Cool story.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.41.52 AM.png

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite some find. As far as I know, the ownership of the gold is still in limbo. It was almost certainly stolen from Kuwait. Several thousand stolen bars of gold have been returned to Kuwait since the end of the Gulf War, having been traced back to their rightful owners from their marks and serial numbers.

After the Russians invaded Ukraine, Nick Mead largely switched his business from using restored tanks and such for event experiences to refurbishment for battlefield use. He has supplied over 100 armoured vehicles to Ukraine, enhancing the armour for protection against landmines.

Although he was doing this through UK government-approved channels who were facilitating the shipments, his bank (Barclays) shut down his account without explanation, leaving him unable to operate any kind of business. It looks like they took the view that they didn't want to be associated with support for Ukraine for fear of reprisals. At the last report, he had been unable to find a bank willing to have him as a customer.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a tank when I was a kid, looked alot like a 51 Buick!
Tony we had a few ALSO 1! 56 and 57 Olds My grand father was so proud of his 51 chevy

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This story is more than six years old.
This same story comes around every year in April.
If you do the math the original gold bars found were worth less than a million dollars ($908,000), not the 2.4 million in the article.
It's still a good story but I think the press should stop beating on it, that horse died years ago.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story is more than six years old.
This same story comes around every year in April.
If you do the math the original gold bars found were worth less than a million dollars ($908,000), not the 2.4 million in the article.
It's still a good story but I think the press should stop beating on it, that horse died years ago.

Just to set the record straight, when this story first broke, the initial reports were of five gold bars. Some UK press articles acknowledged the weight of the bars to be variable and some didn’t. Often the weight was reported as “up to…” or “around…” with some sources using lbs and some using kg. Values were reported based on prevailing gold prices and when the story has been regurgitated the values are sometimes updated for current gold prices and sometimes not. Some sources also confused lbs Troy with lbs Avoirdupois when doing their calculations. Syndication of the story to American newspapers converted the sterling values quoted in the UK press to US dollars and later republication sometimes took account of the dramatic fall in the value of sterling versus the dollar and sometimes not. Confusion reigned.

What Nick Mead actually found were five bars, each measuring approximately eight by four by three inches with a total combined weight of about 72lbs Avoirdupois (32.7Kg). At today’s spot price for gold, that’s a little over $2million and would probably have been around $1.4million in 2017.

It's not a completely dead story since, as far as I know, the ownership of the gold is still in limbo. Nick was given a receipt when the UK authorities took it away but told that it represents stolen property which could take years to trace back to its rightful owner.

Last edited:

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found a tank and tried to set me up with it.

I looked at her and turned to him and said, "Sir, I am not and never have been, that drunk".

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need one these days if you live in San Francisco, Portland, Chicago…..etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread