Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I arrived at the beach it was 6am, still very dark and the gibbous moon was low on the horizon. I was packing my Equinox 800 with the WM08 wireless modual and T Rex scoop with carbon fiber handle. I started my hunt as soon as I left the parking lot; the beach was quiet, almost TOO quiet. Must have been hunted out recently, I said to myself. I worked my way to the water; first time in the water and only second time hunting this year because of Covid. For the first hr or so in the water all I had found was a single quarter. Some winter hunts are like that; little change and nothing else. But I was really enjoying the early morning at the beach. I was about 1 hr into my 5 hr water hunt in 2 ft of water with low tide when I got a scratchy but strong signal at 15-16 using Beach 2 with usual settings. Several bottle caps or pull tabs I thought, but I was happy to get a signal any signal to dig. The first sand scoop came up empty. So I thrust the scoop deeper and before I knew it I was starring at the bottom of my scoop with a hugh chain at the bottom. Can’t be real, I said to myself, as I pulled the chain from the scoop. Thing is heavy. Last year I found a gold colored dog chain and this chain fit the bill. It was just getting light by this time and I strained to make-out the lettering on the clasp – 14K I soon realized it read. Dang thing must be 2 ozs! I can’t believe it…

The rest of the hunt was uneventful; about 15 coins and not much else. When I got home I showed the chain to my wife, who did not express an interest in keeping it [praise the lord!]. When I placed it on the wife’s food scale and saw the weight I didn’t believe the scale. I kept changing the settings looking for what I thought was the “correct” weight of around 2 oz. After looking at pounds (0.386), ounces (6.17) and grams (174.5), I realized that the actual weight was 6.17 ounces!!! Holy Toledo. Checking the gold spot ($1795), that 14k chain is worth a cool SIX GRAND and change. Guess I paid for my detector, again. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 677
  • GOLD Chain.jpg
    GOLD Chain.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 674
Upvote 55

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
174.5 grams is 5.61 troy ounces, which is used when weighing precious metals, so it's a bit less than the 6.17 avoirdupois ounces you've calculated but still an incredible find.

Gold is $1807.17 at the moment, so 14K at 174.5 grams is $5,515.49. Not bad at all.

EDIT: After enlarging your photo of the mark I agree you need to have it tested. From the image it looks like the mark is engraved or acid etched, gold is almost exclusively stamped. Good luck, we all hope it's real.

Last edited:

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
They laser etched the gold purity as stamping would have likely broke the plating. I would not throw it out before acid testing, and I would not wear it till I took the radiation detector to it.

I found a necklace at a thrift store that measured 1500CPM or 40x back ground radiation.

7centsworth

Oct 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
They laser etched the gold purity as stamping would have likely broke the plating. I would not throw it out before acid testing, and I would not wear it till I took the radiation detector to it.

I found a necklace at a thrift store that measured 1500CPM or 40x back ground radiation.
I don’t know much about jewelry. What is radiation on jewelry?

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
The cheap jewelry from overseas can be made out of all sorts of contaminated materials. Some of the metals have been recycled from Nuclear facilities. The plastic iridescent beads on one of the necklaces I found at a thrift store would give a child more radiation in a day than a Nuclear reactor tech receives in a year. Cancer for sale for children.

I don’t know much about jewelry. What is radiation on jewelry?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The cheap jewelry from overseas can be made out of all sorts of contaminated materials. Some of the metals have been recycled from Nuclear facilities. The plastic iridescent beads on one of the necklaces I found at a thrift store would give a child more radiation in a day than a Nuclear reactor tech receives in a year. Cancer for sale for children.
If that chain had any radiation it would set off any drive on scale at most landfill and recyclers.
Most port of entries all containers go through the detectors.
How sensitive are these detectors.
Get a tracing die xray/CTscan and it will set the detectors off for two weeks.

Back to the regular program.
Great recovery on the honking big chain.
Best of luck on the test.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting discussion. Have handled a lot of gold in the past and quite frankly never gave it (authenticity) a thought. Guess when I sell it (at refinery) I'll find out!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The clasp looks like something you would find on quality jewelry I myself think it's good but get a jeweler to check it out.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started doing some searching, there seems to be a lot of large similar gold chains, both 14K gold plated and real gold chains. Saw 1 reference for radioactive gold chains, didn't have time to check it out yet.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've picked up a few tips on how to know if gold plated myself. Modern jewelry is an alloy of gold, but pure gold can be used on jewelry. Pure gold plated jewelry is much brighter, because it is plated using 24K gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread