Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I arrived at the beach it was 6am, still very dark and the gibbous moon was low on the horizon. I was packing my Equinox 800 with the WM08 wireless modual and T Rex scoop with carbon fiber handle. I started my hunt as soon as I left the parking lot; the beach was quiet, almost TOO quiet. Must have been hunted out recently, I said to myself. I worked my way to the water; first time in the water and only second time hunting this year because of Covid. For the first hr or so in the water all I had found was a single quarter. Some winter hunts are like that; little change and nothing else. But I was really enjoying the early morning at the beach. I was about 1 hr into my 5 hr water hunt in 2 ft of water with low tide when I got a scratchy but strong signal at 15-16 using Beach 2 with usual settings. Several bottle caps or pull tabs I thought, but I was happy to get a signal any signal to dig. The first sand scoop came up empty. So I thrust the scoop deeper and before I knew it I was starring at the bottom of my scoop with a hugh chain at the bottom. Can’t be real, I said to myself, as I pulled the chain from the scoop. Thing is heavy. Last year I found a gold colored dog chain and this chain fit the bill. It was just getting light by this time and I strained to make-out the lettering on the clasp – 14K I soon realized it read. Dang thing must be 2 ozs! I can’t believe it…

The rest of the hunt was uneventful; about 15 coins and not much else. When I got home I showed the chain to my wife, who did not express an interest in keeping it [praise the lord!]. When I placed it on the wife’s food scale and saw the weight I didn’t believe the scale. I kept changing the settings looking for what I thought was the “correct” weight of around 2 oz. After looking at pounds (0.386), ounces (6.17) and grams (174.5), I realized that the actual weight was 6.17 ounces!!! Holy Toledo. Checking the gold spot ($1795), that 14k chain is worth a cool SIX GRAND and change. Guess I paid for my detector, again. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 677
  • GOLD Chain.jpg
    GOLD Chain.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 674
Upvote 55

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I arrived at the beach it was 6am, still very dark and the gibbous moon was low on the horizon. I was packing my Equinox 800 with the WM08 wireless modual and T Rex scoop with carbon fiber handle. I started my hunt as soon as I left the parking lot; the beach was quiet, almost TOO quiet. Must have been hunted out recently, I said to myself. I worked my way to the water; first time in the water and only second time hunting this year because of Covid. For the first hr or so in the water all I had found was a single quarter. Some winter hunts are like that; little change and nothing else. But I was really enjoying the early morning at the beach. I was about 1 hr into my 5 hr water hunt in 2 ft of water with low tide when I got a scratchy but strong signal at 15-16 using Beach 2 with usual settings. Several bottle caps or pull tabs I thought, but I was happy to get a signal any signal to dig. The first sand scoop came up empty. So I thrust the scoop deeper and before I knew it I was starring at the bottom of my scoop with a hugh chain at the bottom. Can’t be real, I said to myself, as I pulled the chain from the scoop. Thing is heavy. Last year I found a gold colored dog chain and this chain fit the bill. It was just getting light by this time and I strained to make-out the lettering on the clasp – 14K I soon realized it read. Dang thing must be 2 ozs! I can’t believe it…

The rest of the hunt was uneventful; about 15 coins and not much else. When I got home I showed the chain to my wife, who did not express an interest in keeping it [praise the lord!]. When I placed it on the wife’s food scale and saw the weight I didn’t believe the scale. I kept changing the settings looking for what I thought was the “correct” weight of around 2 oz. After looking at pounds (0.386), ounces (6.17) and grams (174.5), I realized that the actual weight was 6.17 ounces!!! Holy Toledo. Checking the gold spot ($1795), that 14k chain is worth a cool SIX GRAND and change. Guess I paid for my detector, again. Happy hunting.
Hey Lawrence, incredible find..
That's what we dream about..
Unreal...where do you sell your gold?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That chain is real...people on here jealous and hope it's not...they gonna be heartbroken because that baby is the real deal.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of jewelry is stamped inside. With that amount of melt value or resale....... man id have a jewelry guy look at it. But then .... id die with it in my treasure box lol

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with this most likely being fake. Go online and watch a video of how these chains are made. Real gold chains need the links soldered together. Part of this is because of the process of putting the chain through a roller which stretches and bends the links shapes. Then it is filed to create the flatness on top and bottom. Doing this process without soldered links would make the chain fall to pieces. Could it still be gold? Yes I suppose, but extremely unlikely. looking forward to hearing back about it either way though.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super find if it checks out. Congratulations!

I told Mr. T to take off his jewelry while swimming, but he said, "I pity the fool that says that to me" so I just shut up. Serves him right.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey lookindown, good to see you're still in the game - have never sold my gold, yet. Wife keeps stealing it but it was a god send that she didn't like the big chain. Most probably sell to refinery as discussed in previous threads when I get back home. [btw I imagine you kept the gigantic diamond ring you found several yrs ago when we last met.]

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with this most likely being fake. Go online and watch a video of how these chains are made. Real gold chains need the links soldered together. Part of this is because of the process of putting the chain through a roller which stretches and bends the links shapes. Then it is filed to create the flatness on top and bottom. Doing this process without soldered links would make the chain fall to pieces. Could it still be gold? Yes I suppose, but extremely unlikely. looking forward to hearing back about it either way though.
The logic of this post is top-notch. Use ur noggin everyone! That chain can’t be spun and then stretched.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That chain is real...people on here jealous and hope it's not...they gonna be heartbroken because that baby is the real deal.
I agree and am a Master Jeweler, it is a Hand alloyed, Hand Made Cuban chain, they do Great work on those chains in Cuba. The place that made it is a chain Only maker for export, they are Honest and superb at what they do.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know someone who has a chain like this, and it was made by cuban immigrants in Miami one link at a time. You bring them gold, and they add a link on.....they are very well known down here !! And this type of chain is not uncommon among the hip hop elite of Miami.

The guy that I know who owns a chain like this one had it built after I could not locate his 4oz chain with atocha coin that was lost on a jetski !! Its still out there, and I still look. Ill be out to the spot this summer, as a gold Rolex is also lost in the same popular sand bar spot !!

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take that massive chain to a jeweler. Congratulations on great find sir! A jeweler can test it and give you a definitive answer. I found a gold chain with a few pendants a couple of years back. Unfortunately the chain was gold plated but still a great find. Best of luck!! Keep us posted.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey lookindown, good to see you're still in the game - have never sold my gold, yet. Wife keeps stealing it but it was a god send that she didn't like the big chain. Most probably sell to refinery as discussed in previous threads when I get back home. [btw I imagine you kept the gigantic diamond ring you found several yrs ago when we last met.]

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a big diamond ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a big diamond ring

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Large marked 14k Chain is FAKE
Back Story
– Found this chain last year in Florida. Marked 14k, heavy at about 5-6oz, and looked real good. Never crossed my mind that it could be fake. Sent it home for safe-keeping and then posted find on TreasureNet. Several viewers thought it might be fake with one major reason being that the chain links were not welded together. Had to wait until I returned to Ohio in May to test chain.

Update – A scratch test revealed that the chain was between 10 and 14k, However, when a small cut was filed in one of the links and a 10k acid test performed, the test cut produced extensive bubbles (couldn’t make out color) indicating that the base metal was NOT gold. I think my wife cried even more than me… Easy come and easy go.

Happy Hunting

Attachments

• Marked 14k fake chain.jpg
    Marked 14k fake chain.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Unsodered link.jpg
    Unsodered link.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Scrach test 10 to 14k.jpg
    Scrach test 10 to 14k.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Acid test failed.jpg
    Acid test failed.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 39

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear Lawerence, sounds like it was gold plated... Still a nice find.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear it. You don’t realize how much marked fake gold there Is until you pull up a few. I am always deeply suspicious of anything marked 14k or Italy. And in the end you still got to experience the wonderful rush you get when you see big gold in your scoop.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well that's bummer, I hope you didn't order any new toys on the prospect of it being the real deal.
Thanks for posting up the results though, better luck the next time.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Its a cool find none the less.... Thank you for being honest and posting up the results.

I used to deal in Gold and Silver and the unbrazed links where a dead give away of its authenticity. Hope the next one is 22K for you.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you for coming back and posting the results. It might've been a bitter pill to swallow, but at least you know.

It's still a pretty awesome-looking chain. You should rent it out for Halloween parties! :)

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread