Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018
Missouri
Detector(s) used
All Brands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should expand the amount of in ground targets you tested, I would love to see a more complete list of common items found even including trash targets like can slaw and such, maybe even a description of the tone on the trashy targets i.e. (x) target has a clear tone in the middle of the target and scratchy sound as you cross over its edge.. just a thought. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should expand the amount of in ground targets you tested, I would love to see a more complete list of common items found even including trash targets like can slaw and such, maybe even a description of the tone on the trashy targets i.e. (x) target has a clear tone in the middle of the target and scratchy sound as you cross over its edge.. just a thought. Thanks for sharing!
Indeed, ... will keep adding to it. The numbers posted were solid hits, a good way to eliminate a suspected trash item is to slowly 'lift-up' while short swinging, if its a somewhat solid target (coin) the number will remain steady over the target center. More to follow.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took out in the yard today - some potentially good signals but unfortunately the ground was too frozen to dig. But I did have one thawed spot where the solid 26 did turn out to be a Jefferson nickel, at least six inches down.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took out in the yard today - some potentially good signals but unfortunately the ground was too frozen to dig. But I did have one thawed spot where the solid 26 did turn out to be a Jefferson nickel, at least six inches down.
Whooo-hooooo!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following VDI numbers have been witnessed while operating the Legend in the canned 'boot-up' mode, ... no adjustments, full (30) sensitivity, 1v05; stock coil

52 Silver quarter
50 Clad quarter
46 Silver/clad dime
37 Silver war nickel
26 Jefferson nickel
41 Zinc Penny

28 to 32 Pull tabs
Good intel right there. There’s a Nokta Legend facebook page. One of the posters dug a half dozen rings, and said they all rang up between 37 and 44. I’m headed out to see.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good intel right there. There’s a Nokta Legend facebook page. One of the posters dug a half dozen rings, and said they all rang up between 37 and 44. I’m headed out to see.
Between 37 and 44 puts us right in the pocket for Zinc Pennies, Silver War Nickels and Dimes!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between 37 and 44 puts us right in the pocket for Zinc Pennies, Silver War Nickels and Dimes!
Yes it does. I’ve spent years digging pull tabs, to find gold rings, and found my share. Interestingly, my largest gold ring rang up as a zinc penny. I was tired, and almost didn’t dig it. 24K plated, stainless steel, lion’s head.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The following VDI numbers have been witnessed while operating the Legend in the canned 'boot-up' mode, ... no adjustments, full (30) sensitivity, 1v05; stock coil

52 Silver quarter
50 Clad quarter
46 Silver/clad dime
37 Silver war nickel
26 Jefferson nickel
41 Zinc Penny

28 to 32 Pull tabs
Great Post! The Nokta Makro Legend impresses me more each time I use it. Starting to have a thing for it... lol

MFF18B

Nov 24, 2018
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro’s: Bandido II µMax, Mojave
Nokta Makro: Legend
XP: Deus 2
Minelab: Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

52 Silver quarter
50 Clad quarter
46 Silver/clad dime
37 Silver war nickel
26 Jefferson nickel
41 Zinc Penny

28 to 32 Pull tabs
This matches my limited experience so far.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dug a set of WW2 dog tags in my back yard. Not sure the metal but it rang up as a 26 and had to have been eight inches down. I would rather that 26 be a gold ring, but pretty happy with the dog tags too. Pic in todays finds.

OP
OP
Richard Guy

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just dug a set of WW2 dog tags in my back yard. Not sure the metal but it rang up as a 26 and had to have been eight inches down. I would rather that 26 be a gold ring, but pretty happy with the dog tags too. Pic in todays finds.
They consist of Nickle/Copper alloy

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm finding square tabs at 23-29.
I also found that the thick foil from around the screw top alcohol bottles shows low 20's but makes a "bloop" sound.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a few hours at a playground yesterday just so that I could start hearing coin tones. I was using six tone but honestly could only really hear three. Pennies are obnoxiously loud and sound too high to me. I will play with adjustments at some point. Dimes rang up 46-50 but sounded like pennies. Clad quarters had a beautiful high tone.

Headphones were amazingly comfortable, but I did discover one issue for those of us whose hearing isnt the best. Really hard to hear my pinpointer - an older black Garrett. I have to remember to take my headphones off when I dig or else get a louder pinpointer with a louder volume or stronger vibration.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The new headphones are a lot nicer. The Nokta rep said that another pinpointer is in the works.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking the legend also, but do not go by the VDI number alone, I dug down 12 inches on a #50 and found an aluminum can. Another target that was in the 50's I gave up on, needed a backhoe in this
Arizona ground.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a few hours at a playground yesterday just so that I could start hearing coin tones. I was using six tone but honestly could only really hear three. Pennies are obnoxiously loud and sound too high to me. I will play with adjustments at some point. Dimes rang up 46-50 but sounded like pennies. Clad quarters had a beautiful high tone.

Headphones were amazingly comfortable, but I did discover one issue for those of us whose hearing isnt the best. Really hard to hear my pinpointer - an older black Garrett. I have to remember to take my headphones off when I dig or else get a louder pinpointer with a louder volume or stronger vibration.
I’m glad you were able to get out. I agree about the tones. Too many objects ring up in the forties, a most obnoxious zone. I’m used to being able to call a target, before I dig. I’ll have to figure out tone settings. The earphones are outstanding. I have to put my carrot on high sensitivity to hear it. So far I’m enjoying the legend, and it’s ability to find small, deep, targets. Good luck!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking the legend also, but do not go by the VDI number alone, I dug down 12 inches on a #50 and found an aluminum can. Another target that was in the 50's I gave up on, needed a backhoe in this
Arizona ground.
I’m still on v1.05, but the Legend has tremendous depth. This afternoon, I dug a mashed beer can at 12”, too. I’ve always carried a hand tool, but realize a spade is in the near future.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m still on v1.05, but the Legend has tremendous depth. This afternoon, I dug a mashed beer can at 12”, too. I’ve always carried a hand tool, but realize a spade is in the near future.
Yes, my hand digger isn’t going to be enough. I have had a Xterra for many years and usually a four or five inch plug is the most I ever needed. But I need to change that habit for the Legend and just picked up a 31 inch Lesche digger to cut a deeper plug and cut down on the bending with the added bonus of giving myself something to lean on getting up and down

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

52 Silver quarter
50 Clad quarter
46 Silver/clad dime
37 Silver war nickel
26 Jefferson nickel
42 Wheat Pennie
40 Zinc Penny

28 to 32 Pull tabs
Richard, gotta hand it to you. I fell in love the with Simplex SP-24 coil and so for the Legend I held out for the Pro Pack with the 6" coil. I used that smaller coil on a dozen hunts and did pretty well. I thought I should get a feel for the larger coil, so I threw the stock coil on and wow. Silver on 3 of my last 4 outings and I haven't changed anything else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread