Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baba Yaga said:
Hello all...
anybody stockpiling scrap pewter? I'm needing some if anyone has any. Lead free only please.

I have a few pieces. It is hard to find lead free. I only try to buy it if it says lead free or was used for holding food or drink. (even then I am not sure)

How do you tell lead free?

OP
OP
B

Baba Yaga

Jan 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually it will say what type of pewter on the bottom of the piece. British pewter, or if it has a symbol of a crown is lead free. Most European pewter is lead free. Another feature of old pewter is the weight. Because lead has a much higher density than tin, lead-containing pewter is heavier. The more lead is added, the heavier it gets. Lastly, Newly-made pewter containing lead tends to have a bluish tint. This fades away as the pewter ages and it becomes a darker silvery-grey in color. That's due to tarnish, and the main culprit is lead which gets oxidised pretty easily. Modern pewter tarnishes more slowly and is also more easily cleaned.

OP
OP
B

Baba Yaga

Jan 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mostly melting down for casting. PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

keg1111

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am also looking for some cheap scrap lead free pewter and tin. Thanks Kristal

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly melting down for casting. PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

I keep reading that there will be a shortage of Zinc. Is pewter related to Zinc?

What metal is usually used for the fancy layered decoration, platter handles or teapot feet that's soldered to the edges of silver plated bowls or platters?

Bill

Last edited:

yasir

Aug 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we are pewter scarp dealer and can produce you in bulk

ruptic

Mar 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all...
anybody stockpiling scrap pewter? I'm needing some if anyone has any. Lead free only please.

Are you still looking for pewter? I have a couple christening cups that I inadvertently had engraved incorrectly. It would cost too much to have them redone so am looking to see if I can sell them for scrap...Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

ruptic

Mar 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also looking for some cheap scrap lead free pewter and tin. Thanks Kristal

Are you still looking for pewter? I have a couple christening cups that I inadvertently had engraved incorrectly. It would cost too much to have them redone so am looking to see if I can sell them for scrap...Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even tho this post is from 3-16.

I see why i'm saving all my Pewter (when I can ID it ) , Zinc also .

The yards I use classify pewter & zinc as or with 'Cast or old sheet aluminum' as they or their smelters can separate each metal W/O it costing to much.

We /I get ripped on my Zinc pewter & esp Nickel.

Tiz is life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread