Make a Killing With a Murder of Crows- How To Cash In On Crows?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading a post on the coin roll hunting page about the amount of loose change lost every year and I came across this and thought it was interesting and pretty funny too. If this has already been posted previously, feel free to let me know and I will delete it.

http://www.businessunusual.net/pets/crowbox/

Crows may be our greatest untapped natural resource. And they’ll work for peanuts. .

One scientist’s controversial idea? Stop thinking of crows a nuisance and give them job training.

Josh Klein, an animal behavior researcher in New York believes crows are much smarter than we give them credit for and highly trainable. In fact, he claims they are one of the smartest animals in the kingdom – ranking above the beloved chimpanzee and dolphin.

Make a Killing With a Murder of Crows
At any given time there is an estimated $250 million of lost, unclaimed loose change laying around city streets. Training crows to locate and pick up the shiny bits of metal could translate into millions.

To cash in on crows Klein created a vending machine concept he calls the Crow Box where crows deposit loose change in exchange for a peanut, dispensed from the machine.

The CrowBox vending concept works but Klein hasn’t published how much money he has pocketed from his feathered labour force.

Cold, hard cash for peanuts? Let’s hope crows are not smart to enough to form labour unions!

Man, PETA is going to be pissed!

Show Me The Money
Klein gives away the design for CrowBox so how does he make money (Aside from the pimping crows?) He likely makes money on the back-end: consulting, speaking engagements etc…

When you have a cause ie. Re-educating the world that Crows are mans best friend, you really shouldn’t charge for the information if you want your message to spread. Instead, your cause, properly positioned and articulated, gives you exposure and business opportunities that weren’t available to you before.

Fun Idea: Maybe Klein can run a Crow Employment Agency – helping find highly skilled crows jobs?

I wonder if you can train crows to sort the change and package them into rolls?

F

Felinepeachy

If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be wise enough to be crows~ Henry Ward Beecher

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't take much to train the crows. Years back a guy I worked with found a baby crow. He raised it, and when it got older he'd leave the house for work, a few minutes after he got to work the crow would show up on his office window. The crow would hang around all day, then take off and follow him home, again showing up a few minutes later. This went on for a few years. The guy re-shingled his roof and found enough coins, pieces of jewelery, foil, etc to fill two and a half large cigar boxes. When he showed me all the stuff, he said he noticed the crow pecking on the roof. He figured he was just getting bugs or splinters off the wood shingles. Didn't even think the crow was stashing the goods.

Heard also, it's a natural thing for them to look for shiny stuff & stash it.

Now if we can get em to recover coins without scratching em, we'd be set!

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
crows are very wise..i think they past what they learned to others?? you could never train it like a caged bird ...ravens are the ones that seem to have identities..

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one once for years, they train very well until the Gestapo DNR (Department of natural resources) came and said you cannot have a crow as a pet (it would nest in a large cage I built) at night, they took the crow and told me there could be up to a 10 thousand dollar fine for harboring him. What a joke these guys are. Also thought I read a story about a crow that stole thousands of dollars in Quarters from a car wash change machine, ended up on the roof of the building. (could have been a black bird)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were probably jealous you had a better friend than they did. I can't understand these groups?!?! If the animal is happy hanging out with people & isn't in any danger why bother?!? He was probably better behaved than the DNR people! ::) :D :laughing9:

One other story from years gone by..... One of the guys we hung out with had an older brother that had a raven that would talk fairly clearly. Kept him in a huge aviary in the back yard. We used to meet up behind his house in the alley to smoke our cigarettes before school. One morning a cop went by the alley & thought we looked suspicious as we tried to ditch our cigs and split down the alley. As he made it to the guys fence, the cotton picken raven starts screamin help help sounding like a girl. Needless to say we were all proned out in the alley at gun point until half the PD shows up & searches all the back yards. To their great embarrasment they had to let us go (3 hours late for school) when finally one of the cops got close to the raven & he screamed help. Yup, could've killed that bird. ::) Then the fun really began trying to explain why we were late to the principal.............

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoops I guess that I misread the title as "make a killing murdering crows". They are intelligent birds, but also one of the most hated. Every spring they work my row of blue spruce, and carry away all the young baby robins, cardinals, finches, and even baby rabbits. I shoot every crow that I can. Crows also carry the H5N1 avian flu.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take the crows buffet style pickings personally...everything has to eat to survive. However, back to their intelligence level...I recall reading some years ago that a biologist spent some years living amongst a large population of crows in the wild and documented his discovery that they have an extensive crow language. I do not remember all the details but it was quite apparent that they are very intelligent, social and demonstrate higher levels of learning ability.

I can imagine an army of crows gathering up some of the $230million of clad coins lost every year...dropping it into one of my several crow vending machine boxes to get their daily doses of peanuts...very interesting dream that is... :laughing7: :hello2: :laughing7:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention, stay clear of any dead crow, also bluejays. Where I live, sick and dead crow are supposed to be reported to authorities to test for the bird flu.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well made point about crows getting a bad rap for their eating habits. How about coyotes, snakes, opossums, etc etc that eat others young, scrounge for tasty tid bits and gobble up other goodies?

We used to live where there were numerous opossums in the neighborhood. Everyone thought they were ugly filthy animals until the neighbor raised one as a pet. I didn't mind having them around, they'd eat the flowers off the weeds, clean up the scraps the dogs left & were kind enough to clean up the poo on their rounds. Found out they were a lot cleaner than they appeared & loved grapes!

Wonder if any of the govt. geniuses ( ::)) have looked at training crows and ravens for observation or other combat duties? They'd be better than the fire bat program. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread