Make a real waterproof CTX 3030 - scuba diving experience!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
You've bought a fantastic Waterproof CTX 3030 for beach and Shallow hunting, but after a few hunts you have experienced battery leaking or USB leaks....

I've tried to escape from sending my CTX 3030 to Minelab repair center and love to use my CTX with a bit of water around :laughing7:

With this mod, Don't forget to turn "Seawater ON"....

266373Ctx3030underwaterprogram.jpg

697698ctx3030waterproof2.jpg

My bulletproof CTX3030 ready for scuba diving: no battery leak, hassle free solution

Rainy weather in feb with CTX 3030 on the Med sea
698621CTXreadydive1.jpg

CTX3030 is ready to dive along with the scuba tanks, waiting on the boat
717227CTXreadydive2.jpg

CTX_underwater3_1280.jpg

CTX_underwater2_1280.jpg

487669CTX3.jpg

135602CTX5.jpg

166400CTX.jpg

734233CTX2.jpg

492134CTX4.jpg

438736ctx3030scuba1.jpg

434335ctx3030scuba2.jpg

257238frogmasterctx3030diver2.jpg

623961frogmasterctx2.jpg

Don't come back to your old Excalibur to hunt your favorit spots and most important,
STOP using your CTX for your home needs beacuse you're now scared of shallow / underwater hunting

IMG_0597-2.jpg

For those who care about having a bulletproof waterproof CTX and forget about battery leak and USB cap:

Last scuba dive depth gauge track with CTX 3030: -12m (-40ft.)
ctx-usb-cap4.jpg

1/ Seal the USB Cap: + o'ring

Remove the cap protection to gain a few extra screw turns before the "removable" sealing process
ONLY IF YOUR THREAD IS DEAD, otherwise leave it, you will place an additional o'ring
ctx-usb-cap1.jpg
ctx-usb-cap2.jpg

approx 20x2.5mm - 19,5x2.5mm is better
IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG
1390946349.jpg
Seal with Loctite 5331, it's removable so you can use your USB port again, just have to clean and re-seal :icon_thumright:
ctx-usb-cap3.jpg
1390946588.jpg

2/ Get rid of the stock red gasket, throw it to the garbage and replace it by a "real o'ring"
IMG_0754.JPG

NBR70, 79<80mm inner size, 2,5mm gauge
IMG_0790.JPG

Better to use 79x2.5 or 79x2.65 ring then the 80*2.65 which is ok for shallow, but a little to wide for me.

USB cap: 20X2.90 WORKS FINE, but you can have 19.5x2.65 or 19.5x2.65 will be better, especially id you don't use the in cap ring anymore

IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG

Put some thin sillicon grease (like the one use for Excalibur Gaskets). As the 2,5mm gasket is much harder, it makes the battery pack lock harder as well, so no need to use security belt anymore.
No need to retreive the gasket anymore, just clean it in place with a air compressor if you have one when you need to charge the batteries and put some new sillicon grease and that's it!
Re-discover and enjoy your CTX 3030 for water gaming :thumbsup:

Need to go deeper? Minelab Excalibur can be the solution
Watch in 4K or HD if you can!!!

https://youtu.be/pOQPU41pTlI

I've uses a copyright music, so can't see from Germany and from certain devices, computer =OK

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
i have to make a youtube video on it, how to properly service the CTX and how to make it hassle free.

Trust me it works fine, just keep in mind that I have bought a certain amount of O rings 2 years ago and I haven't note the exact size because I've tested them in the shop on my detecor! The inner size was correctly reported by users on forum based on my post.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow you are the French Mod king!! Nice work on that 3030, some Great ideas put to the test!! And Glad to see you over here on T Net, I hardly get to the other side to often.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you kidding?? Everything else on the CTX is waterproof to a greater depth except these two things. Seems like Minelab would have published this information or actually spent a few extra cents and made the detector more waterproof if it is this simple. I have had my CTX leak twice so far, what a pain. Now I basically don't take it deeper than waist deep and am careful where I direct the hose when I am rinsing it off with fresh water. Thanks for the info. I will look into making the mods. I appreciate your research. Blessings and Happy Hunting. Beach Papa

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While this may be a great idea I would not do this to a CTX that is under factory warranty.

Looks like a great setup! I like it!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frogmaster please do not attack members or sponsors..

Minelab will not honor warranty if detector is modified. If all signs of mod are removed before detector is sent in then Minelab will honor warranty ...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Frogmaster please do not attack members or sponsors..

Minelab will not honor warranty if detector is modified. If all signs of mod are removed before detector is sent in then Minelab will honor warranty ...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

:notworthy:

"I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused to this member, or sponsor, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frogmaster, do you have a thread or video that outlines what you have done with your Excal? I would love to see what you have done with yours.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Higgy,

I'm actually bulding a new one from an old new basis.

- Remote Pinponter with latching switch (lighted) on the handle of the Anderson shaft
- Replacement of all endcaps by OBN's custom made ones to put some connectors used for :
* Plug for Coil exchange (4 wires) - 3 coils, the Sov 8", the stock 10" and the Sov 15" WOT
* Plug for Remote PP conectors (4 wires)
* Plug for headphones and especially BONES EARPHONES, we are finding "the good solution" with OBN
* Plug for battery replacement with 4S lipo + balanced plug (8 connectors) - 2250-2400mAh batts

I'll probably put and extra ON/OFF LED on the excalibur, and maybe some leds for the battery gauge as you never know the remaining power.

I will post some photo/videos of this MOD, but you can already have a look to OBN videos, you will find almost 99% of every possible mods on Excalibur. OBN is simply "Mr. Excalibur" worldwide. :notworthy:

My Excalibur Mod is just a "full MOD" version of what I have always wanted or imagine as an Escalibur user. Keep in mind that only quality matter, pricing is not an issue. The connectors that I use cost as much as the detector by it self. OBN has descent packages solutions I'm sure at an afordable price that will statisfy 99% of Excals users for sure.

Last edited:

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
I really liked your post on water proofing The ctx.I ordered o- rings on line got them today 2mm-79mm and they fit good with nice compression on latch. The part about the two o-rings on the sub port I did not understand what to do . Can you send me a note [email protected] thanks Mike

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I really liked your post on water proofing The ctx.I ordered o- rings on line got them today 2mm-79mm and they fit good with nice compression on latch. The part about the two o-rings on the sub port I did not understand what to do . Can you send me a note [email protected] thanks Mike

You can even go with 2.65mm, you will have a better compression and won't hurt the lockers.

Concerning the USB ring, I had some reports that they is major flat spot on the thread of certain CTX. Mine have one but seems far more smaller and could be "glued" with the sealent

IMGP2229.JPG

I've ordered some o ring to make some try, but I think in this case it won't be a good idea to retrieve the stock USB cap gasket if you can (If your thread is still in good condition). An extra O-ring of 20mm - 21mm with a diamter of less then 3mm and more then 2.65 should solve the problem.

Let me check and I'll post a possible soltion as soon as I can.

Last edited:

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
This has been a great post & thread keep up the good work very helpful information. Thanks Mike

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting modification, I enjoy creative solutions to difficult engineering problems.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok guys,

I've received my O'rings and here's the last test I did:

I put back the O'ring in the USB CAP for those how has still a good thread on both the CTX and the CAP:

IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0790.JPG

Definitly the good size for the battery cas is 79x2.5 or 79x2.65.

An O'ing of 80x2.65 is ok but a bit to wide.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered some o-rings in size 80mm x 2.5mm. Will that work?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
YES, they will be ok for shallow hunting. If you want to have a better ring size, I can encourage you to take 79x2.5 or 79x2.65.

In any case, 80x2.5 wil be "much much much much x1000" better then the stock ones!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions