Lost in the Superstitions

Jun 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is everything now about facts? Who did what...when...why? Have any of you been lost in the Superstitions? Have any of you even hiked in the superstitions? Or do most just go off of others information from afar? Or maybe you are experienced?
Is native lore and experience alive and true? There are alot of questions here and nobody really pays attention as I can see. Ive seen some programs on television but nobody on those shows adress any spiritual aspects of any issues associated with th mountains. You might be surprised that I am a white caucasion that would frequent the mountains in the early 90s. Not for the gold but for the challenge. If you want to hear my story let me know...if not let me know There are things there that warrant respect. Other than fiction.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canon de Odo, I must confess that I haven't. Most of my explorations were in Mexico. My interest lies in the Caballo as an intermediate storage area for/ of the production of Tayopa, and associated Mexican mines. They were the source for the Dorel bars.:coffee2::coffee2:

Last edited:

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, eager to hear your story Canyon, do continue.

"Two men stand in the same place, one finds it spiritual and the other does not.
Maybe it's not the location that's spiritual." ;)

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, eager to hear your story Canyon, do continue.

"Two men stand in the same place, one finds it spiritual and the other does not.
Maybe it's not the location that's spiritual." ;)

Maybe the other is just ... lost . :p

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is everything now about facts? Who did what...when...why? Have any of you been lost in the Superstitions? Have any of you even hiked in the superstitions? Or do most just go off of others information from afar? Or maybe you are experienced?
Is native lore and experience alive and true? There are alot of questions here and nobody really pays attention as I can see. Ive seen some programs on television but nobody on those shows adress any spiritual aspects of any issues associated with th mountains. You might be surprised that I am a white caucasion that would frequent the mountains in the early 90s. Not for the gold but for the challenge. If you want to hear my story let me know...if not let me know There are things there that warrant respect. Other than fiction.
Went in the 90's and 2001. Found an old(?) camp site with a prospect hole. Still have the old coffee cup from the camp. Won't hold much coffee as it is really thick. Late 50's, early 60's.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiked and rode the Superstitions in the late 1960s-1970s. Kinda like a woman - The more beautiful, the more they're likely to kill you.

Attachments

• Cvf45.JPG
    Cvf45.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 135
  • bvgjygf.jpg
    bvgjygf.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20151216_140750.jpg
    IMG_20151216_140750.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 136
  • AGATRIPPhotos 033.jpg
    AGATRIPPhotos 033.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Weav7.jpg
    Weav7.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 147

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I posted these before, but I'll give them to you again. My brother and I went in from First Water Trail head and stopped for a break. Heard this noise coming down the trail. Crack, crack, crack. Then this much older man came down the trail hitting 2 sticks together. "What are you hitting the sticks for?" "To keep the bears away." Now in case that didn't work, he also was packing a .44 Mag, like Dirty Harry.
Came in Peralta trail head and ran into the foreman of the ranch near there. He told us about the time he was packing his family in to a spring that he had checked out as still running for a weeks camping. As they were about 8 miles from the trail head they came upon a man sitting on a rock next to the trail. "What happened?" "I twisted my knee. I'm waiting for the Rangers to come through and get me out." "This is National Forest, not National Park. They don't come in here but about every 3-6 months. Do you need water?" They gave him water to drink and then asked if he wanted to go in with them and come out in a week. "No, it's O.K." "Do you have any matches or a lighter?" "No, I don't smoke." "What's that got to do with it? It's going to drop over 40 to 50 degrees at night. You are going to need a fire." They gave him some matches and then asked him for a phone number and a name to contact when they came back out in a week. "Why?" "So we can tell them the last place you were alive so they can search for your body." As they left him and started towards were they were going to camp, he looked back and could see him hobbling down the trail towards First Water Trailhead. When you go into the Sups, unless you meet someone, your on your own. In there it can go from 120 day to 50 or 60 at night during the summer.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canyon del Oro,

Many of the posters on this thread have gone into the Sups, several still go, and many have not/do not (including me, which is one reason I tend not to post much on this thread). I have gone into the desert in various locations for more years than I care to count, but not into the Sups. We would all like to hear your tale.

JB

Rando Wendt

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2021
Chandler Arizona
Detector(s) used
Divining rod
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hiked and mountain biked the Superstition mountain area hundreds of times over the past 45 years. I've seen the lights, found many caves, tools, ruins, artifacts...you name it. You're not going to find anything from stories, maps, stone maps or your couch. The only way to know what's there is to go there yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread