jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True! To add to that, I had heard stories from my grandfather of UPRR bringing out the wreck train with a dozer and burying cars right beside the tracks that they considered un-salvageable. In later years got to go up towards Utah to a derailment and saw this first hand. Right now I know where they buried eleven box cars out in Calif. We were searching & happened to spot some dark colored mounds. It was coffee beans!!!! We dug down & hit the tops of the box cars. The pack rats were slowly but surely emptying the cars. All I could picture was a bunch of pack rats all wired out of their minds going 110 mph across the desert!

So, there's probably a ton of stuff out there to be found. Only question is if the shipper & RR said to heck with it & wrote it off would it be worth the effort monetarily. Then if it was far enough off the right of way so you wouldn't be illegally salvaging.

Anyone wanna buy some well aged coffee beans?:tongue3::tongue3: I'll give you a map. :laughing7::laughing7:

LOL Poop Coffee poop.jpg The most expensive coffee in the world – kopi luwak : Kopi luwak or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet.
all I can think is someone needed a cup of coffee Real Bad,
to pick the beans out of poop, Grind them up & brew 'em.

Get that pack rat poop , Brew a Cup of Coffee & decide what it is worth :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I can confirm having family members and friends that worked for Southern Pacific(Now Union Pacific).
If a derailment happens it is all written off for Insurance and buried next to the tracks. They usually
don't bury the whole train car. Bulldozers are brought in to trench and the then used for compaction.

Somewhere in AZ lies about 50 smashed Cadillacs , Fruit juice and many other things. LOL

Signalman friend brought us garbage bags of cotton rags one time.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can confirm having family members and friends that worked for Southern Pacific(Now Union Pacific).
If a derailment happens it is all written off for Insurance and buried next to the tracks. They usually
don't bury the whole train car. Bulldozers are brought in to trench and the then used for compaction.

Somewhere in AZ lies about 50 smashed Cadillacs , Fruit juice and many other things. LOL

Signalman friend brought us garbage bags of cotton rags one time.
Yup! One of Grandpas friends worked in a warehouse at the N Vegas yard (when it was still there) These folks would take the overweight cars and off load them until they were within the weight limits. His friend would let us kids pick through the stuff after the shipper said they didn't want to pay for shipping it back. Imagine every 4th grader in my class with a high end executives desk set!

Speaking of the Vegas yard, I'd bet if you went out where it was and searched NE of the Union Plaza you'd come up with some goodies! Seen a lot of car toads falling & flying :laughing7: and I'm sure bib overall pockets don't hold on to change very good! Still got pictures of the main building and the inspectors shack. Still laugh about my grandfather & all his friends owning shovels etc. stamped with UPRR. He used to joke "Oh yeah! I bought those down at Uncle Petes Roast Ribs".:tongue3:

BTW Chiltepin, You really need to take that recipe off!!! Dang! every time I read one of your posts or comments I get hungry!:tongue3: And even worse! Start drooling on the keyboard! :laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Poop Coffee View attachment 1501685 The most expensive coffee in the world – kopi luwak : Kopi luwak or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet.
all I can think is someone needed a cup of coffee Real Bad,
to pick the beans out of poop, Grind them up & brew 'em.

Get that pack rat poop , Brew a Cup of Coffee & decide what it is worth :thumbsup:
Now you got me thinking Jeff........ My labby doesn't process corn. We joke she's going out to make fritters! Wonder what those kernels would be worth if I put em in bags with GOURMET in huge letters on the bag? Just thinkin............

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt! I think that and how many times the bottles been around the campfire circle adds a lot to these stories. How many times have you gotten two or three sentences into a story or account and are asking yourself have I read this before?!?! Another example is do like Jeff does & search the papers. Amazing how a story gets contorted in just days as it makes its way from paper to paper in just a week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread