M1917 helmet?

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Updated list, the probable and new codes are in BOLD RED. I will continue to research and update as new information is found.

Known Heat-Stamp Markings of WWI American M1917 Helmets:
(This list is based on what I have actually seen, more heat stamps might be out there).

The Z, UC, and YJ, ones will be followed by 1, 2 or a 3 digit number. The XH series will be followed by a another letter. I've seen the WA lot with no additional coding following, just trying to remember and look for one with numbers after the WA.

UC
WA
XH (XHE, XHF, XHM, XHQ)
YJ
ZA
ZB
ZC
ZD
ZE
ZF
ZG
ZH
ZJ
ZL ?
ZM
?
ZN

Still trying to confirm the ZL and ZM coded ones. All I can find so far is someone mentioning they have one or seen one. But I haven't seen photos of the code.

Still researching the following lot codes, they are supposedly markings for early experimental/tests helmets by the Crosby Company, with no coding after the 4 letter code.

KCco
NCco
OCco

Last edited:

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Updates:

The Z, UC, and YJ, ones will be followed by 1, 2 or a 3 digit number. The XH series will be followed by a another letter. I've seen the WA lot with no additional coding following, just trying to remember and look for one with numbers after the WA. The Cco (Crosby Company) ones will be preceded by another letter.

UB A new one discovered and confirmed
UC
WA
XH (Followed by E, F, H, M, Q, and X)
YJ
ZA
ZB
ZC
ZD
ZE
ZF
ZG
ZH
ZI Never assigned, never used.
ZJ
ZK Assigned but believed not used.
ZL ?
ZM Confirmed
ZN

KCco, NCco, OCco believed to have been made by Crosby Company.

Also a L one was found without a metal supplier code in front of it. Could be a ZL, still looking on this one.

Last edited:

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Updates: in bold red.

The Z, UC, and YJ, ones will be followed by 1, 2 or a 3 digit number. The XH series will be followed by a another letter. I've seen the WA lot with no additional coding following, just trying to remember and look for one with numbers after the WA. The Cco (Crosby Company) ones will be preceded by another letter. The list slowly grows.

UB A new one discovered and confirmed
UC
WA
XH (Followed by E, F, H, M, Q, and X)
YJ
ZA
ZB
ZC
ZD
ZE
ZF
ZG
ZH
ZI Never assigned, never used.
ZJ
ZK Assigned but believed not used.
ZL ? Maybe found.
ZM Confirmed
ZN

KCco, NCco, OCco believed to have been made by Crosby Company.

Also a L one was found without a metal supplier code in front of it. Could be a ZL, still looking on this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread