Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put in about 12 hours over 2 days hunting some great cuts in Malibu and Ventura. Pretty impressive totals. $56+ in clad, 3 14k rings (15g total), 3 silver rings, one silver thingy, and a TC. There are some awesome cuts out there and I was picking up 2-3 coins in the scoop at times. Surprisingly no silver that I can tell at this point. If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd be back out there.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487536989.158402.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487537004.749252.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487537155.909882.jpg

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like "em all, RC8:headbang:

Fantastic clad count!
Keep 'em comin'!

Lorraine

acemagurgle

Greenie
Jan 12, 2016
Dana point CA
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro / whites surf pro dual field/minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent, stormy conditions sure cut it up

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Seeing posts like this, tells me that a lot of So. CA hunters are asleep at the wheel. I KNEW that there had to be some awesome cuts down there (based on some pix one guy was sending me, although he was un-able to hunt, and is strictly a land-hunter beginner). And occasionally a post , like yours shows up, and .... oddly.... they'll often say they were the "only ones there" and only scratched the surface.

Those of you who know to read the beach and find the right erosion spots, need to teach the next generation down there how to do it.

Our beaches on Monterey bay (5 hrs. north of you) did not fare so well during those last round of storms/winds. And I wondered if So. CA got it better. Looks like it did .

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing posts like this, tells me that a lot of So. CA hunters are asleep at the wheel. I KNEW that there had to be some awesome cuts down there (based on some pix one guy was sending me, although he was un-able to hunt, and is strictly a land-hunter beginner). And occasionally a post , like yours shows up, and .... oddly.... they'll often say they were the "only ones there" and only scratched the surface.

Those of you who know to read the beach and find the right erosion spots, need to teach the next generation down there how to do it.

Our beaches on Monterey bay (5 hrs. north of you) did not fare so well during those last round of storms/winds. And I wondered if So. CA got it better. Looks like it did .

I totally agree Tom. You have to be willing to put in the time and learn to read the beaches. I started my Saturday hunt at 4am in blowing sideways rain and angry seas at my back. Never seen a soul out there and stayed warm from digging so many targets. It's hunts like these that get me to suit up in storms and get out there.

I'll teach the next generation just before I leave this planet....I don't like to share lol!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Never seen a soul out there and stayed warm from digging so many targets. ....

That's just utterly sickening ! And there's no lack of hunters in So. CA ! Why aren't they suiting up and getting out there ?

We have beaches here, that .... when it gets to conditions like that .... there's going to be 5 hardcore guys making sure none of it goes to waste. And I would have THOUGHT that Southern CA Los Angeles should have no shortage of hunters that should know better. Strange.

I recall beaches here, during some storms in decades past, where yes, I was the only one working a fabulous cut. And got to where I could figure out the exact line (parallel band between the cut and the water's edge) where all the targets were appearing. So you could literally walk "right down the line" getting 100 targets per hour (essentially "as fast as you could dig"). Only to be chased out by the tide a few hours later. And what made it sickening, was that it was painfully obvious that the line or pocket went on and on for an entire city block !

The next day it's sanded back in, and I'll never know how much was left there, reclaimed by mother nature. Oh sure, 5 or 10 yrs. later, perhaps the same spot erodes back out, who knows ? So it's gotten to where a network of us up here keeps tabs, and alerts each other so that the spots don't go to waste (assuming it's an in-exhaustible pocket that would go to waste w/o some help).

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some serious cleaning up right there. Super huge congrats on the silver AND gold! As for work....... Aren't you feeling a little under the weather???

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's just utterly sickening ! And there's no lack of hunters in So. CA ! Why aren't they suiting up and getting out there ?

Could be that some storms produced decent cuts that have been completely sterile. It's been streaky here with these storms. I've been relatively shutout with cuts that looked better than ones on this hunt.

Either way, I'll take it as I get it. [emoji4]

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a good 15 hours of beach time from this storm. Was my first weekend beach detecting lol, I think I did pretty good with my pile of clad and a few gold ring ;)

I wish we would have more storms like Lucifer. The tickle of rain that hit today didn't do much at all from what I've heard. Not to mention the tides are all wrong. Lucifer was perfect with low tide hitting around 11am. Got a good high tide shift as well as the low tide cut.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Could be that some storms produced decent cuts that have been completely sterile. It's been streaky here with these storms. I've been relatively shutout with cuts that looked better than ones on this hunt.

Either way, I'll take it as I get it. [emoji4]

Up here @ Monterey bay, it's the same phenomenon: An on-shore wind and swell and tides all seem to coincide "just right". So we rush out to the beach, only to find nothing seems to have changed. No cuts, no scallops, no slopes, etc.... HOWEVER, we have learned to scout multiple beaches. Not just one. Because strangely, 1 beach might be eroding great, just a mere mile away.

I've sometimes had to scout as many as 6 or 7 beaches before finally finding one where mother nature has got a burr in her bonnet going on :) And since it's impossible to keep an eye on all beaches, and sample that many during a single low tide, several of us get on a group text-message, to share reconn. results. So that .... if one guy chances on a good spot, he'll put the word out. And that's expected to reciprocate for future shared reconn's. So that you turn someone on to a spot, and then next time, he expects the same.

Granted this is for times when for a single person or two to get it all, is impossible. It's it's small distinct pockets that can be worked out by the single hunter, he won't bother putting the alert out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread