man trapped in west Arizona mine shaft since Monday

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah well my wife was staring at me when the news started to report his rescue. I started to laugh and try to explain there are rules to follow and he broke one of mine. I don't want to die in a nursing home bed of old age damn it. Hope he recovers enough to keep chasing his dream. Yes he is one lucky *******.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana Jones with broken bones

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still have to have someone fretting at home to trigger a search party. This sounded like a single man. At least that was my assumption.
Or is this satellite based 911?

Yes satellite-based 911 registered with NOAA.

Not sure though if the satellites are in the same place in the sky or if they appear to move from the ground.

If just one can pass over a shaft or very steep canyon the signal should reach.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have done my share of big wall climbing.

When rappelling it’s best to use a no-moving-parts rappel-device and then jumars with a back-up prussic sling when climbing.

Agreed on the mining partner. That’s not a very good partner if they had a deal.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me moron then. I’ve spent my entire adult life exploring alone. Most of the time it’s at least an hour from cell service. Started as a kid, where my parents gave me a pretty long roll of rope.

Falling trees for firewood, wading rivers, exploring mine audits, hiking into remote mountain lakes...anywhere my ambition takes me. Had a few close calls...been stuck in the snow and mud more than a few times. Tripped over rattlesnakes, stumbled into dope grows, ect. Had to spend a night on a 7000’ mountain top once in the winter.
Spent a few days in the desert exploring near Randsburg.

Most of the time I don’t even know where I’ll end up.
Sometimes it’s up on a ridge in the middle of nowhere at midnight, detecting with a headlamp. Get home when I feel like I’m done.

I pack light but try to take enough to survive.

Yup..proud to be a surviving “moron”.
Pretty sure many old time miners and packers lived their entire lives this way, however short it was.

This doesn’t look bad, but I was stepping on a large log and there was slime below the bark and I plummeted down a steep hill and face planted in a pile of rocks. Seriously thought I might have been messed up badly when I was laying on the ground. This was a very remote place.
View attachment 1643557
Looking back, would I now wish I had waited for someone to explore with me?? Not for a second and truthfully I don’t think I could find anyone that would be up to it.
Sounds like you and I would get along great. I often find myself exploring and detecting alone in the middle of nowhere.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What "I" am saying is, first rule of wilderness hiking-exploring-camping, have a reliable partner and or communication device on you or with you while in the outback. You don't go looking for a firefight without a gun. Yes, it was an Accident, but so was the Titanic. Because he has been doing this for so many years, he became over confident and it cost him his future.

I get that a couple of you really dislike me, but this old coot did this to himself, and put other people in danger doing so. I bet I would like this guy, but I would rag on him for the rest of his life, in a "good natured" way of course.:occasion14:
I agree with you Terry. Had to giggle on your reliable partner communications remark. Remember back when we'd go out & look at a sketchy track look back at our buggy built from junk & coat hanger wire and tell ourselves "Naw not gonna try it if I break something it's a heck of a long walk back out." Now days Heck YES! I've got a GPS, two radios, and a cell phone I'll just call for help. Best piece of equipment to have is the device between your shoulders & know how to use it.

A question I had, what ever happened to dropping a second line for just this situation? Something happens you just prussic up the other rope or assenders (worth their weight in gold). We've ALL got experience but common sense ain't so common anymore.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay out, stay alive.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with you Terry. Had to giggle on your reliable partner communications remark. Remember back when we'd go out & look at a sketchy track look back at our buggy built from junk & coat hanger wire and tell ourselves "Naw not gonna try it if I break something it's a heck of a long walk back out." Now days Heck YES! I've got a GPS, two radios, and a cell phone I'll just call for help. Best piece of equipment to have is the device between your shoulders & know how to use it.

A question I had, what ever happened to dropping a second line for just this situation? Something happens you just prussic up the other rope or assenders (worth their weight in gold). We've ALL got experience but common sense ain't so common anymore.

We know he broke both legs on the fall. Not sure if he had any additional sprains or breaks. He could've been too hurt to get back out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread