Massive Haul at the Coinstar Today

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the supermarket today and saw a massive pile of coins in the reject bin.
Same market as 2 months ago when I found the silver quarter cache (prior post)

Silver:
1964-D 10c
1962-D 10c
1941-P 10c
1916-S 10c - When I got in the car and looked I saw it was a 1916-S and in fantastic shape - I thought I had the key coin as I knew one of the 1916 coins were worth a ton - until I got home and saw that it was the D that is worth thousands of $. I am in no way complaining - a 1916-S in this condition is great.
1942 UK one shilling

coinstar 5-12-5.jpg coinstar 5-12-6.jpg

Lots of British imperial and colonial coins including:
1 1/2 crown (I never had one of those before) - George VI
1 two shillings
3 one shilling
2 sixpence (one is George VI)
5 threepence (one Geo VI)
2 large pennies (both are George V)

coinstar 5-12-4.jpg

older coins from Jamaica:
4 large pennies (one Geo VI)
3 large 1/2 pennies
1 farthing from 1934 (Geo V)
rest are decimal coins from the late 1960s-early 1970s

coinstar 5-12-3.jpg

a hodgepodge of other coins:
2 old Mexican 20 centavos (1944, 1965)
11 Bahamanian cents (with QEII)
10 Cayman cents
10 French francs from 1955
1 NYC subway token

coinstar 5-12-1.jpg

79 cents in clad

coinstar 5-12-2.jpg

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Nokta Simplex, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing.:thumbsup:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! I bet they dumped grandpa's collection so they could buy more toilet paper... :laughing7:

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. That's one of the nicest Coinstar Mercs I've seen, period. And I've never seen farthings and thruppences "in the flesh."

Whoever left these in likely abandoned what he thought was of no use to him. He probably thought the Mercs were foreign too, and the other two dimes might have been easily overlooked in that pile. Even the clad would have required some effort to separate.

Why dump in foreign coins in the first place? Maybe just hoping to get lucky.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder what made it inside.....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have got to be kidding time to sell the detecter and do coin stars. Great score

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds. That's one of the nicest Coinstar Mercs I've seen, period. And I've never seen farthings and thruppences "in the flesh."

Whoever left these in likely abandoned what he thought was of no use to him. He probably thought the Mercs were foreign too, and the other two dimes might have been easily overlooked in that pile. Even the clad would have required some effort to separate.

Why dump in foreign coins in the first place? Maybe just hoping to get lucky.

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that someone traveled back in the 1960s and early 1970s, and put the coins they got back in a jar with US coins they got over the years and now finally decided to dump the whole load.

You could have gotten shillings in change up until the early 1990s, but thruppences, half crowns, and the like were gone upon the conversion to decimal In 1971.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess this is loot from a burglary of someones coin collection.

A lot of thieves want to get rid of their haul as soon as possible and a coinstar machine makes it quick to convert to paper.

Years ago there was gold jewelry buyers that you could send gold jewelry to and they would give you a price for what you sent.

Cops around the US started to find thieves carrying the gold buyers envelopes on the thieves.

The thieves found it was safer to take the jewelry they got in home burglaries straight to a mail box and send it to these gold buyers and cut the risk of getting caught with it or trying to pawn it local

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread