Mass Inflation Ahead -- Save Your Nickels!

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Attention All!

Unlike US dimes and quarters, which stopped being made of 90% silver after 1964, the composition of a nickel has essentially been unchanged since the end of World War II. It is still a 5 gram coin that is an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel. (An aside: Some 1942 to 1945 five cent coins were made with 35% silver, because nickel was badly-needed for wartime industrial use.

According to www.Coinflation.com, the 1946-2008 Nickel (with a 5 cent face value) presently a has base metal value of $0.0677413. That is 135.48% of its face value. Hence, even at today's commodities prices, you will start out with a 35% gain by amassing a stockpile of nickels.)

Unless they decide to drop the issuance of nickels entirely, the US Mint will within the next three years be forced to introduce a "new" nickel with a debased composition. It will possibly be zinc (flashed with silver) or possibly even aluminum.

read the whole story http://www.survivalblog.com/nickels.html

Cachefinder-

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You missed the boat....A couple months ago the price for raw nickel was sky high. A 20 yard box of swarf, oil soaked nickel used in the stainless steel making process, was worth around $25,000.00. Now it's barely $2500.00, hardly worth us processing. The mill that it gets returned to even considered landfilling it as a cheaper alternative to us processing it for them. We de-oil it and they just toss it in the furnace to melt for steel. For all accounts, it's worthless now.
They do, however, reuse the oil for new swarf.

Al

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is really sad is digging zinc pennies....reminds me of the change I would pick up from East Germany when I traveled there in the 80s....cheap aluminum play money to represent your Governments currency....see where it got them..hope we don't travel this path.

B

BIG61AL

It's only a matter of time before it all gets switched to aluminum [recycled from soda cans].
The plus side - it will not come out the ground corroded, it will be super easy to find them with detectors, they will be easily recycled if the are bend or damaged.
the negative - no one will want to pay top dollar for "proof" aluminum coinage, they will appear super cheap and valueless, they will be easily bend or damaged and will be a pain to use in vending machine due to their lightness in weight. They no doubt will look like crap, just like those stupid zincolns.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I'm saving my gold nuggets. Nickels are dirt cheap when you cash then in. Nuggets rock, and cache finds rock.

A nickel does not buy anything any more save your gold and silver. Give your nickels to your seven year old grandchildren.

A nickel candy bar isn't anymore. Pull out your silver rounds and cash it in for a burger and fries. A nickel just doesn't cut it anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread