The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know the AT Pro is fairly new but i was wondering if anyone could offer some 'head to head' real world tests against the M6 or MXT....seems like a logical place to start as they all run around the same frequency. The concept of the AT Pro intrigues me but have read mixed reviews on it as far as early production anamolies. I also can't wrap my brain around this machine being very good in a salt water environment as some say it is.
Thanks to all and H.H.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not able to hunt the east coast anymore so I can't test my AT in the salt, but I trust Max of VA beach when he says his is stable and has no trouble in the wet sand.

The M6 and MXT are fine detectors though they operate differently than the AT Pro with lower frequencies. Higher freq. like the AT Pro has are better at finding gold. Add to this the Garrett is waterproof to protect it if you are silly enough to hunt out in the rain. :laughing7:

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites machines run at 14K and the Garret runs at 15K....very close.....should make for an interesting head to head comparison

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The M6 and MXT run at 14.7 kHz. Both very good machines. In fact the best machines Whites offers in my opinion. The ATpro is a full pound lighter, waterproof with notch disc and great audio. If I had all three machines lined up to hunt - the first one I would grab is the ATpro. If I were going nugget hunting then the MXT would get the nod. But to be honest I haven't nugget hunted with either. But I know the prospecting side of the MXT's have proved very well for nuggets.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...White's because they give you more information on the screen with...vid and probability bar plus the icons..tone id... White's detector screen read out to you... telling you more than just an icon with a curser under it and vdi...

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I really wish all the manufacturers would get away from icons. If you have a target ID number what else do you need? This is where the Tek G2 and Fisher's Goldbug has got it right. My opinion only.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vdi is cool and and a ground condition number.. so you can see the detector fallowing it..

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Yes, noting the ground phase live can get you into the nugget bearing areas better. This is where the MXT's, GMT and I believe the Tek G2 and Fisher Goldbug will have an advantage prospecting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have the AT Pro now and i like it i have not had a real good chance to use it for a long try out....... For the weather snow & cold keeps me from much detecting............... But in the Whites i have had the DFX and XLT & MXT and you name it in Whites but to me the best Whites detector is the MXT .........................To me that was the best Whites detector the MXT ......... I now have to wait for the weather to break so i can get out with the AT Pro I hope it will be a good detector....

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Keppy said:
Well i have the AT Pro now and i like it i have not had a real good chance to use it for a long try out....... For the weather snow & cold keeps me from much detecting............... But in the Whites i have had the DFX and XLT & MXT and you name it in Whites but to me the best Whites detector is the MXT .........................To me that was the best Whites detector the MXT ......... I now have to wait for the weather to break so i can get out with the AT Pro I hope it will be a good detector....

The Pro is a keeper..

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
...White's because they give you more information on the screen with...vdi and probability bar plus the icons..tone id... White's detector screen read out to you... telling you more than just an icon with a curser under it and vdi...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you enjoy watching TV you will probably enjoy the MXT. I've sold a lot of them because of ease of use but have the DFX myself amoung others. I hardly look at the screens anyway because when you get a trained ear for what your detectors is telling you looking at a screen to make up your mind to dig or not wastes time. An awful lot of good targets are passed up by low numbers on the VDI. Like Keppy, I am ready to play with my AT Pro in the dirt and water. I bought the waterproof phones for mine incase I fall down again while wading with land phones.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What make s you think that...atpro is going to pinpoint on the dot and be accurrate at dept.. really.. garret doesn't have a lot of good post on there lower end detectors... you cant turn them up.. or they false...dept is never what they say even on a coin size objects ....there flimsy..All bet your going to dig "iron"at dept deeper than a foot "that's if you can even turn the thing up"and your going to think.. " what a bout my iron tune audio roll over" I wasn't so post to dig that... the only good thing the atpro has going for it is it's vdi which is not accurate on deep targets....once you foul the vdi the iron tone audio roller is fouled you dig "iron"...liftloop............................................

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
liftloop said:
What make s you think that...atpro is going to pinpoint on the dot and be accurrate at dept.. really.. garret doesn't have a lot of good post on there lower end detectors... you cant turn them up.. or they false...dept is never what they say even on a coin size objects ....there flimsy..All bet your going to dig "iron"at dept deeper than a foot "that's if you can even turn the thing up"and your going to think.. " what a bout my iron tune audio roll over" I wasn't so post to dig that... the only good thing the atpro has going for it is it's vdi which is not accurate on deep targets....once you foul the vdi the iron tone audio roller is fouled you dig "iron"...liftloop............................................

Have you owned an ATpro? I do and am very happy with it. I can pinpoint great with the DD coil. I find the TID is accurate at depth. The depth meter on any brand isn't accurate due to target size and ground minerals. I find the pro mode audio is the best I've used especially on iron. I have dug very deep coins with it. Plus the fact it's waterproof is another key feature for my type of hunting.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
up here in the U.P. that atpro would be considered a toy ..the boys up here with there 5900 di pro would eat that for supper.. and then they would have the hart to tell you that that thing is junk...

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
liftloop said:
up here in the U.P. that atpro would be considered a toy ..the boys up here with there 5900 di pro would eat that for supper.. and then they would have the hart to tell you that that thing is junk...

I had a 5900 20 years ago. It was a great machine and still is. But the thing is/was very heavy. I would disagree that it would eat the Pro for supper though. Have you ever owned a Garrett ATpro?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure she's a bear..and you can blow your nose at the same time.. but that"analogue"detector can ground balance out in any soil... and I seen with my own eye' the 950 loop pick up targets worth lots of money out of the ground.... .. where other detector walk right over....If a detector doesn't have all metal no motion to me is not a detector.....that 5900 picks up what my box loop finds plus it will tell Ferris from non Ferris targets bet the 5900 will give those p.i detector a run for their money ...and the deepest I went with my Garret "treasure hound" was 4 feet.. that was a pay able target worth hundreds.....found another pay day at 3 and a halve feet with the treasure hound...so i tried the 5900 on it no problem with the fifteen...the 950 loop you had to be on top of the target.. that 15 inch coil told me at the same distant the box loop did...you never no what you will find with a White's 59....00 hunder that is...

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
liftloop said:
Sure she's a bear..and you can blow your nose at the same time.. but that"analogue"detector can ground balance out in any soil... and I seen with my own eye' the 950 loop pick up targets worth lots of money out of the ground.... .. where other detector walk right over....If a detector doesn't have all metal no motion to me is not a detector.....that 5900 picks up what my box loop finds plus it will tell Ferris from non Ferris targets bet the 5900 will give those p.i detector a run for their money ...and the deepest I went with my Garret "treasure hound" was 4 feet.. that was a pay able target worth hundreds.....found another pay day at 3 and a halve feet with the treasure hound...so i tried the 5900 on it no problem with the fifteen...the 950 loop you had to be on top of the target.. that 15 inch coil told me at the same distant the box loop did...you never no what you will find with a White's 59....00 hunder that is...

I will agree with you about the ATpro not having a true all metal mode. It could have had that feature added easily. But I believe Garrett will produce one soon based on the Atpro design. But with 40 notches of iron disc it get's pretty close. It's too bad that Whites didn't move in the direction of lighter weight pro machines. It would be something to see Whites come out with an analog meter machine based on the 5900/6000 series that weighs 3 pounds. They would sell a ton of them. What is nice about the ATpro is that it is powerful, lightweight and waterproof. For me this is the ticket for my type of hunting. To be honest I was sceptical of the hype that Garrett generated before the ATpro came out. But I am very surprised of it's performance now running one.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the AT pro and use to own a MXT. Highly recommend the AT over the AT. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few White's but find them lacking in refinements and light weight for my use. Maybe other guys that don't have experience with many different detectors wouldn't think so since they might be stuck in a rut. White's had to pay for the license to use Minelab tech for use in some of the White's machines. Operating frequencies aren't everything to the circuits. I do like to play with my DFX just for a change of pace however. I find the AT Pro to be a great detector addition to my collection and find it very stable and deep in most grounds I have taken it too so far. I think it would find to much copper ore in northern Michigan for me if I was just coin hunting. I have not taken it in the water wading yet but will as soon as I see open water. I do know that this AT Pro is not the last in the series or the end all to beat all......yet. :thumbsup:

Max of VA beach uses the AT Pro in the wet saltwater sand with much success and speaks highly of it, so I trust his opinions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread