Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking into 1750's sight 6 miles from my house

I'm taking some of your adivice and doing some investigating previous to digging a site. I went to the map room at the main library today and looked up maps and information on a church out in the country that has been around since the late 1750's. There is a lot of building still going on around the area (high end houses mainly) so there is dirt that is being moved around and scraped off that has been farms from the get go. I've been overlapping old maps over new ones and finding some digable spots that are still around with virtually no change since the original church was built. I won't be digging on church property, just very close if I can get permission. Keep your fingers crossed. I will keep y'all posted.

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Looking into 1750's sight 6 miles from my house

I went to the spot yesterday. It was pouring rain and I didn't even get out of my truck, but looking at the area I am STOKED! There are lots of places to swing and dig once I get permission (I don't think permission will be a problem but you never know until you ask). By investigating this site I've found several others in the area from around the same era. Y'all keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted!

HH,
Ramapirate

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wishing you the best of luck at your new spot. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went down to the spot late this afternoon and stayed until after dark. All I found was some old spent rifle shells and nails. It was very hot, humid and buggy. I did find the spring where Cornwallis and his troops stopped to drink (documented). The stones where they tied their horses are still there. It's all right behind a slave cemetary. I'm not getting anywhere near it, not even the wall around it. It's all back in some woods and there's a huge gully near it. It's really near a nice housing development, but there are parts of it I wouldn't hunt without a buddy. There's huge boulders and a dry stream down in the gully and it looked pretty ominous. I'll post more as I have more to post. I'm not giving up on it.

HH,
Ramapirate

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

where do you go to find an old map of your area so you can do this? a library? I know theres a lot of places in independence missouri or near it that I could go to, but i just dont even know where to start, or what I could even get permission to hunt on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread