MA: March Sunset Finds

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ll highlight a couple of finds from the last two day’s walks at sunset.

Here’s two interesting points which Likely belong in the Jack’s Reef Notched Point Family, but are too large to be arrow points. This one does not have the classic angular corner notches or the flared base that we generally look for.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689451.600711.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689483.132487.jpg
It clearly has a corner notched stem, and notice the pentagonal shape of the blade. This one is quite waterworn, but the local lithic (Braintree Hornfels) was a favored material of the Jack’s Reef People.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689572.010895.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689594.167913.jpg

Here’s a similar point, found one sunset later, within 50 feet of the other find, on a 6 mile stretch of shoreline. The lithic material is not a local material. It’s super glossy dark grey with a green hue.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689985.987277.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690005.419619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689713.936390.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689736.168374.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615689755.975652.jpg
Notice how the material sheds water.
The flute is an impact fracture.

I know you folks like the Small Quartz Points we find in the gravels, so here’s a couple (a triangle and a stemmed point):
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690929.579714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690946.512037.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690730.065620.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690745.631296.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690759.630551.jpg
Notice the drill-like wear near the tip.

and here’s the triangle
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615690781.654388.jpg

Last, a single (and very pretty) and quite wide reduction flake taken off an ocean stone. It’s a second attempt, and provides an attractive example of the Pebble Industry from a less nomadic time period.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615642595.390502.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615642611.847728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615642624.005605.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
MAmucker,
What type of material is the black shiny one. Is that flint. I see that material in its raw form from time to time but never worked.

Regards,
Chris

Good observation. It’s not a native material that I’m aware of. Glossy yes, and it has a very waxy feel to it.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
MAmucker,
What type of material is the black shiny one. Is that flint. I see that material in its raw form from time to time but never worked.

Regards,
Chris

Given your (plural) area, my guess would be Normanskill, although Upper Delaware (River) Black wouldn't be unreasonable either. The best of both can be seriously nice.

FWIW

Edgychris1

Mar 13, 2021
South East New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious about the "raw form." Chunks ? Nodules ? Trade blanks ? Flakes ?
Just a few chunks. Maybe half dozen over past year. At first I thought coal, but not coal. Then thought could this be obsidion. Probubly not...

I didnt think to keep them. They were from a one square in to maybe 3 square inches by one inch. Not big at all. They were in spots I find points. I'd have to say one material I do not come across often st all.

Also, it could he entirely different from the type he has. Wasn't as shiny, but maybe fractured would prove to be that shiny. It did look a bit different, however that looks pretty close. So I dont know.

They has all sharper edges like fractured. No smooth edges but didnt appeared knapped either.

If I stumble upon it again I'll be sure to keep it take some photos.

Last edited:

Edgychris1

Mar 13, 2021
South East New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy has some flint as well. So thought possibly flint...

Upon further inspection, It may be different from what I've been seeing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks antmike915,
Yes, Braintree Hornfels. At least that’s what I think it is. The ocean can have a brutal effect on some porous materials.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many of the New York cherts show up in southern New England. In general, uncommon, all are minority lithics in our assemblages, but the Hudson Valley and other cherts, such as Pa. jasper, will be found in this region. Not often enough, but, under the theory that all collectors come to appreciate their local and regional lithics, I’ve certainly come to appreciate our regional flow banded rhyolite, etc. Still, we can never find too much flint as far as I’m concerned. Always like finding those exotic lithics....

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Given your (plural) area, my guess would be Normanskill, although Upper Delaware (River) Black wouldn't be unreasonable either. The best of both can be seriously nice.

FWIW

Good call.
I think Normanskill Chert (NY) is a strong candidate, as it is noted in ‘A New England Typology of Native American Projectile Points (Jeff Boudreau)’ as a regional Paleoindian lithic. And, it is described as having multiple shades of Green.

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of the New York cherts show up in southern New England. In general, uncommon, all are minority lithics in our assemblages, but the Hudson Valley and other cherts, such as Pa. jasper, will be found in this region. Not often enough, but, under the theory that all collectors come to appreciate their local and regional lithics, I’ve certainly come to appreciate our regional flow banded rhyolite, etc. Still, we can never find too much flint as far as I’m concerned. Always like finding those exotic lithics....

I like the description, ‘...regional flow-banded Rhyolite,’ That fits many of the various undermined lithic materials I see in “the field”.
The more I look at the first Point (Jack’s Reef type), I’m less confident in calling the material, Braintree Hornfels.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the description, ‘...regional flow-banded Rhyolite,’ That fits many of the various undermined lithic materials I see in “the field”.
The more I look at the first Point (Jack’s Reef type), I’m less confident in calling the material, Braintree Hornfels.

If it’s a Jack’s Reef Corner Notch, and I agree with your ID, than it almost surely must be hornfels. They preferred hornfels and jasper to all other lithics. For comparison, these are all hornfels....two JR Corner Notch, and two JR Pentagonal....

690C3588-0150-4FFC-BF72-80604DE2A3E9.jpg

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
If it’s a Jack’s Reef Corner Notch, and I agree with your ID, than it almost surely must be hornfels. They preferred hornfels and jasper to all other lithics. For comparison, these are all hornfels....two JR Corner Notch, and two JR Pentagonal....

View attachment 1910193

Thanks Charlie,
That’s a match.
The material is remarkably consistent. I have a growing appreciation of this lithic, and keep a small, but growing debitage collection for reference. Of the JR types that I have found, only the one made of Normanskill Chert deviates. I’ll see if I can add a picture of these fanned-out (like yours) tonight.
As always,
Thank you!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread