Mar-Del Canning Company Token

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this token in my mother's yard in Sudlersville, Maryland.

An aluminum 4-cent (?) Mar-Del Canning Company Token.

This one is marked with Armstrong, Delaware but apparently there are examples from Ashland, Wye, Carville and Barclay according to the Maryland Merchant Tokens Index.

If anyone has some info on how old this token is or some info about the company, I'd appreciate it.

Happy hunting, Kyle

DSCN9682.JPG

DSCN9683.JPG

Upvote 6

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not too far from you but I have never seen that one. I have found some different aluminum canning tokens though. Being aluminum I would assume WWII era. The older brass ones from this area can go back to the 1880s or so. I think the Delmarva was the fruit and vegetable capital of the US up until WWII then California took over

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing really documented for the company, but these are generally attributed as ‘picker’s tokens’ for tomatoes and other fruits. The issuing locations are as you say and it’s interesting that on the tokens ‘Barclay’ is misspelled as ‘Barckly’, and ‘Carville’ misspelled as ‘Carvel’.

One seller was claiming a date of ‘circa 1917-1918’ for his aluminium tokens which, as @toasted says, is highly improbable. The Armstrong ones go up to what appears to be $10 ‘face value’ which makes it even more unlikely. I would think 1940s.

Mar-Del.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love tokens thats a good one its fun to learn about them after you find em .Good job.......

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tokens are so cool and a great snapshot into the history of an area! Nice find! :icon_thumright:

billm

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listed in Delaware Merchant Tokens catalog as being in business from 1912-1914. Owners were John F. George (from Sudlersville), Spencer Walls & C.W. Baker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread