man trapped in west Arizona mine shaft since Monday

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't fix stupid. :skullflag:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The man was extracted from the mine shaft and airlifted to hospital.

From the video I saw, it was clear that the open shaft was fenced, as is required. My guess is that he was trying to see the bottom and slipped. As Terry wrote earlier, “Can’t fix stupid”.

Time for more coffee.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he is just lucky someone came along..That wouldnt be a fun way to go.. dying of thirst of hypothermia at the bottom of a hole in the desert..

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least he had food, 3 rattlesnakes, damm... dropped 100 feet, broken legs, then snakes, :sadsmiley:
guess he'll have to change his name to "Lucky"

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"killed three rattlesnakes"...…..if it were me I would have set an unbeatable vertical leap record and been out of there! Of course he had two broken legs. Must have been one miserable soul.:angel8:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Terry said Life is tough it’s tougher when your stupid.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder how many metal detectorists have fallen into old wells, while searching abandoned homesites. Something to be cautious of.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't fix stupid. :skullflag:

Easy making comments about a 65 year old veteran from your armchair.
There are many miners that work or explore alone. Been that way forever.
His friend said “we have an agreement when it comes to these mine shafts”. His friend apparently knew exactly where to go looking.

The ground under him likely collapsed into the shaft.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a lesson for all of us that don't understand the danger. I'm happy he was saved and is alive and I'll wager he doesn't repeat the mistake.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many metal detectorists have fallen into old wells, while searching abandoned homesites. Something to be cautious of.

I almost did, detecting at night. Some kind person some time in the past 100 years had jammed a big rock in it saving my butt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy making comments about a 65 year old veteran from your armchair.
There are many miners that work or explore alone. Been that way forever.
His friend said “we have an agreement when it comes to these mine shafts”. His friend apparently knew exactly where to go looking.

The ground under him likely collapsed into the shaft.

Not trying to offend with my statement. Working "alone" is fine when even the most minor safety equipment and protocol's are not called for (working in an office; selling used cars) however, checking out mine shafts in the Arizona desert by yourself, falls into the "moron" category in my never humble opinion. My armchair has a whole lot of experience in the Arizona desert. Pulled another Cholla spine out of it last week. :occasion14:

Attachments

• Joy Walk 046.jpg
    Joy Walk 046.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 79

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To compound it, he told his buddy he'd be back Tuesday if he wasn't come and check on him. His buddy said he didn't make it out there Tuesday!?!? I hope when he's healed up he looks for a more dependable partner!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to offend with my statement. Working "alone" is fine when even the most minor safety equipment and protocol's are not called for (working in an office; selling used cars) however, checking out mine shafts in the Arizona desert by yourself, falls into the "moron" category in my never humble opinion. My armchair has a whole lot of experience in the Arizona desert. Pulled another Cholla spine out of it last week. :occasion14:

Call me moron then. I’ve spent my entire adult life exploring alone. Most of the time it’s at least an hour from cell service. Started as a kid, where my parents gave me a pretty long roll of rope.

Falling trees for firewood, wading rivers, exploring mine audits, hiking into remote mountain lakes...anywhere my ambition takes me. Had a few close calls...been stuck in the snow and mud more than a few times. Tripped over rattlesnakes, stumbled into dope grows, ect. Had to spend a night on a 7000’ mountain top once in the winter.
Spent a few days in the desert exploring near Randsburg.

Most of the time I don’t even know where I’ll end up.
Sometimes it’s up on a ridge in the middle of nowhere at midnight, detecting with a headlamp. Get home when I feel like I’m done.

I pack light but try to take enough to survive.

Yup..proud to be a surviving “moron”.
Pretty sure many old time miners and packers lived their entire lives this way, however short it was.

This doesn’t look bad, but I was stepping on a large log and there was slime below the bark and I plummeted down a steep hill and face planted in a pile of rocks. Seriously thought I might have been messed up badly when I was laying on the ground. This was a very remote place.
523A235C-4423-40F2-9BC9-101D882AD2A1.jpeg
Looking back, would I now wish I had waited for someone to explore with me?? Not for a second and truthfully I don’t think I could find anyone that would be up to it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread