Manticore Issues

idaho7755

Greenie
Jun 26, 2022
I just got my Manticore yesterday. Charged it all up and experimented with some bone conduction low latency wireless headphones that I was able to connect to a little BT 5.3 transmitter I plugged into the wired output of the Manticore. It seemed to work pretty well but I couldn't tell if the latency was sufficiently short to be workable or not. I'll have to experiment with that some more. My biggest gripe is that the wireless low latency BC headphones I found only have a 4 hour run time before they need a re-charge and the transmitter is probably about the same. Neither have any way to tell how close to the end the charge has gotten although I can recharge them fairly quickly with a portable 26,000 MWH power bank I have in the field. But including the detector and power bank I now have 4 devices I need to charge up regularly. I suppose I need to find a 4+ charge port plug-in device to connect them all to or just use the ML-105 headphones while it is cool outside. I also have a detector low latency transmitter/receiver combo that I could plug some open-ear headphones into but that will still leave me with about 4 devices to charge up to use them.

Since I only tested the detector and the audio arrangement in my yard, I ran into unbelievably strong EMI interference. I've used other detectors in my yard and I know there is EMI but it seemed especially strong with the Manticore. I did ground balance several times, tried auto ground balance on and off, and regularly did the long-noise cancel. Still I couldn't run with Sens. over about 18 without TIDs jumping all over the place constantly.

I know there are utility power lines, pool light power lines, cable lines and sprinkler valve power lines running all over under my yard. I guess I just can't get away from them. Tomorrow I'll go to a park and see if I can get the Mani to run quieter.

Ah, the life of 1st world problems. LOL
As fas as the EMI, are you anywhere near an electric fence for animals? That drove me crazy until I realized it was causing my issues-

OP
OP
P

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
As fas as the EMI, are you anywhere near an electric fence for animals? That drove me crazy until I realized it was causing my issues-
Nope, no dog fence. I think just lots of buried power and cable lines. I'm going to try it in a park this afternoon.

I did use the Manticore in my front yard and it handled the EMI superbly. I've gone over the front with many detectors but did find some aluminum slaw and on plumber's copper fitting. I think I found those because of the separation capabilities of the Manticore. There was iron close to all three targets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you try doing a factory reset to see if it helps?
My Manticore doesn't like my Fisher pinpointed when I use it & becomes very chatty when I use it. But has no problem when I use my Deus MI-6 pin pointer.
I did a factory reset but that was before I ever went outside. I've got a Fisher pinpointer, too. A noise cancel while it is on helped.

One thing I want to mention to new Manticore users - Even though it is very hard to tell, there is a bluish factory display protector on the screen that needs to be peeled off before putting one of the included screen protectors on. I failed to realize this nearly invisible film was on the screen and put one of the included screen protectors right over it. I sort of figured out something wasn't right when my screen outside looked bluish and sometimes was hard to see. So, don't forget to carefully peel off that factory screen film.

Last edited:

idaho7755

Greenie
Jun 26, 2022
Nope, no dog fence. I think just lots of buried power and cable lines. I'm going to try it in a park this afternoon.

I did use the Manticore in my front yard and it handled the EMI superbly. I've gone over the front with many detectors but did find some aluminum slaw and on plumber's copper fitting. I think I found those because of the separation capabilities of the Manticore. There was iron close to all three targets.
Okay- I’m surrounded by farms, my issue actually turned out to be an electric cow fence that was only turned on when the cows were in the pasture behind my house. Took me awhile to figure that one out -

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I did a factory reset but that was before I ever went outside. I've got a Fisher pinpointer, too. A noise cancel while it is on helped.

One thing I want to mention to new Manticore users - Even though it is very hard to tell, there is a bluish factory display protector on the screen that needs to be peeled off before putting one of the included screen protectors on. I failed to realize this nearly invisible film was on the screen and put one of the included screen protectors right over it. I sort of figured out something wasn't right when my screen outside looked bluish and sometimes was hard to see. So, don't forget to carefully peel off that factory screen film.
Thanks! I woulda missed seeing that. The news also lets me wait to put on a screen protector.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else that can be tried in an area with high EMI & getting lots of chatter. Besides doing a long noise cancel & lowering sensitivity is try going to Audio Theme. Once in Audio Theme you have 4 settings : Normal, Enhanced , Depth & Prospecting. Try running in Enhanced. Some chatter will still be their but it will be less pronounced running in Enhanced.

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone figure out how to turn down the volume for when pinpointing

OP
OP
P

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Hoagie. I'll give that a try next time get in a high EMI area. I'm also thinking I should turn off my phone, too, when I'm hunting.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone figure out how to turn down the volume for when pinpointing
The volume control for the Manticore does control the volume when in pinpoint mode. So if you turn the volume on the Manticore down it will also lower the volume on the pinpoint. But from what I can tell there is no separate volume control for the pinpoint mode only.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes but. Theres quite a big difference in volume levels. After I pinpoint you can’t hear the targets for a few cause your ears. Are reeling

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not talking about the "sparkiness" of the machine? I don't have much emi but this thing makes a ton of noise. It's a shock coming from a CTX.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're not talking about the "sparkiness" of the machine? I don't have much emi but this thing makes a ton of noise. It's a shock coming from a CTX.
If a machine is "making noise," I'd first start by thinking "EMI" -- whether I think there's EMI present, or not.

I am sure you know the following, but for the benefit of those who don't...

If you stand still, hold your coil stationary, and you are hearing chatter, it is almost surely EMI (unless you have a short in your coil cable, or a loose connection of your coil cable to your control box, or something like that).

Meanwhile, if your machine is quiet/stable when holding the coil still, but you get chatter when sweeping the ground, and you don't believe it is actual metal in the ground, your ground balance is likely off.

Finally, if your machine is quiet/stable when holding your coil stationary, but there is iron in the ground, and the machine is "chattering" due to iron falses, the propensity for falsing can be lowered via LIMITS SETTINGS (increase the amount of screen that is "grayed out"), sensitivity settings (adjust lower), proper ground balance, and target recovery speed (adjust higher).

The machine SHOULD be stable (aside from being swept over metal in the ground), and can be MADE stable with proper noise cancel, ground balance, and then sensitivity adjustment down to the level where whatever remaining EMI (that could not be "noise-cancelled") is made to be barely audible by your sensitivity setting...

Steve

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread