Lost Gold at an Alaskan Mine in 1939, maybe thousands of ounces

WetButte

Jan 3, 2008
OP
OP
W

WetButte

Jan 3, 2008
There is the 420 ounces hidden in the woodpile, and the fact that they had not left the mine after the season. Further, it is known that they didn't trust banks, and also had previously recovered thousands of ounces from the "Potato Patch". And, the gold that was found in the woodpile was all dust, whereas they are known to have many ounces of nuggets, which were never found.

Those are just a few of the clues.

K

Kentucky Kache

How do you know the murderers didn't take it?
I'm not trying to discourage you, these are just the normal questions you need to answer for yourself.

OP
OP
W

WetButte

Jan 3, 2008
The gold wouldn't have been laying around, just as the 420 ounces was stashed. They wouldn't have had time to look for it, assuming it was more than 1 person, because the 4 people were killed on the same day miles apart in very rugged terrain, and were ambushed. The posse began searching soon thereafter, first for the victims and then for clues.

OP
OP
W

WetButte

Jan 3, 2008
Thanks, I have some ideas, but metal detecting is very difficult due to all the other metals, hot rocks, nuggets, etc. I even participated in a seance.

S

stefen

If you participated in a seance, you probably don't have a ghost of a chance in finding anything ???

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Stefen wrote:
If you participated in a seance, you probably don't have a ghost of a chance in finding anything
Oh ha ha, yeesh now that is a cheap pun! ::) :o ;D :D ;)

OP
OP
W

WetButte

Jan 3, 2008
stefen said:
If you participated in a seance, you probably don't have a ghost of a chance in finding anything ???

I have found quite a lot, just not the buried treasure.

And not by seance. But it WAS a naked moonlight seance with 2 beautiful young women, so I still count that as a win.

S

stefen

WetButte said:
stefen said:

I have found quite a lot, just not the buried treasure.

And not by seance. But it WAS a naked moonlight seance with 2 beautiful young women, so I still count that as a win.

So your saying that you are a stand-up guy ;D

Good luck in your search...lets hear more of the outcome

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it WAS a naked moonlight seance with 2 beautiful young women, so I still count that as a win.

Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me.... :)

I'd call it a win too !

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any info on the OP? Sorry to bring up a super old post, but I'm doing some research for a college project. And as far as I've found - Nobody but Uncle Sam owns this land....In case anyone was wondering.

Sourdough moe

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question

In September 1939, 4 people were murdered at a gold mine in Alaska. About 420 ounces were found in the woodpile at their cabin, but much more is buried somewhere. I am the owner of that mine. Here is some info: "The Mystery of the Cache Creek Murders.", and the link is here: http://www.alaskafreegold.com-a.googlepages.com/home4322
Do uou own the claim still and can I pay to metal detect it and split anything I find

Sourdough moe

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow mist be the writer of the book trying to make sales so if no one owns it can I metal detect it???

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There’s a LOT of land back there that is all claimed. Plus it is very diverse soil. Hard to detect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Should be some newspaper articles out there covering the murders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread