chillimack

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have advice or an opinion? I would like to upgrade from my M6 with stock coil, which has been good to me. I'm trying to decide if I should get a new coil for the M6, or I have been condisering the Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi. The coils I am considering are the 6X10 DD, or the 9" spider. I'm wondering if I would really be that much better off spending the xtra $ on the Anfibio. It's the multi frequency search ability that I am attraced to for the price. I usually detect older parks , ruins, and wilderness areas. I prefer finding silver coins,and interesting relics. I haven't been fortunate to find any gold, although, I would like to search for gold in the wild. This is a decision of spending around $175 or spending $750. My wallet says the coil, but I also desire the Anfibio.

OP
OP
C

chillimack

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The update is that I ordered a 6x10 DD coil.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The M6 is an amazing detector and I will never get rid of mine. My M6 was my first "good" detector, and I ran it exclusively for years. The 6X10 is a fantastic upgrade for it. I have an army of coils for mine, and honestly, the 6X10 offers the best performance.

As far as gold goes, gotta dig the pull tab and foil signals. No other way around it.

To be clear, I have not run the anfibio, so I cannot speak to its performance. You also never said how long you've been detecting. If you are new to the hobby, do not get in a hurry to start making crazy upgrades right off the bat. I think some guys make the mistake of investing a ton of money before they actually LEARN the fundamentals of detecting and end up getting frustrated. The M6 is a highly underrated detector and once you learn its language you will be able to keep up with the best of them. A new coil seems like a perfectly reasonable upgrade, imo.

OP
OP
C

chillimack

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad I've decide to upgrade the M6, rather than shell out the bucks. I've been using my M6 for 8 yrs. I 'm hoping the 6x10 DD will help with all of the low ID targets and iron. I've been hunting an old homesite where I found a nice silver spoon, however there is a ton of trash also. I'm getting the 6x10 on Sunday, and I can't wait to go back to places where I was using the 950 coil. The DD pattern will a new experience, since I've only used the concentric coil.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are deeper DD coils than the 6x9DD for the M6, so if you need more depth than the 6x9DD there's more coils out there for it. HH

OP
OP
C

chillimack

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Wingmaster. I really do have confidence in the M6, it's good to know that there is still room to expand my capabilities without having to get another detector yet. I was thinking the D2 would be my next coil choice for the M6, if I don't invest in another detector at that point.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 6x10 WILL help in trashy areas where there's a bunch of crap mixed together. However, you've said you hope it will help with low-ID targets and iron. It will help separate targets, but as far as depth goes, not so much. Although the M6 is a fantastic machine, it's ID capabilities are limited on deep targets. On mine I've found that anything deeper than 7" or so start to drop in numbers and tone, regardless of what it is. A silver dollar at 10" could potentially sound like foil. I spent a LOT of money on coils for mine trying to chase better tones on deep targets. Even with the 13" DD it hasn't shown huge improvements. Couple inches, maybe. Perhaps many of the low tones you're hearing are deeper targets that could be something better than what the machine is telling you.

If you're looking for better separation in trashy areas, a coil upgrade is absolutely what you want to do. The M6 is lightning fast and it handles machine gun signals like a champ. It is still my heavy trash machine. If you're looking to get more accurate ID on deeper targets, I would consider looking into a machine that is known for better deep target identification.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Personally, and this is "just me" maybe...I would skip ever getting a D2 and get the Detech 10x12 SEF. I own 2 D2 coils and 2 6x10 Eclipse coils dusty as heck from no use. The Detech coils rule IMO. The 13 inch Ultimate? Not so much, separation just can't match the. 10x12 I do own a U13 though.

The Whites 4x6 Shooter coil is keeper. I own 2 M6 units and the V3i so I have collected a lot of accessories

Last edited:
L

l2hunt

loved the D2 did go a little deeper than the 950. also enjoyed the 6 x 10 for the trashier places. performed well with these coils! the m-6 found tons of coins and silver jewelry over eight years and does well at the beach with the beach mode! HH

OP
OP
C

chillimack

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have encountered those unstable signals from deep silver targets, as DiamondDan mentioned. In fact, the original reason I had considered getting a multi frequency detector was in order to help solidify identification with deeper targets . However, I would be happy just having the better discrimination at average depths for now, since I do like using the M6. Thank you everyone for sharing your experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions