Love Old Maps....

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to share some input on this one because I think it is so cool. Not to mention, it reminds me of National Treasure - one of my all-time favorite treasure hunting movies.

This is a snippet of a map of Bedford County, 1864. You can find this map at the LOC (so National Treasure-esque!).

3-Bufords.PNG

It is plain to see that the left Buford is Locust Level - that right one throws me off. Distance between them is about a mile and a quarter....but you have to take into consideration the "about 4 miles from Buford's" from #2.

Here is a terrain map for you, too...I annotated each and made 4 mi markers at all compass points from each center point.

Terrain-map.PNG

These are just the maps...so now, the ciphers. I do not claim to know the answer to them as many have tried to prove themselves as a master decipher-er (if that is even a word).

I took the liberty of copying, by hand, the DOI from the Beale Papers. To the extent of the numbering scheme as well. Here it is:
==============================================
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary (10) for one people to dissolve the political bands which have (20) connected them with another, and to assume among the powers (30) of the earth, the separate and equal station to which (40) the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them (50), a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that (60) they should declare the causes which impel them to the (70) separation.

We hold these truths to be self evident, that (80) all men are created equal, that they are endowed by (90) their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are (100) Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure (110) these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just (120) powers from the consent of the governed. —That whenever any (130) Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is (140) the right of the People to alter or to abolish (150) it, and to institute a new Government, laying its foundation (160) on (160) such principles, and organizing its powers in such form (170), as (170) to them shall seem most likely to effect their (180) Safety (180) and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long (190) established (190) should not be changed for light and transient causes (200); and (200) accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are now (210) more disposed (210) to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right (220) themselves (220) by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed (230). But (230) when a long train of abuses and usurpations pursuing (240) invariably (240) the same Object, evinces a design to reduce them (250-2) under (250) absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their (260-2) duty (260), to throw off such Government, and to provide new (270-2) Guards (270) for their future security. Such has been the patient (280-2) sufferance (280) of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity (290-2) which (290) constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government (300-2). The (300) history of the present King of Great Britain is (310-2) a (310) history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in (320-2) direct (320) object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over (330) these (330-2) States (330). To prove this let Facts be submitted to (340) a (340-2) candid (340) world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws (350), the (350-2) most (350) wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He (360) has (360-2) forbidden (360) his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and (370) pressing (370-2) importance (370), unless suspended in their operation till his Assent (380) should (380-2) be (380) obtained; and, when so suspended, he has utterly (390) neglected (390-2) to (390) attend to them.

He has refused to pass (400) other (400-2) Laws (400) for the accommodation of large districts of people (410), unless (410-2) those (410) people would relinquish the right of Representation in (420) the (420-2) Legislature (420), a right inestimable to them, and formidable to (430) tyrants (430-2) only (430).

He has called together legislative bodies at places (440) unusual (440-2), uncomfortable (440), and distant from the depository of their public (450) Records (450-2), for (450) the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance (460) with (460-2) his (460) measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly for (470) opposing (470-2) with (470) manly firmness his invasions on the rights of (480) the (480-2) people (480).

He has refused for a long time after (490/480) such (490-2/480-2) dissolutions (480) to cause others to be elected, whereby the (500/490) Legislative (500-2/490-2) powers (490), incapable of Annihilation have returned to the People (510/500) at (510-2/500-2) large (500) for their exercise, the State remaining, in the (520/510) meantime (510), exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without (530/520), and (520) convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population (540/530) of (530) these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for (550/540) Naturalization (540) of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their (560/550) migrations (550) hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of (570/560) Lands (560).

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing (580/570) his (570) Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.

He has (590/580) made (580) Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure (600/590) of (590) their offices, and the amount and payment of their (610/600) salaries (600).

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and (620/610) sent (610) hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and (630/620) eat (620) out their substance.

He has kept among us, in (640/630) times (630) of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures (650/640).

He (640) has affected to render the Military independent of and (660/650) superior (650) to the Civil power.

He has combined with others (670/660) to (660) subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution (680/670), and (670) unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts (690/680) of (680) pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops (700/690) among (690) us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from (710/700) punishment (700) for any Murders which they should commit on the (720/710) Inhabitants (710) of these States:

For cutting off our trade with (730/720) all (720) parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us (740/730) without (730) our Consent —For depriving us in many cases of (750/740) the (740) benefits of Trial by jury:

For transporting us beyond (760/750) Seas (750) to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the (770/760) free (760) System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing (780/770) therein (770) an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as (790/780) to (780) render it at once an example and fit instrument (800/790) for (790) introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:

For (810/800) taking (800) away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and (820/810) altering (810) fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our (830/820) own (820) Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate (840/830) for (830) us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government (850/840) here (840) by declaring us out of his Protection, and waging (860/850) war (850) against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our (870/860) Coasts (860), burnt our towns, and destroyed the Lives of our (880/870) people (870).

He is at this time transporting large Armies of (890/880) foreign (880) Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and (900/890) tyranny (890), already begun with circumstances of cruelty and perfidy scarcely (910/900) paralleled (900) in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the (920/910) Head (910) of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow (930/920) citizens (920) taken Captive on (960) the high Seas, to bear arms (940/930) against (930) their Country, to (970) become the executioners of their friends (950/940) and (940) Brethren, or to (980) fall themselves by their Hands.

He (960/950) has (950) excited domestic insurrection (920)(990) among (920) us, and has endeavoured to (970/960) bring (960)(930) on the inhabitants (1000) of (930) our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages (970)(940), whose known rule of (940) warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of (980)(950) all ages, sexes and (950) conditions.

He has constrained our fellow (960) citizens (920) taken Captive on (960) the high Seas, to bear arms (970) against (930) their Country, to (970) become the executioners of their friends (980) and (940) Brethren, or to (980) fall themselves by their Hands.
In (990) every stage of these (990) Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress (1000) in the most humble (1000) terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated (1010) injuries.

A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations which would inevitably interrupt our connection and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must therefore acquiesce in the necessity which denounces our separation and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends. We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, that these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent states, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
=============================================
As you will see above, there are multiple numbered words. Well, this is something I thought was interesting as well. The version used to decode #2 was done by the awkward numbering of the DOI mixed with a few added words (such as 'a' at 155 above and there is another one as well at 210, the word 'now'). There is also a paragraph (between 910 and 1000+) that appears out of place.

After reading up on the site The Beale Papers they attempt at creating the altered version that I did above. Please note that when you actually follow the author's numbering scheme as well with moved paragraph, you will notice that the words are perfectly written in the decoded #2 - much like the letters to Morriss were. I even tested this theory myself and was able to get the exact wording as it was decoded here:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Decoded #2
"I have deposited in the county of Bedford, about four miles from Buford's in an excavation, or vault, six feet below the surface of the ground, the following articles belonging jointly to the parties whose names are given in number three herewith

The first deposit consisted of Ten hundred and fourteen pounds of gold and thirty eight hundred and twelve pounds of silver deposited Nov(ember) eighteen nineteen.

The Second was made Dec(ember) eighteen twenty-one and consisted of nineteen hundred and seven pounds of gold and twelve hundred and eighty-eight of silver; also jewels obtained in St. Louis in exchange for silver to save transportation and valued at thirteen thousand dollars

The above is securely packed in iron pots with iron covers. The vault is roughly lined with stone and the vessels rest on solid stone, and are covered with others. Paper number one describes the exact locality of the vault, so that no difficulty will be had in finding it"
-------------------------------------------------------------
What complicates things further, is that #1 and #3 have numbers that are beyond the scope of the DOI used by the author of the Papers as the DOI is 1333 words in length. This begs to differ that there is another key - yet that would go against what was stated by the letter to Morriss dated January 4th, 1822. It mentions in the box content letters 'a key', 'a key', and 'the key' respectively. Here are those locations:

Jan 4th 1822, "The papers enclosed herewith will be unintelligible without the key, which will reach you in time,"

May 9th, 1822 (mentioned twice), "You will find, in addition to the papers addressed to you, other papers which will be unintelligible without the aid of a key to assist you. Such a key I have left in the hands of a friend in this place, sealed, addressed to yourself, and endorsed not to be delivered until June, 1832."

An alternative, is that if you take out all of the numbers prior to the author's screw ups (I had decided on 160, myself - the word 'foundation'), you can see that it is unintelligible but for a few words that come out. In one instance, I believed to have seen IND for Indiana for a round of decoding #3...that was even pushing it since there is an added word. I may go for 150 next time I try it.

If one would confer using a 3-key cipher, one would have to view what 3 pertinent documents would be key to them. Well, we know of 1, the DOI. What about the AOC? What about the USC? The USC is without a shadow of a doubt longer than the DOI...so it makes you think further.

Upon watching some videos on the subject, there was a History Channel video that a guy said "I found it" and "it has to do with Edgar Allan Poe's the Gold Bug". If that were the case, it would have to have been mentioned as plural - keys...but it is not.

Using technology, one can probably do a pretty good job at figuring out a majority of the letters in each. Here are some suggested sites:

https://www.dcode.fr/book-cipher
http://spellbackwards.com/

Overall, this is just a portion of my workings up to this point. I am going to focus on this again soon, but wanted to share. Oh...and I attached my renumbering work to this message.

Have fun!

Attachments

• DOI-Author-Version(1).doc
    46 KB · Views: 82

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think before we can proceed to try to decode the reaming ciphers we must first examine the source in search of any obvious flaws, to which there are many, some of these even relating to the ciphers, letters, etc. The reason we want to do this first is because this information can then, perhaps, help us in our efforts at attacking the ciphers.

I think one thing that needs to be kept in mind is the notion that this secret was allegedly so important that it was allegedly entrusted to just one man, Morriss (that we know of according to the source). So one needs to ask himself the following, "If the secret was so important that it required a secret executor to carry it out, then why create a system of complex ciphers that this individual, (or his chosen successor, as ended up being the alleged case) might never be able to carry it out due to the complexity of the ciphers? This makes no sense and it is inconsistent with the tale.

The second thing one needs to ask themselves is, "How did the original coder of the cipher know that some completely unknown decoder in the future was going to lay them out according to their length and number them 1,2,3, in the correct order without any instruction to do so whatsoever? And remember, according to the author he did this "before" he ever saw the plain text for C2? So clearly this tells us that the first, the author lied about how they came to be numbered 1,2,3, and second, it tells us that the unknown author had prior knowledge as to the order of the cipher. And last, if the author could lay the ciphers out according to their length then he had already established an identifiable order, their difference in length, so why bother to number them at all?

These are just some of the many issues with the tale that render it highly inaccurate and intentionally deceptive, and remember, the alleged letter sare simply a portion of that same tale as no evidence of their actual existence exist outside of the tale.

So my point here is this, those remaining ciphers become extremely suspect, and especially C2. I mean, given that the unknown author was so inaccurate and deceptive in his tale then why put any stock in his claims as to what the remaining ciphers actually contain, or that they contain any actual plain text at all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dardariel

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think before we can proceed to try to decode the reaming ciphers we must first examine the source in search of any obvious flaws, to which there are many, some of these even relating to the ciphers, letters, etc. The reason we want to do this first is because this information can then, perhaps, help us in our efforts at attacking the ciphers.

I think one thing that needs to be kept in mind is the notion that this secret was allegedly so important that it was allegedly entrusted to just one man, Morriss (that we know of according to the source). So one needs to ask himself the following, "If the secret was so important that it required a secret executor to carry it out, then why create a system of complex ciphers that this individual, (or his chosen successor, as ended up being the alleged case) might never be able to carry it out due to the complexity of the ciphers? This makes no sense and it is inconsistent with the tale.

The second thing one needs to ask themselves is, "How did the original coder of the cipher know that some completely unknown decoder in the future was going to lay them out according to their length and number them 1,2,3, in the correct order without any instruction to do so whatsoever? And remember, according to the author he did this "before" he ever saw the plain text for C2? So clearly this tells us that the first, the author lied about how they came to be numbered 1,2,3, and second, it tells us that the unknown author had prior knowledge as to the order of the cipher. And last, if the author could lay the ciphers out according to their length then he had already established an identifiable order, their difference in length, so why bother to number them at all?

These are just some of the many issues with the tale that render it highly inaccurate and intentionally deceptive, and remember, the alleged letter sare simply a portion of that same tale as no evidence of their actual existence exist outside of the tale.

So my point here is this, those remaining ciphers become extremely suspect, and especially C2. I mean, given that the unknown author was so inaccurate and deceptive in his tale then why put any stock in his claims as to what the remaining ciphers actually contain, or that they contain any actual plain text at all?

I agree! I just wonder though...who is H. Reiharht? Anyone have a guess?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Doesn't matter; THAT area has Villamont, Va. (once known as IRONVILLE); Lynchburg Mines were near-by as well as IRON MINES HOLLER off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. MANY Iron Ore Mines in THAT area were worked, & may well had been mistakened for Beale Treasure "deposit site". There is even a HUGE Quarry up there...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dardariel

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have been having fun with #3 today. #1 will come along soon enough.

"Decoded #3"
aichreiharht?sttdaadlataocttawtpaeewdttboafrma
dhdnfoebotaabmpsotamaiatsboeiinrantaleehmtao
gitseaasrwthoeabttreaaccttdcgaatrtwtpdiphbeofo
aetobtdmmatwsaccstttebawasttaaanhrttjboltdcat
sotnottncteanbtiofsatagiswrfathaoawtwptthattelis
olswtcohattwoeeawpaolhfwraatawitaohocgdrtfem
fbasaaatecoctaraenttarotmtboahftonaeattmtwbst
uigsboawlhsgctdckp?dbcscwtcgrocrt?wmtsftbstm
u?tttotbedaeteatrtoadtttotstiwphtp?otfwbrtndww
scjbwheragbtlg?tutattrelbptatwrgawpmgsttgittwt
djftthctwtlcgerts??tmt?oroorpswdtbtloetaaittpds
attrctbita????acbctdmtotttrbwstsoohstwthr??cae
o???wwafslwwecrcmito?wtrehosnewtndrcsiitr???
?o?ntbotslttaaeattf?bwhr???

#3 with spaces
aich reiharht ?sttdaadlataocttawtpa eewdt tboa frma - Aich (H) Reiharht (undeciphered) tweed boat farm
gitseaasrwthoeabt treaaccttdc ga atrtwtpdiphbeofo
sotnottncteanbtiof satagiswrfathaoawtwptthattelis

The areas of concern are abbreviations. Here are the states that were around during that time period (in order of ratification):
Delaware - 1787
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Georgia
Connecticuit
Massachusetts
Maryland
South Carolina
New Hampshire
Virginia
New York
North Carolina
Rhode Island
Vermont
Kentucky
Tennessee
Ohio
Louisiana
Inidiana
Mississippi
Illinois
Alabama
Maine
Missouri - 1821

Now, you can't use the common abbreviations for these...so...in doing some research, here are the abbreviations of each of these (during that time period):

Delaware - De.
Pennsylvania - Pa.
New Jersey - N.J.
Georgia - Ga.
Connecticuit - Ct.
Massachusetts - Ms.
Maryland - Md.
South Carolina - S.C.
New Hampshire - N.H.
Virginia - Va.
New York - N.Y.
North Carolina - N.C.
Rhode Island - R.I.
Vermont - Vt.
Kentucky - Ky.
Tennessee - Te.
Ohio - O.
Louisiana - La.
Inidiana - Ia.
Mississippi - Mi.
Illinois - Il.
Alabama - Al.
Maine - Me.
Missouri - Mo.

Including the Aich piece from above, I went through this 'decode version' and found a total of 23 state abbreviations:

aich reiharht?sttdaad LA tao CT tawt PA eewdt (tweed) tboa (boat) frma (farm) dhdnfoebotaabmpsotama IA tsboeiinrant AL eehmtaogitseaasrwthoeabttreaac CT tdc GA atrtwtpdiphbeofoaetobtdmmatwsaccstt TE bawasttaaa NH rttjboltdcatsotnottn CT eanbtiofsatagiswrfathaoawtwptthat TE lisolswtcohattwoeeaw PA olhfwraatawitaohocgdrtfemfbasaaa TE co CT araenttarotmtboahftonaeattmtwbstuigsboawlhsg CT dckp?dbc SC wtcgrocrt?wmtsftbstmu?tttotbedae TE atrtoadtttotstiwphtp?otfwbrtndww SC jbwheragbtlg?tutattrelbptatwr GA wpmgsttgittwtdjftth CT wtlcgerts??tmt?oroorpswdtbtloetaaittpdsattr CT bita????acb CT dmtotttrbwstsoohstwthr??caeo???wwafslwwecrc MI to?wtrehosnewtndrcsiitr????o?ntbotslttaaeattf?bwhr???

Being that Ohio is just 'O', that one was excluded. In having fun with this, I then went through and looked for some other abbreviations - that of cities and townships. For instance, in the first line after CT above, there is TAWT. WT could equate to TW, which means Town, with TA equating to Taylor - Taylorstown. Yes, it is a real town in PA.

WT shows up another 6 times for a total of 7, and TW shows up 8 times - 15 times this shows up.

aichreiharht?sttdaad LA tao CT ta wt PA eewdttboafrmadhdnfoebotaabmpsotama IA tsboeiinrant AL eehmtaogitseaasr wt hoeabttreaac CT tdc GA atr tw tpdiphbeofoaetobtdmma tw saccstt TE bawasttaaa NH rttjboltdcatsotnottn CT eanbtiofsatagiswrfathaoaw tw ptthat TE lisols wt cohat tw oeeaw PA olhfwraatawitaohocgdrtfemfbasaaa TE co CT araenttarotmtboahftonaeattm tw bstuigsboawlhsg CT dckp?dbc SC wt cgrocrt?wmtsftbstmu?tttotbedae TE atrtoadtttotstiwphtp?otfwbrtndww SC jbwheragbtlg?tutattrelbpta tw r GA wpmgsttgit tw tdjftth CT wt lcgerts??tmt?oroorpswdtbtloetaaittpdsattr CT bita????acb CT dmtotttrbwstsoohs tw thr??caeo???wwafslwwecrc MI to? wt rehosne wt ndrcsiitr????o?ntbotslttaaeattf?bwhr???

Will add to this after I finally finish...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if your alleged ciphers aren't in English? Or in the case of 3, what if all of those names and residences have Spanish, English, French, influences/origins, etc.? This is why it's vital that some prior knowledge of the "exact" cipher contents and construction is known before any attempted decoding process can even begin. :thumbsup:

In the case of C1, per example, you will likely arrive at a 65-75% (give or take) grammatically correct plain text before you'll encounter a complete train wreck from that point forward. In fact, this is already certain without the hopeful decoder making changes to the existing codes.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I have been having fun with #3 today. #1 will come along soon enough.

"Decoded #3"
aichreiharht?sttdaadlataocttawtpaeewdttboafrma
gitseaasrwthoeabttreaaccttdcgaatrtwtpdiphbeofo
sotnottncteanbtiofsatagiswrfathaoawtwptthattelis

#3 with spaces
aich reiharht ?sttdaadlataocttawtpa eewdt tboa frma - Aich (H) Reiharht (undeciphered) tweed boat farm
gitseaasrwthoeabt treaaccttdc ga atrtwtpdiphbeofo
sotnottncteanbtiof satagiswrfathaoawtwptthattelis

The areas of concern are abbreviations. Here are the states that were around during that time period (in order of ratification):
Delaware - 1787
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Georgia
Connecticuit
Massachusetts
Maryland
South Carolina
New Hampshire
Virginia
New York
North Carolina
Rhode Island
Vermont
Kentucky
Tennessee
Ohio
Louisiana
Inidiana
Mississippi
Illinois
Alabama
Maine
Missouri - 1821

Now, you can't use the common abbreviations for these...so...in doing some research, here are the abbreviations of each of these (during that time period):

Delaware - De.
Pennsylvania - Pa.
New Jersey - N.J.
Georgia - Ga.
Connecticuit - Ct.
Massachusetts - Ms.
Maryland - Md.
South Carolina - S.C.
New Hampshire - N.H.
Virginia - Va.
New York - N.Y.
North Carolina - N.C.
Rhode Island - R.I.
Vermont - Vt.
Kentucky - Ky.
Tennessee - Te.
Ohio - O.
Louisiana - La.
Inidiana - Ia.
Mississippi - Mi.
Illinois - Il.
Alabama - Al.
Maine - Me.
Missouri - Mo.

Including the Aich piece from above, I went through this 'decode version' and found a total of 23 state abbreviations:

aich reiharht?sttdaad LA tao CT tawt PA eewdt (tweed) tboa (boat) frma (farm) dhdnfoebotaabmpsotama IA tsboeiinrant AL eehmtaogitseaasrwthoeabttreaac CT tdc GA atrtwtpdiphbeofoaetobtdmmatwsaccstt TE bawasttaaa NH rttjboltdcatsotnottn CT eanbtiofsatagiswrfathaoawtwptthat TE lisolswtcohattwoeeaw PA olhfwraatawitaohocgdrtfemfbasaaa TE co CT araenttarotmtboahftonaeattmtwbstuigsboawlhsg CT dckp?dbc SC wtcgrocrt?wmtsftbstmu?tttotbedae TE atrtoadtttotstiwphtp?otfwbrtndww SC jbwheragbtlg?tutattrelbptatwr GA wpmgsttgittwtdjftth CT wtlcgerts??tmt?oroorpswdtbtloetaaittpdsattr CT bita????acb CT dmtotttrbwstsoohstwthr??caeo???wwafslwwecrc MI to?wtrehosnewtndrcsiitr????o?ntbotslttaaeattf?bwhr???

Being that Ohio is just 'O', that one was excluded. In having fun with this, I then went through and looked for some other abbreviations - that of cities and townships. For instance, in the first line after CT above, there is TAWT. WT could equate to TW, which means Town, with TA equating to Taylor - Taylorstown. Yes, it is a real town in PA.

WT shows up another 6 times for a total of 7, and TW shows up 8 times - 15 times this shows up.

aichreiharht?sttdaad LA tao CT ta wt PA eewdttboafrmadhdnfoebotaabmpsotama IA tsboeiinrant AL eehmtaogitseaasr wt hoeabttreaac CT tdc GA atr tw tpdiphbeofoaetobtdmma tw saccstt TE bawasttaaa NH rttjboltdcatsotnottn CT eanbtiofsatagiswrfathaoaw tw ptthat TE lisols wt cohat tw oeeaw PA olhfwraatawitaohocgdrtfemfbasaaa TE co CT araenttarotmtboahftonaeattm tw bstuigsboawlhsg CT dckp?dbc SC wt cgrocrt?wmtsftbstmu?tttotbedae TE atrtoadtttotstiwphtp?otfwbrtndww SC jbwheragbtlg?tutattrelbpta tw r GA wpmgsttgit tw tdjftth CT wt lcgerts??tmt?oroorpswdtbtloetaaittpdsattr CT bita????acb CT dmtotttrbwstsoohs tw thr??caeo???wwafslwwecrc MI to? wt rehosne wt ndrcsiitr????o?ntbotslttaaeattf?bwhr???

Will add to this after I finally finish...
Why the map of Bedford County, Va. (1864), then...? Have YOU ever been to Bedford County, VA...?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Your location of "LL" (Locust Level) is incorrect; "LL" is south of Montvale, Va. ACROSS Rt. 460.

OP
OP
Dardariel

Dardariel

Oct 27, 2018
Canyon, TX
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click on the map pic, Rebel - it is south and across from 460 :) I pulled the GPS coordinates from the site on Locust Level to ensure its accurate location.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click on the map pic, Rebel - it is south and across from 460 :) I pulled the GPS coordinates from the site on Locust Level to ensure its accurate location.

You are off by a few hundred yards on Locust Level and about 1/2 mile off on Buford's #2. Terrain-map.PNG

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The "PoI" are different from PV's book, THE BEALE TREASURE: A History of A MYSTERY, p. 196...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your site #2, I searched it back in the late 1970's over 40 years ago. Nice location. Old roads, creek crossing, a mill dam. I metal detected it all even the walls that supported the roads and the root cellars and old home sites and honey holes. NADA. I even went to the gentlemen's house on the opposite side of the creek. His name and I mean his real name was Major General Murdock. Not a general but his name, first name Major middle name General and last name Murdock. His doberman dogs almost tore the catalytic converter out from under my car as I had ran through a highway filled with deer parts and blood. There are new houses and lots in the area now and it is very difficult to search again. Most of what was there is gone now.

I forgot I have also metal detected the median between the four lanes of US 460, up and down the old road between the four lanes, the railroad ride-a-way and on the opposite side of the four lane behind the church that Paschal Buford built. The cemetery where a man said the treasure was buried in a cemetery. Also where Mel Fisher dug. I had a contract with the family. At first they wanted no one to search as Mel Fisher and others did not refill their dug holes.

The old road crossed at the over pass across the railroad and I searched that road all the way to the top of Taylor's Mountain where another treasure hunter in the 1980's said they found the treasure. They did not find anything. I knew the landowners and talked with them often.

I have searched around the top of that mountain to where Murrel's Gap trail crossed with the old Stage road to Smyrna. and then across the Blue Ridge at the Black Horse Taverns. The three creeks that head up on Taylor's Mountain and goes off to North Goose Creek I have searched all of them. Also where Sanford Bowers lived and a treasure hunter said the treasure was in his ice house but it was now gone. I have searched all up and down the creeks and cemeteries and even the properties where I could not get permission to search. I have been chased by raging bulls, and walked up on sleep walking bears in the night. Almost shot by would be partners and treasure hunters. There is not much more anyone else can do searching for the Beale Treasure. I made over 200 round trips to Montvale and Lynchburg in one year with about 100 miles each way for about 20,000 miles a year for at least five years. I have worn out six of Peter Viemeister's treasure books. I have read and purchased every book and checked out every treasure story that has ever been in the newspapers.

So if you can do more by arguing about words and the time they were used and find the treasure, I wish you luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread