the current time, I don't think I'm going to be traveling to go detecting, so a break-down scoop would not be needed.

Basically, If someone were to say I wanted a pinpointer, you could tell them that you really cannot go wrong with a "Garrett Carrot". Is there a sand scoop that many can say you can't go wrong by purchasing it?

So, if you have a good candidate for me to check out, or one to stay away from, please let me know. And also, if you could say why you like or dislike it, that would be greatly appreciated as well!!!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited:

Pondpuck

May 9, 2020
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Simplex+ (Incoming!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same question last week. I was directed to (deleted by mod for rules) on eBay...

I was told they were good solid units!

I bought one, just waiting on its arrival.

I'm looking to purchase a sand scoop. It will be my one and only. I've not had one before.

I'm looking for recommendations as to what brand/model to get. I realize that everyone has their favorite tools, and also tools they hate, and would consequently caution a prospective buyer to stay away from. I'm looking for a scoop that is obviously sturdy, that I can definitely use my foot or shoe to help push it into the sand without the scoop crushing. I'd like something that doesn't weigh a ton, but is built to last. I've seen some scoops with handles that come out of the scoop at varying angles depending upon the make and model and don't really know what angle would be best. My hunting would be on both wet and dry sand, and some really packed sand too (both fresh and salt water). At the current time, I don't think I'm going to be traveling to go detecting, so a break-down scoop would not be needed.

Basically, If someone were to say I wanted a pinpointer, you could tell them that you really cannot go wrong with a "Garrett Carrot". Is there a sand scoop that many can say you can't go wrong by purchasing it?

So, if you have a good candidate for me to check out, or one to stay away from, please let me know. And also, if you could say why you like or dislike it, that would be greatly appreciated as well!!!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same question last week. I was directed to (deleted by mod for rules) on eBay...

I was told they were good solid units!

I bought one, just waiting on its arrival.

Which model did you choose? I wonder how long things take to get to the US from Ukraine....

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Nokta Simplex, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my three, RTG's. so far they have worked really well. I hunt swimming areas on lakes here.

SANY4871.JPG

SANY4874.JPG

SANY4876.JPG

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If cost is not a factor and you need lightweight then there is the Xtreme titanium scoop. Well built and made in the USA.
For beach hunters wet or dry, the scoop is one of the most important tools in box. Choose accordingly. Good luck!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
The Xtreme titanium scoop will set you back more than an Equinox 800. Kinda takes some of the fun out of the hobby.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get mine from a Ukrainian guy on ebay, top quality and fast cheap shipping, been around quite a while too

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xtreme Scoops Sand Shredder V2. Of all the many many scoops I've had over the past ten years, it is THE ONE to have, in my opinion. It's just as close to perfect as you can get, would last and hold up to abuse, highly recommend. Wood or carbon fiber handle, love the carbon fiber handles.

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Nokta Simplex, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had something on order from Ukrain for almost two months. I contacted the guy and he said they are having problems getting stuff shipped out. this guy has a 99'99% approval rating on Ebay. He asked to be patient, if it was a big ticket item I would have cancelled it, but it's only a detector cover. so if you order from there you might have a long wait. think they are getting hit hard by the virus now.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$600 for a sand scoop wow, would never do that - I seriously doubt if it does anything my $75 scoop can't do.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! The Extreme Scoop $695? Someone apparently has been hitting the pipe a bit too much! I could definitely make one for less than $50 and be just as sturdy and use the other $645 for something else worth while!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been pushing 6 years ago, I purchased a Stealth 920iX Extreme from a fellow in Metro Detroit, and as I recall, I paid around $320 for it delivered.

I understand "Stealth" still exists (is run by someone else now?) and are located on the West Coast.

Love my 920iX.......

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a Xtreme stainless scoop with the carbon fiber handle. It was $360, but I don't see how a scoop could be built any better and be any stronger than this one. It's a GREAT scoop.

Mike L

Greenie
Jul 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just got a Xtreme stainless scoop with the carbon fiber handle. It was $360, but I don't see how a scoop could be built any better and be any stronger than this one. It's a GREAT scoop.

I did the same, I got the Xtreme Surf Master SS with a titanium handle, very strong!!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To everyone who buys from the Ukrainian guy: what is their username? Is it (deleted by mod for rules) as Pondpuck mentioned?

I'm going to Florida in a few weeks and I still need a scoop... ideally something cheap but still pretty durable for my week and a half (ish) of digging.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts edited, members can not advertise sellers on ebay that are not treasurenet supporters, you can say you bought it on ebay, not user name of who you bought it from, there are great vendors here who sell great scoops and they pay to be vendors here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread