🥇 BANNER Mass Silver Surprise - 1652 Pine Tree Three-Pence!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first Mass Silver back in 2006, an Oak Tree shilling beauty (my avatar). Two more coins followed - a cut piece from another shilling and an Oak Tree two-pence sadly holed. Last weekend, I pulled my fourth coin, a 1652 Pine Tree three-pence from a farm field, and this coin had thankfully been lost before suffering any awful disfigurement. I had pulled a few musket balls, a lead disc and other lead fragments, an ox shoe, and a thick piece of brass of obvious age over the course of a 3+ hour hunt. I observed lots of surface finds where I started at the far end of the field - black glass, brick, mortar with clam shell filler, stoneware, and clay pipe stems.

P5020792.JPG

I was approaching the end of my morning hunt and figured that a few hours out on a sunny morning was the most I could expect from my trip, but then my Deus hit upon a strong, solid, medium-toned signal. It was only a few inches deep and looked at first to be a button, but then I saw the telltale beaded ring and tree along with the faint dating on the reverse side — Mass Silver! :hello2::hello2::hello2:

P4240629.JPG P4240658.JPG

The coin was exceedingly dark from heavy oxidation and required 3-4 electrolysis cooks each lasting a minute or so to treat. I'm unlikely to push it any further — better to leave well enough alone.

P4240704.JPG P4240702.JPG

P4300755.JPG P4300767.JPG
Before and after photos for results on use of electrolysis.

Some years I'm able to pull off an exceptional find, and other years it just doesn't happen. This year I got it done early!

I wish to post some add-on recoveries from last year. I delayed posting these because these early 17th century iron artifacts required a good deal of conservation work over the winter, and before and after images are needed to appreciate these finds.

PA140025 (2).JPG
The this large ferrous concretion was quite puzzling, but electrolysis would eventually reveal its purpose.

PA140034.JPG PA140038.JPG
Much of the surface dirty was best removed with a toothpick.

PB250328.JPG
Dirt all removed and ready for electrolysis.

P4300776.JPG
Electrolysis revealed a rounded blade for a grub hoe, but there was no eyelet for a wood handle. The heal of the hoe is solid iron.

P4300768.JPG
Two grub hoes from the same site - one English made with an eyelet for a wood handle and one Native made without a hole for a handle.

I spared no amount of effort for the best possible outcome with electrolysis followed my immersion in hot microcrystalline wax. I judged this work to be worth the effort, as these items were recovered from a Native American village in Southern New England dating back to the mid-to-late 17th century. Local tribes readily took to use of iron and brass with the earliest arrivals of the English and French. 12,000 years of using stone and other natural materials for weapons, tools, jewelry, and other implements, vanished in a generation. Evidence of metal working to repair and refashion iron and brass material shave been found by archaeologists, but these two items suggests that native blacksmiths were forging entirely new tools, knives and other products from recast iron. Their crude craftsmanship of these two recovered items, a grub hoe and a knife, suggest that they were indeed struggling and did not yet fully possess the necessary skill set, but they were certainly making progress. The native blacksmith apparently failed to work an eyelet for attaching a wood handle so the back end was filled solid
and fitted for grasping with one hand.

No matter the end result, it was better than digging with a clam shell. Similarly, the knife is very crude with a blade tip far too thick; the blade is not tapered. It’s native construction is also seen in the use of an integral handle made of extra thick stock. An English knife would have a composite blade made of wood or bone.

P4300783.JPG

I count myself as being very fortunate to live in a part of the US that has an old and rich history. One of my past banner finds, a 1693 Arabian silver coin from Yemen, was covered by the Associated Press on April 1st, owing to the coin’s connection to Red Sea piracy, specifically the robbery of a rich Mughal ship, the Ganj-i-sawai, by pirate Henry Every in 1695. :skullflag::blackbeard::skullflag::blackbeard::skullflag: The story went out on the AP’s international wire service and received more attention than I had ever thought possible largely owing to my extensive research proving that Henry Every came to the American Colonies while being sought by the English crown as the subject of the first worldwide manhunt. April was one crazy month. It was covered by online and print media in Smithsonian Magazine, the Washington Post, papers all over the US, and overseas in England, Ireland, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Israel, China, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand, and elsewhere. I did a half-dozen interviews in the first two days of the story making headlines and nationwide interviews in the US on NPR and in Canada on the CBC.

If interested, a Goggle search link for the media coverage is as follows:

https://www.google.com/search?q=henry+every+pirate+coin+found&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS921US921&oq=henry+every+pirate+coin+found&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59l3j35i39j69i60.11591j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It was the experience of a lifetime, so I wanted to share my story with everyone on T-Net, where I first posted my Red Sea pirate coin recovery way back in 2014. Back then it was the first complete coin to be found in the region. The total count for the article was at 16 silver Arabian coins found in Southern New England, and all dating no later than Henry Every’s capture of Ganj-i-Sawai off the coast of India in 1695. Detectorists account for 15 of the recovered coins, while the remaining specimen was found at an archaeological excavation of a 17th century homestead site in Connecticut. I’ve had to contend with some cynics since the story ran, and that’s no problem. I recently signed with a literary agent to co-author a book that will present all the evidence both on the coins’ unique provenance and a new history of Henry Every’s infamous voyage aboard the pirate ship Fancy :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag: The book should be out by next year.

So, I’ve got a great coin recovery on the board for 2021, and now it’s time to get writing.

Good Hunting to All,

STC — Jim Bailey

Upvote 112
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to send out a very belated thanks to the members for their replies and votes on this thread that out my Pine Tree three-pence up on top. A lot of detectorists who search for Mass Silver know that you have to be extremely determined to find these coins or extremely lucky. I should have posted these remarks to thank everyone but I've been out of sorts with my after injuring my left wrist back in May to the point that I had to go without detecting ever since. The wrist didn't heal, and I finally had corrective surgery thus past Wedenesday, so nothing to do now but hope for a good outcome. I hope it all goes well. Detecting with my right hand is terribly awkward for me.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You?re so right my friend you are so so lucky and the harder you work the luckier you get. [emoji631]

I hope you rehab it and you get back to doing what you do best swinging

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Take care of that wrist Jim the NEshilling will still be there when you have recovered.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You?re so right my friend you are so so lucky and the harder you work the luckier you get. [emoji631]

I hope you rehab it and you get back to doing what you do best swinging

Truth -

Thanks and yes, as noted in your profile, the best detectorists don't hope to get lucky. They make their own luck by putting in the time with research and getting out there digging. I met my new physical therapist to get my wrist healed up. He seems real old-school to me.

69df4d5ccc96d2ef56d3c6dee5694e4c.jpg

Good Hunting!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take care of that wrist Jim the NEshilling will still be there when you have recovered.

Good to hear from you George! Good point on waiting it out. If there's a coin out there waiting for me for the past 360+ years, then one more year isn't going to make a difference. I'll give you a call at some point.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to send out a very belated thanks to the members for their replies and votes on this thread that out my Pine Tree three-pence up on top. A lot of detectorists who search for Mass Silver know that you have to be extremely determined to find these coins or extremely lucky. I should have posted these remarks to thank everyone but I've been out of sorts with my after injuring my left wrist back in May to the point that I had to go without detecting ever since. The wrist didn't heal, and I finally had corrective surgery thus past Wednesday, so nothing to do now but hope for a good outcome. I hope it all goes well. Detecting with my right hand is terribly awkward for me.
Sorry to hear about your wrist injury, it must've been pretty serious for you to have surgery to repair it. I might suggest that you take it easy and let yourself heal properly, there's always next year and the finds aren't going anywhere. :thumbsup:

Take care my friend,
Dave

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your wrist injury, it must've been pretty serious for you to have surgery to repair it. I might suggest that you take it easy and let yourself heal properly, there's always next year and the finds aren't going anywhere. :thumbsup:

Take care my friend,
Dave

Thanks Dave for the safe advice. I'm hoping to get out there by the late fall. As it turns out, I'm hoping to take on a book project on the 17th century Arabian coins found in New England and their connection to the voyage of pirate captain Henry Every, so my spare time is occupied with that goal. It's turning out to be a far more complicated process than I would have ever thought. Thanks for your thoughts.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice!!!!!! Any Massachusetts tree coin is the very top of my list, congratulations

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for the OP. What kind of site was this and how did you find it? I understand if you don't want to go into specifics but I am newbie.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for the OP. What kind of site was this and how did you find it? I understand if you don't want to go into specifics but I am newbie.
It's a long-vanished house site located farmland, which is subject to occasional cultivation. I wish the whole area was worked more often, as there's more to be found without any doubt. An 18th century map showed the house site, which was further defined using Google Maps.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a long-vanished house site located farmland, which is subject to occasional cultivation. I wish the whole area was worked more often, as there's more to be found without any doubt. An 18th century map showed the house site, which was further defined using Google Maps.
That’s awesome thanks for sharing! Do you have a source for your 18th century maps? I’m trying to find something in my area of NY

zachg

Jun 6, 2022
I found my first Mass Silver back in 2006, an Oak Tree shilling beauty (my avatar). Two more coins followed - a cut piece from another shilling and an Oak Tree two-pence sadly holed. Last weekend, I pulled my fourth coin, a 1652 Pine Tree three-pence from a farm field, and this coin had thankfully been lost before suffering any awful disfigurement. I had pulled a few musket balls, a lead disc and other lead fragments, an ox shoe, and a thick piece of brass of obvious age over the course of a 3+ hour hunt. I observed lots of surface finds where I started at the far end of the field - black glass, brick, mortar with clam shell filler, stoneware, and clay pipe stems.

View attachment 1922850

I was approaching the end of my morning hunt and figured that a few hours out on a sunny morning was the most I could expect from my trip, but then my Deus hit upon a strong, solid, medium-toned signal. It was only a few inches deep and looked at first to be a button, but then I saw the telltale beaded ring and tree along with the faint dating on the reverse side — Mass Silver! :hello2::hello2::hello2:

View attachment 1922837 View attachment 1922838

The coin was exceedingly dark from heavy oxidation and required 3-4 electrolysis cooks each lasting a minute or so to treat. I'm unlikely to push it any further — better to leave well enough alone.

View attachment 1922840 View attachment 1922839

View attachment 1922841 View attachment 1922842
Before and after photos for results on use of electrolysis.

Some years I'm able to pull off an exceptional find, and other years it just doesn't happen. This year I got it done early!

I wish to post some add-on recoveries from last year. I delayed posting these because these early 17th century iron artifacts required a good deal of conservation work over the winter, and before and after images are needed to appreciate these finds.

View attachment 1922852
The this large ferrous concretion was quite puzzling, but electrolysis would eventually reveal its purpose.

View attachment 1922847 View attachment 1922848
Much of the surface dirty was best removed with a toothpick.

View attachment 1922849
Dirt all removed and ready for electrolysis.

View attachment 1922844
Electrolysis revealed a rounded blade for a grub hoe, but there was no eyelet for a wood handle. The heal of the hoe is solid iron.

View attachment 1922843
Two grub hoes from the same site - one English made with an eyelet for a wood handle and one Native made without a hole for a handle.

I spared no amount of effort for the best possible outcome with electrolysis followed my immersion in hot microcrystalline wax. I judged this work to be worth the effort, as these items were recovered from a Native American village in Southern New England dating back to the mid-to-late 17th century. Local tribes readily took to use of iron and brass with the earliest arrivals of the English and French. 12,000 years of using stone and other natural materials for weapons, tools, jewelry, and other implements, vanished in a generation. Evidence of metal working to repair and refashion iron and brass material shave been found by archaeologists, but these two items suggests that native blacksmiths were forging entirely new tools, knives and other products from recast iron. Their crude craftsmanship of these two recovered items, a grub hoe and a knife, suggest that they were indeed struggling and did not yet fully possess the necessary skill set, but they were certainly making progress. The native blacksmith apparently failed to work an eyelet for attaching a wood handle so the back end was filled solid
and fitted for grasping with one hand.

No matter the end result, it was better than digging with a clam shell. Similarly, the knife is very crude with a blade tip far too thick; the blade is not tapered. It’s native construction is also seen in the use of an integral handle made of extra thick stock. An English knife would have a composite blade made of wood or bone.

View attachment 1922845

I count myself as being very fortunate to live in a part of the US that has an old and rich history. One of my past banner finds, a 1693 Arabian silver coin from Yemen, was covered by the Associated Press on April 1st, owing to the coin’s connection to Red Sea piracy, specifically the robbery of a rich Mughal ship, the Ganj-i-sawai, by pirate Henry Every in 1695. :skullflag::blackbeard::skullflag::blackbeard::skullflag: The story went out on the AP’s international wire service and received more attention than I had ever thought possible largely owing to my extensive research proving that Henry Every came to the American Colonies while being sought by the English crown as the subject of the first worldwide manhunt. April was one crazy month. It was covered by online and print media in Smithsonian Magazine, the Washington Post, papers all over the US, and overseas in England, Ireland, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Israel, China, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand, and elsewhere. I did a half-dozen interviews in the first two days of the story making headlines and nationwide interviews in the US on NPR and in Canada on the CBC.

If interested, a Goggle search link for the media coverage is as follows:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hen...i39j69i60.11591j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It was the experience of a lifetime, so I wanted to share my story with everyone on T-Net, where I first posted my Red Sea pirate coin recovery way back in 2014. Back then it was the first complete coin to be found in the region. The total count for the article was at 16 silver Arabian coins found in Southern New England, and all dating no later than Henry Every’s capture of Ganj-i-Sawai off the coast of India in 1695. Detectorists account for 15 of the recovered coins, while the remaining specimen was found at an archaeological excavation of a 17th century homestead site in Connecticut. I’ve had to contend with some cynics since the story ran, and that’s no problem. I recently signed with a literary agent to co-author a book that will present all the evidence both on the coins’ unique provenance and a new history of Henry Every’s infamous voyage aboard the pirate ship Fancy :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag: The book should be out by next year.

So, I’ve got a great coin recovery on the board for 2021, and now it’s time to get writing.

Good Hunting to All,

STC — Jim Bailey
thats an amazing coin you found. good luck on finding more! god bless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread