Mastodon Tooth

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I actually found this earlier this summer while artifact hunting in one of our local creeks, I had a couple Kansas State Archeologist's verify it, Its a tooth from a Mastodon, It was laying upside down on a wet sandbar with just the roots sticking up, i just thought it was a bone but i picked it up and looked at it for the fun of it and i was shocked, the teeth segments are really shiny still, very suprised that the roots were still in as good as shape as they were being in a creek and rolling around with all the rocks, They figured it hadnt been in the creek too long and must have washed out of the bank not too far upstream, I plan to do a bunch more looking in that area as soon as spring arrives, Just thought i would share this with everyone, This is my first post, i have always looked through the threads here and love what i see, I just started metal detecting last summer and still have a lot to learn. thanks for a great learning sight, Good luck everyone, Sam

Attachments

• tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,327
Upvote 0

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
That is a really nice mastodon tooth . I found a piece of a mastodon jaw with teeth still in it . 8) 8) 8) :)

Attachments

• my pictures 088.jpg
    my pictures 088.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • my fossils 634.jpg
    my fossils 634.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,511
  • my pictures 088.jpg
    my pictures 088.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,026

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
sapphire miner said:
I have a baby Mastodon Tooth, it looks much different than the Tooth you found.
I did not find my tooth, I paid $ for it at a Dino store. During this adventure to go Dino diggen/hunting,
in known locality, I stop at this great store in the area and when I spied this tooth, well lets just say it had to have me.

sapphire, your tooth is a mammoth tooth and a nice one also. 8) 8) 8) :)

Attachments

• my pictures 048.jpg
    my pictures 048.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,045

sseth

Apr 14, 2010
Sweet. I am a fossil junkie at heart. I have been a member of the fossil forum for quite some time but am new here. That tooth has great roots and crown. It looks to be unerupted? It is my dream to find one like that.
Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread