MARYLAND SURRENDERS HER COLONIAL AND CIVIL WAR BOOTY!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My younger brother who works as a fishing guide in Colorado got to talking with one of his clients from Washington County, Maryland about metal detecting for Civil War artifacts. My brother has guided for this fellow for 8 years now and knows him pretty well. Turns out the guy owns a farm that is just a couple miles from the Antietam battlefield and his barn was used as a hospital after the battle. He said that others have found relics on his property. My brother came back to Pennsylvania to visit for a couple weeks and he made arrangements for us to spend a couple days in Maryland at this guys house and metal detect his property. Things started off kinda slow - we checked some ridges where troops supposedly camped. The grass was high in these fields and we didn't find anything. Then in a pasture behind the barn I found a dropped minie ball, a fired minie ball, and a bayonet scabbard finial. We were both digging a lot of junk. Then my brother got the green light to dig in the mowed lawns around the house. I started hunting one side of the front lawn hoping to at least get some coins and I told my brother to take the other half of the lawn. But he had decided to hunt a large side yard instead. The front lawn wasn't giving up much - a 1910 penny, part of a shoe buckle, a couple squeeze box reeds, then a .69 caliber round ball. I was now in the half of the yard I had originally told my brother to hunt. The next signal was reading like a large copper. I opened up a plug, and pinpointed the signal in the bottom of the hole. I stuck my digger in to the side of where the signal was and pried up a clump of dirt. Up popped the plate, lead side up! I knew I had a plate. I flipped it over and saw the bold US staring me in the face. I have found four Civil War plates previously (CS tongue, CS wreath, VA Militia crossbelt, and a VMM) but this was my first US plate and it was dam-near perfect!! The next morning I dug a beautiful 1739 King George II half penny. We didn't dig a whole lot of relics at this spot, but I got a couple that I was really happy with. My brother was happy to dig a GS Eagle button, his first CW relic.
The first picture shows all our finds from the first site. My brother found the three buttons and the signal corps lead soldier to the right of the breast plate. We went on to a site in WV for a few hours during the afternoon of the second day. We each found some fired bullets and I found a four penny coin spill that included an 1881 Indian head and 1911-s, 1914, and 1918 Lincolns. The 1911-s is one of the better coins in the Lincoln penny series.
The last two pictures are of the house and the little friends who were very curious about metal detecting. Special thanks to the landowner and my brother for getting permission!

Attachments

• A. 4-26-14 ALL.JPG
    A. 4-26-14 ALL.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 136
  • B. 4-26-14 Civ.JPG
    B. 4-26-14 Civ.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 134
  • C. 4-26-14 Colonial All.JPG
    C. 4-26-14 Colonial All.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 138
  • D. Plate in dirt.jpg
    D. Plate in dirt.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 151
  • E. KG Back Dirty.jpg
    E. KG Back Dirty.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 148
  • F. KG Front Dirty.JPG
    F. KG Front Dirty.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 139
  • G. KG - Back1.JPG
    G. KG - Back1.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 153
  • H. KG - Front.JPG
    H. KG - Front.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 145
  • I. Plate - Front.JPG
    I. Plate - Front.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 133
  • J. Plate - Back.JPG
    J. Plate - Back.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 137
  • K. Pennies.JPG
    K. Pennies.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 131
  • L. House.jpg
    L. House.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 147
  • M. Turkeys.jpg
    M. Turkeys.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 137
  • E1.KG front.jpg
    E1.KG front.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 27

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys pretty much killed it Steve! Many congrats on all of those great finds but I especially love the colonial copper and US plate..two things I'll probably never unearth but I still love watching others dig them just as well:thumbsup:

Chris

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post and pics Steve!
smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Congrats on your first US plate find and the condition of your KG is one of the nicest I've ever seen dug! :o

Love the pic of your "little friends who were very curious about metal detecting". :laughing7:

Dave

PS. I'm voting BANNER on your plate find too bud!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet digs Steverino:headbang:

The soil was kind to that copper for sure..
That plate is in sweet shape also..Nice saves..

Are those three Archies watching you...They look like they could be.

Blaze

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and pics Steve!
smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Congrats on your first US plate find and the condition of your KG is one of the nicest I've ever seen dug! :o

Love the pic of your "little friends who were very curious about metal detecting". :laughing7:

Dave

PS. I'm voting BANNER on your plate find too bud!

Even though my US Box Plate is in excellent condition, it is far too common a find to make Banner. I appreciate the vote though :thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
They don't get much better than that Steve! Congrats on a pristine plate. I had the same experience, 2 militia plates and a breast plate, but couldn't get over the US until last year.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow!! great finds!!!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Like the rest of the folks here have been saying, that's one mighty belt plate and a solid looking King George. Those coins usually have virtually no detail when found. Yours is pretty.

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds!! Congratulations on the brass plate.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man! The quality of those finds are amazing! The condition of the plate is awesome and the detail on that KG is killer! Congrats :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions