Lost Mens Wedding Ring, Key West FL

joeld

Jun 6, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Lost Men's Wedding Ring, Key West FL

Hello everyone,
I received an email this morning from someone on this site suggesting I post a help request (he must have seen my "please help" on craigslist). Here's hoping!

While on our honeymoon in early May 2011, I lost my gold wedding band (men's size) on the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Basically a wave washed it off my hand somehow and it was buried in the shallows right next to the shoreline. I didn't notice until a few minutes after I lost it, and visibility was just too poor to recover it. I later rented a metal detector -- the only one I could find for rental on the island, but it wasn't an underwater model so I didn't really get anywhere in four hours of looking. I finally had to give up, and left a description of the ring with the park ranger's gate and with the concession stand.

My wife has been extremely understanding, but since she bought it for me out of her own small savings and it is the ring we used in our ceremony, we would be extremely grateful to have it back again.

It is yellow gold with a certain amount of detail, no jewels or inscription. If you are interested I can give you very specific info on where it was lost (pinpoint on Google maps) and what it looks like. (Not sure what the procedure is, if I should just post that information publicly here or what.) We'd certainly be willing to compensate the finder in some way. Thank you for your time!

[edit: removed some of the location info per admin suggestion]

Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Lost Men's Wedding Ring, Key West FL

DON'T POST THE INFO PUBLICLY! You have already posted FAR too much info.

I'd edit this post and just say Key West. It's not like it's a big island.

There are people that lurk here to find places to hunt.

Wait for someone to get back to you and do it through PMs.

There are a lot of people on this site that are in South Florida that I'm sure would love to help you out.

Good luck and I hope you get your ring back.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Honey, I would try to step up, it's a little far for me, as I have much work this week. If I head that way, I will pm ya. Good luck!

The guys are right, edit location some, I can't believe ppl sometimes, but I've seen a lot of things.
There are detectors down in S miami and the keys, surely someone, can step up to the plate for you.

jjg70

Dec 12, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. Garrett AT Pro

If you can't find anyone in the area to search for it, try this site, www.lostmystuff.net
It's a network of metal detectorists and everyone gets an email regarding your lost item and if someone lives by you or is traveling thru and can help you they will email you

OP
OP
joeld

joeld

Jun 6, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

badman#5 said:
ft.zack taylor state park .no hunting >:(

Well, some points on that:

• I took my rented metal detector in without any issues - I'd told the ranger at the gate that I was looking for my wedding ring and he didn't even mention my metal detector. Also no one bugged me about it for four hours.
  • When I first lost the ring, I went to ask the concessions people if there were any metal detectors on hand, and they said no but didn't mention it not being allowed -- and they also said that often times they'd see people with detectors but hadn't seen any for "a few days".
  • I've read of others on this site using their detectors at this beach.

So, although it may not be allowed in theory, it doesn't seem to be a real problem, as long as you keep to the beach and stay away from the historical areas.

badman#5

Greenie
Jun 7, 2011

Joeld,you were right on ,I made a call to the gate. :thumbsup:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Not supposed to go below the high tide line either,military base unexploded munitions don't ya know,that's what the Ranger told me.Loved Key West!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread