Madam Barcelo's Lost Bags of Gold -- near Taos, NM

NomadNora

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,

Just starting out here. I've been reading about the treasure of Madam Maria Barcelo's 25 buckskin bags of gold, buried somewhere between Ute Park and Cimarron, NM, in April 1839. There seems to be very little information out there about people attempting to find this treasure. Does anyone know of any areas that people have concentrated their searches on? Information I've gleaned is that it's "about 40 miles east of the Taos camp," near three huge two-story granite boulders, and along the Santa Fe Trail, or even possibly along the western edge of Deer Lake. Anyone heard anything further? Was there a place along the Santa Fe trail in this area where bandits liked to attack mule trains?

Many thanks!

Nora

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, twice once for the treasure you are talking about and once looking for Forest Fenn's goodies (I live near Cincinnati Ohio)....starting at the Eagles nest dam outlet and going down stream... its before the boy scout camp grounds. The boulders are on your right and in the stream. You will be going over a fence across the road from them...beautiful place all along there..I posted a whole theory about why Fenn's description fits that area real good. Wishing you the best in locating either one!

OP
OP
N

NomadNora

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much, Curtis! It's interesting, I've gotten a copy of the definitive book on Maria Barcelo: Doña Tules: Santa Fe's Courtesan and Gambler, by Mary J. Straw Cook, and there's no mention of the theft of the 25 buckskin bags of gold or the supposed buried treasure from April 1839, though there is a mention of the money raided on March 7, 1846, at Cow Creek on the Santa Fe Trail by Pawnee Indians.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the problem is two fold. No one knows for sure how many days after leaving Santa that they were robbed. Generally speaking they would have done well making 12 miles per day. The other problem is which trail did they take? There is more than one. I never could figure why they would go north to Taos and get caught near the park in the pass. If it was there, and I have been there, I would think it was found or buried below the highway when it was built.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecominer:

Not sure of the truthfulness myself because of the he amount lot of weight. However southeast of Taos about 5 miles we did locate where 10 mule loads of silver had been dumped in a prospectors hole. Sadly someone had gotten to it t\before us.

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecominer:

Not sure of the truthfulness myself because of the he amount lot of weight. However southeast of Taos about 5 miles we did locate where 10 mule loads of silver had been dumped in a prospectors hole. Sadly someone had gotten to it t\before us.
Actually, 500,000 dollars of gold coins is not a lot of weight. It's approximately 160 lbs per mule in this 12 mule carrying train. That's a normal load for pack mules.

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never could figure why they would go north to Taos and get caught near the park in the pass.
Honestly if Cortez was as renowned as he was... The Taos pueblo indians would've been friendlies to him and he would've used that route to avoid danger. Going around the South East of Santa Fe would've put them in isolated areas of the Trail, where bandits could easily take them. I would much rather take that load through friendly territories than risk being in an isolated and desolate section just a day or two east of Santa Fe. There's a rule of thumb whenever you are worried about being mugged. ALWAYS stay near population when you can. It presents hesitation in the mugger because they are afraid of being ID'd and later hunted down.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, twice once for the treasure you are talking about and once looking for Forest Fenn's goodies (I live near Cincinnati Ohio)....starting at the Eagles nest dam outlet and going down stream... its before the boy scout camp grounds. The boulders are on your right and in the stream. You will be going over a fence across the road from them...beautiful place all along there..I posted a whole theory about why Fenn's description fits that area real good. Wishing you the best in locating either one!

Yea, though I walk throu

Yeah, I went to that Boy Scout camp decades ago. It was an overnight hiking mountain climbing trip. First night sleeping in tents, saw plenty of deer around camp. All the food supplies were wrapped up in canvas and pulled up by ropes to hang from trees. One person took a candy bar stack to eat at night in tent. A bear stuck it's nose under edges of tent that night. End of trail looked more like your granite discription.

T-Rex333

Jul 7, 2022
Hi Folks,

Just starting out here. I've been reading about the treasure of Madam Maria Barcelo's 25 buckskin bags of gold, buried somewhere between Ute Park and Cimarron, NM, in April 1839. There seems to be very little information out there about people attempting to find this treasure. Does anyone know of any areas that people have concentrated their searches on? Information I've gleaned is that it's "about 40 miles east of the Taos camp," near three huge two-story granite boulders, and along the Santa Fe Trail, or even possibly along the western edge of Deer Lake. Anyone heard anything further? Was there a place along the Santa Fe trail in this area where bandits liked to attack mule trains?

Many thanks!

Nora

T-Rex333

Jul 7, 2022
Sadly the Barcelo treasure is probably a hoax. How convenient that it happened before Santa Fe had a newspaper where one could research the whole thing.....

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back to this subject. I was at the small canyon that is close to the boy scout area...got up there about 1/2 mile and started seeing mountain lion tracks, kept feeling like something was watching me. So, if you go near do it with someone or be ready with a good wheapon!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back to this subject. I was at the small canyon that is close to the boy scout area...got up there about 1/2 mile and started seeing mountain lion tracks, kept feeling like something was watching me. So, if you go near do it with someone or be ready with a good wheapon!

Bears... rattlesnakes, we caught a couple of them.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much, Curtis! It's interesting, I've gotten a copy of the definitive book on Maria Barcelo: Doña Tules: Santa Fe's Courtesan and Gambler, by Mary J. Straw Cook, and there's no mention of the theft of the 25 buckskin bags of gold or the supposed buried treasure from April 1839, though there is a mention of the money raided on March 7, 1846, at Cow Creek on the Santa Fe Trail by Pawnee Indians.
AI-
Based on the search results, there is some information about gold mining and deposits in the Cimarron area of New Mexico. Here are a few relevant points:
  1. Baldy Mining District: The Baldy Mining District in the Cimarron Range of Colfax County, New Mexico, has been an active hard-rock gold mining district since around 1868 1. Gold occurrences are found in and near this district.
  2. Placer Gold Deposits: Placer gold deposits can be found in various locations in New Mexico, including the Cimarron Range. The south flank of Black Mountain in the Cimarron Range 2, south of Cimarron, is mentioned as a specific location for placer gold deposits.
  3. History of Gold Rush: New Mexico has a history of gold rushes, with production from placer gold deposits dating back to 1828. While specific information about gold deposits in the Cimarron area is not readily available, it suggests that there is a potential for gold in the region.
Given these pieces of information, it appears that gold deposits may exist in the Cimarron area of New Mexico. However, it is important to note that gold prospecting and mining require proper permits, knowledge, and equipment. If you are interested in prospecting for gold in this area, it would be advisable to consult with local experts, obtain the necessary permits, and follow any regulations or guidelines set by the appropriate authorities.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
More on "Lady Tules" - Madam Barcelos.

Madam 1.JPG

Madam 2.JPG

Madam 3.JPG

Madam.JPG

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread