Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I arrived at the beach it was 6am, still very dark and the gibbous moon was low on the horizon. I was packing my Equinox 800 with the WM08 wireless modual and T Rex scoop with carbon fiber handle. I started my hunt as soon as I left the parking lot; the beach was quiet, almost TOO quiet. Must have been hunted out recently, I said to myself. I worked my way to the water; first time in the water and only second time hunting this year because of Covid. For the first hr or so in the water all I had found was a single quarter. Some winter hunts are like that; little change and nothing else. But I was really enjoying the early morning at the beach. I was about 1 hr into my 5 hr water hunt in 2 ft of water with low tide when I got a scratchy but strong signal at 15-16 using Beach 2 with usual settings. Several bottle caps or pull tabs I thought, but I was happy to get a signal any signal to dig. The first sand scoop came up empty. So I thrust the scoop deeper and before I knew it I was starring at the bottom of my scoop with a hugh chain at the bottom. Can’t be real, I said to myself, as I pulled the chain from the scoop. Thing is heavy. Last year I found a gold colored dog chain and this chain fit the bill. It was just getting light by this time and I strained to make-out the lettering on the clasp – 14K I soon realized it read. Dang thing must be 2 ozs! I can’t believe it…

The rest of the hunt was uneventful; about 15 coins and not much else. When I got home I showed the chain to my wife, who did not express an interest in keeping it [praise the lord!]. When I placed it on the wife’s food scale and saw the weight I didn’t believe the scale. I kept changing the settings looking for what I thought was the “correct” weight of around 2 oz. After looking at pounds (0.386), ounces (6.17) and grams (174.5), I realized that the actual weight was 6.17 ounces!!! Holy Toledo. Checking the gold spot ($1795), that 14k chain is worth a cool SIX GRAND and change. Guess I paid for my detector, again. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 677
  • GOLD Chain.jpg
    GOLD Chain.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 674
Upvote 55

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low level, radioactive jewelry glazes, have been around since early 1980s. Here is an old archive, New York Times article they digitalized.

The items include pendants, bracelets, earrings and combs, usually costing between $2 and $15, with enamel designs of flowers, butterflies or animals and gold-colored metal etching.

CAUTION: RADIOACTIVE JEWELRY--New York Times

Drew61

Feb 23, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it’s real for you. My last two heartbreakers were stamped 14k but fake. It looks like the links aren’t welded which is not a good sign. A jeweler will let you know immediately.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it’s real for you. My last two heartbreakers were stamped 14k but fake. It looks like the links aren’t welded which is not a good sign. A jeweler will let you know immediately.
I found one ring stamped 14k that when I tested it turned out to not be gold at all. It seems 14k is the most faked.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once read that gold is more prone to absorb radiation if worn or taken near a source of radiation.Don,t know if that,s true,just throwing it out there.I do hope yours turns out to be real,what a payday!

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well, the radiation thing helps explain why I now glow in the dark!
Separated by 1,000 miles from the chain now and have to wait until May to have it tested/ sell it - now that ya'll have given me second thoughts about the chain...But stamp was very deep and clear and color was right as was feel (weight given volume)...I'll just believe it is real right now but let ya'll know when I can confirm in 4 months.
HAPPY Hunting

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Still hoping the original posters is real.
Here’s my 55g teaser from a couple of weeks ago.
View attachment 1999528 View attachment 1999530
Compare the clarity of the 14K stamp fake here to the sharp 14K punch mark on the one I found and there is no comparison. Also note that poor quality of the link holding the clasp above the 14k tag. The one I found was double clasped.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Well, the radiation thing helps explain why I now glow in the dark!
Separated by 1,000 miles from the chain now and have to wait until May to have it tested/ sell it - now that ya'll have given me second thoughts about the chain...But stamp was very deep and clear and color was right as was feel (weight given volume)...I'll just believe it is real right now but let ya'll know when I can confirm in 4 months.
HAPPY Hunting
It may just be the lighting but that chain looks legit. In fact If it was me I may not mention It again after testing. That is a great find and shows there is always something to find, even in a quiet spot known to have good targets in the past. Congratulations!!

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Its a great find even if its fake. I looked at your pic of it a little closer and its most certainly a fake. On chains of this size it would be extremely ludicrous not to braze the links together.
Gold chain not brazed.png

Grunter

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did it pass the magnet test? I found a similar item in a fresh water lake this summer. It was stamped 14K on the clasp. I held it up to a strong magnet and the slap I heard was a crashing sound when my expectations hit the floor.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow dude I would've had a heart attack, last wedding band I dug I was expecting a pulltab and it literally took my breath away. This is why we do this I sincerely hope it passes your scratch test on the acid plate and you can finance a trip to Japan to dig more gold for the forum...j/k but prolly what I'd spend it on lol

Oldpirate

Aug 25, 2018
Savannah Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Minelab equinox 900
Primary Interest:
When I arrived at the beach it was 6am, still very dark and the gibbous moon was low on the horizon. I was packing my Equinox 800 with the WM08 wireless modual and T Rex scoop with carbon fiber handle. I started my hunt as soon as I left the parking lot; the beach was quiet, almost TOO quiet. Must have been hunted out recently, I said to myself. I worked my way to the water; first time in the water and only second time hunting this year because of Covid. For the first hr or so in the water all I had found was a single quarter. Some winter hunts are like that; little change and nothing else. But I was really enjoying the early morning at the beach. I was about 1 hr into my 5 hr water hunt in 2 ft of water with low tide when I got a scratchy but strong signal at 15-16 using Beach 2 with usual settings. Several bottle caps or pull tabs I thought, but I was happy to get a signal any signal to dig. The first sand scoop came up empty. So I thrust the scoop deeper and before I knew it I was starring at the bottom of my scoop with a hugh chain at the bottom. Can’t be real, I said to myself, as I pulled the chain from the scoop. Thing is heavy. Last year I found a gold colored dog chain and this chain fit the bill. It was just getting light by this time and I strained to make-out the lettering on the clasp – 14K I soon realized it read. Dang thing must be 2 ozs! I can’t believe it…

The rest of the hunt was uneventful; about 15 coins and not much else. When I got home I showed the chain to my wife, who did not express an interest in keeping it [praise the lord!]. When I placed it on the wife’s food scale and saw the weight I didn’t believe the scale. I kept changing the settings looking for what I thought was the “correct” weight of around 2 oz. After looking at pounds (0.386), ounces (6.17) and grams (174.5), I realized that the actual weight was 6.17 ounces!!! Holy Toledo. Checking the gold spot ($1795), that 14k chain is worth a cool SIX GRAND and change. Guess I paid for my detector, again. Happy hunting.
That is a hunk of gold congratulations

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
WOW I worked in a lot of nuke plants and was only ever exposed to those levels 2 times in 20 + years. Learn something new everyday. One more reason not to buy Chinese made garbage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread