Massacre Peak near Akela exit off I-10

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made an interesting find near the old Butterfield stage road in the area of Massacre Peak off I-10 near
the Akela exit. Does anyone know why they call this Massacre Peak or have any knowledge about a buried
cache near the Butterfield stage road? I have not been able to find any information about this area from my
own research. I am now willing to share ( by written contract) my site with anyone who can contribute some real info or documentation. I don't need a partner, but I will share find with anyone who has some information that will help in this recovery. I need to know where the graves from the massacre are located? I have found some already...I need more.
Does anyone have information? Please don't POST anything...just give me your contact information.
Thanks

Attachments

• 06194_14.jpg
    06194_14.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 767

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
The entire Butterfield Trail route from Mesilla through to Doubtful Canyon at the AZ line was prime ambush country by the Apache when the stage route was in operation. Your Massacre Peak, just like the Massacre Peak 20 miles further west, was presumably named in remembrance of a such an ambush. There are scores of graves along the way - usually marked by piles of rocks alongside the trail, some prominent, most vague and obscure. The survivors buried the victims where they fell and moved on. The short stretch between Fort Cummins and Pony Hill, called Cookes Canyon (including the west MP), is riddled with ambush sites and graves - a total 400 reported deaths in there. I'm not sure which incident resulted in the naming of your MP - might be diffcult/impossible to document. There could be, probably are, additional graves in the area that are not associated with your MP incident and are unknown to history. Interesting country there in the Good Sight and Uvas ranges, including a number of good petroglyph sites. Try talking to some of the local ranchers in the area - if their families have been there long enough, they may know something. Good luck.

WriterofWords

Apr 4, 2005
Southern N.M.
It was named after an incident when a group of soldiers who had been sent out to rescue a stage was run up the hill and held up there until they either chose to starve, or tried to fight their way out. They held out as long as they could but eventually decided to try and make a break for it by dark. They were ambushed coming down, picked off like flies and left where they dropped. There is a record of the graves that are in the area but the graves are all protected by law. The soldiers were taken back for burial.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made an interesting find near the old Butterfield stage road in the area of Massacre Peak off I-10 near
the Akela exit. Does anyone know why they call this Massacre Peak or have any knowledge about a buried
cache near the Butterfield stage road? I have not been able to find any information about this area from my
own research. I am now willing to share ( by written contract) my site with anyone who can contribute some real info or documentation. I don't need a partner, but I will share find with anyone who has some information that will help in this recovery. I need to know where the graves from the massacre are located? I have found some already...I need more.
Does anyone have information? Please don't POST anything...just give me your contact information.
Thanks
I know your post is old, but just curious if you got any help. I have done some research on the area but not sure anything I have would help you. I have information on some of the various fights that happened there.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked cattle around there a few times and I know the guy who managed the ranch for decades., that is all I have to offer.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I know your post is old, but just curious if you got any help. I have done some research on the area but not sure anything I have would help you. I have information on some of the various fights that happened there.
There are two Massacre Peaks. One is about 22 miles SE of Fort Cummins in the Good Sight Mountains. The second is the better known one (MP1), about 2.2 miles SW of Fort Cummins in Cookes Canyon.

There were about 400 killed by Apaches in the 1870s on the ancient trail that became the Butterfield Trail, aka Fort Cummins Road, etc. A couple dozen graves are scattered near the road from the fort westward in Cookes Canyon to Pony Hills, as many were buried where they fell. Look for rock piles. A few Apache breastworks close to the trail that were used as ambush sites can still be found, as well as .45-70 brass and flattened lead all over the place.

Major petroglyph sites on/near this route: Pony Hills (3.1 miles W of MP1), "Mine 5" (2 miles NW of MP1), "Mine 6" (1.8 miles NW of MP1) , and especially Frying Pan Canyon, aka "Mine 7" (1 mile W of MP1). Certain petroglyphs at all these sites are linked to major treasure rumors in the Cookes Range and beyond. Frying Pan Canyon is speculated by some to be an Aztec site.

For those so inclined, the Cookes Range has also generated cryptozoological sightings and UFO abduction reports dating back several generations since the early Anglo occupation.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two Massacre Peaks. One is about 22 miles SE of Fort Cummins in the Good Sight Mountains. The second is the better known one (MP1), about 2.2 miles SW of Fort Cummins in Cookes Canyon.

There were about 400 killed by Apaches in the 1870s on the ancient trail that became the Butterfield Trail, aka Fort Cummins Road, etc. A couple dozen graves are scattered near the road from the fort westward in Cookes Canyon to Pony Hills, as many were buried where they fell. Look for rock piles. A few Apache breastworks close to the trail that were used as ambush sites can still be found, as well as .45-70 brass and flattened lead all over the place.

Major petroglyph sites on/near this route: Pony Hills (3.1 miles W of MP1), "Mine 5" (2 miles NW of MP1), "Mine 6" (1.8 miles NW of MP1) , and especially Frying Pan Canyon, aka "Mine 7" (1 mile W of MP1). Certain petroglyphs at all these sites are linked to major treasure rumors in the Cookes Range and beyond. Frying Pan Canyon is speculated by some to be an Aztec site.

For those so inclined, the Cookes Range has also generated cryptozoological sightings and UFO abduction reports dating back several generations since the early Anglo occupation.
Good information. I had everything except for the UFO abduction reports. I will research that. Thanks.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you share ???
Sure. Most of what I have is print outs from web sites and google earth maps I have printed out with markings for locations. I will send you links to the articles on some websites when I get home in a few days. You probably already have more than me since you live near there. I will do what I can to help you.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you please point me in the direction where I can read about cryptozoological sightings and UFO abduction reports dating back several generations since the early Anglo occupation. Any information appreciated.

Regards

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you please point me in the direction where I can read about cryptozoological sightings and UFO abduction reports dating back several generations since the early Anglo occupation. Any information appreciated.

Regards
I don't know of any books or websites that mention these things. What I've heard is from people who knew about stuff from family history or hearsay from others (including me). My hiking partner and I spotted a "thunderbird" (large black bird with a 20-ft + wingspan) on the west slopes of Cookes Peak about 15 years ago. We verified the size by measuring the tree it was flying behind. This story I know is true because I was the witness and I know what I saw. We then found out that one of the ranch families out of Deming had seen the same thing back in the late 1800s. This info was from an old timer in that family. He said, "Grandpa never could figure out where it roosted."

In the 1990s I was curious about water gushing out of a hole along side a rock ledge down in a small arroyo following a heavy rain. This was east of Santa Rita near the old Copper Rose mine. I wanted to look in there so I worked my way down and crawled into the opening with a flashlight to have a look. I had wiggled about halfway in when I was looking straight into the face of a gigantic dark colored reptile lying lengthwise on a ledge on one side of the opening. All I remember about him was his eyes looking at me and his head was the size of a basketball. No idea how long his body was. I was so scared I don't remember how I got out of there and back up on solid ground again. Later I thought it must have been someone's pet Python or Boa that got loose, except I've seen those before and this thing was much, much bigger. I don't know what the hell that thing was.

Back in the 1970s some woman wrote a book about Cookes Peak having a UFO base inside it. The aliens were getting ready to evacuate the planet. The ships supposedly disguised themselves by creating clouds around them. Go figure.

In the 1980s, there were a number of reports about a couple different locals being abducted on Highway 61 somewhere around Faywood. Who knows?

There was also a Search and Rescue mission in the 1990s where the subject was found in the Cookes Range claiming he was drawn in there by aliens. The rescuers were pretty sure the guy was on drugs when they found him. Not a credible witness, but Cookes peak vicinity again.

I myself saw two unidentified objects, both closer to Silver City. One in the 1970s I saw from about 100 yards away, maybe a little more. It looked like some sort of drone, a big pointed tube about the size of a pickup truck with no wings, no markings, no sound, no pilot compartment, cruising maybe 50 mph. I was on top of a ridge and it was about the same level. I watched it cover maybe a mile before I lost sight of it.

Another air thingy in the 1980s. It was something very white about five miles in the distance, very bright, low in the sky and covering a large distance behind two mountain peaks very, very fast. I calculated how far it traveled while visible and how much time it took, and figured it was moving at least a couple thousand mph.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of any books or websites that mention these things. What I've heard is from people who knew about stuff from family history or hearsay from others (including me). My hiking partner and I spotted a "thunderbird" (large black bird with a 20-ft + wingspan) on the west slopes of Cookes Peak about 15 years ago. We verified the size by measuring the tree it was flying behind. This story I know is true because I was the witness and I know what I saw. We then found out that one of the ranch families out of Deming had seen the same thing back in the late 1800s. This info was from an old timer in that family. He said, "Grandpa never could figure out where it roosted."

In the 1990s I was curious about water gushing out of a hole along side a rock ledge down in a small arroyo following a heavy rain. This was east of Santa Rita near the old Copper Rose mine. I wanted to look in there so I worked my way down and crawled into the opening with a flashlight to have a look. I had wiggled about halfway in when I was looking straight into the face of a gigantic dark colored reptile lying lengthwise on a ledge on one side of the opening. All I remember about him was his eyes looking at me and his head was the size of a basketball. No idea how long his body was. I was so scared I don't remember how I got out of there and back up on solid ground again. Later I thought it must have been someone's pet Python or Boa that got loose, except I've seen those before and this thing was much, much bigger. I don't know what the hell that thing was.

Back in the 1970s some woman wrote a book about Cookes Peak having a UFO base inside it. The aliens were getting ready to evacuate the planet. The ships supposedly disguised themselves by creating clouds around them. Go figure.

In the 1980s, there were a number of reports about a couple different locals being abducted on Highway 61 somewhere around Faywood. Who knows?

There was also a Search and Rescue mission in the 1990s where the subject was found in the Cookes Range claiming he was drawn in there by aliens. The rescuers were pretty sure the guy was on drugs when they found him. Not a credible witness, but Cookes peak vicinity again.

I myself saw two unidentified objects, both closer to Silver City. One in the 1970s I saw from about 100 yards away, maybe a little more. It looked like some sort of drone, a big pointed tube about the size of a pickup truck with no wings, no markings, no sound, no pilot compartment, cruising maybe 50 mph. I was on top of a ridge and it was about the same level. I watched it cover maybe a mile before I lost sight of it.

Another air thingy in the 1980s. It was something very white about five miles in the distance, very bright, low in the sky and covering a large distance behind two mountain peaks very, very fast. I calculated how far it traveled while visible and how much time it took, and figured it was moving at least a couple thousand mph.
Thanks for your reply and the description of events. You have had an interesting life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions