Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Avon products were toned down a bit during WWII. Metal was needed for the war effort. Instead
of metal lids, Avon went to cardboard, for example. But, after the war ? ... that was a different story.

The men were coming home ... and the women knew it. The end of the war sent industries
scrambling for new civilian markets. One thing they had lots of was brass.

Avon lipstick production increased to some 300,000 lipsticks a day.

Avon 3.jpg

Pieces such as yours have been found and discussed. (see the first three below)
But, I think they may have been mistaken about them being Revlon ?

Vintage pieces showing up suggest they were made by Avon.
Part of the problem is the vast selection of color names causing confusion.

It was an interesting time. Rationing was over. You want a car ... no problem. We'll give you a
big ol' car ... slap a lot of chrome on it, too. Don't worry about the mileage ... there's lots of gas
now that the war's over. Any color you want.

Lipstick ? We got all this brass and nobody needs bullets. Adjust the machines a little
and we got lipstick tubes. Lipstick any color you want. Sell, sell, sell !

Avon 1.jpg

But, the Avon stickers ? They didn't age well. They bleached swiftly in the sun. When discarded, the slightest moisture would weaken the glue and the stickers would slide off. It would be normal to dig these up and not find the brand.

When you finally get yours wiggled apart, see if you can find what looks like the letter U stamped on the inner cylinder. That would be another clue.

I think this one kind of cinches it for me. It really does look like these were an Avon product.

COLOR LAST
(color of lipstick)
Avon Products, Inc. New York

Avon.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for that bit of history on this lip stick tube. it's so cool to see how cosmetics have changed over time. That was real metal than. Now it's plastic or some kind of cheep stuff to day.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Avon products were toned down a bit during WWII. Metal was needed for the war effort. Instead
of metal lids, Avon went to cardboard, for example. But, after the war ? ... that was a different story.

The men were coming home ... and the women knew it. The end of the war sent industries

View attachment 1983628

It was an interesting time. Rationing was over. You want a car ... no problem. We'll give you a
big ol' car ... slap a lot of chrome on it, too. Don't worry about the mileage ... there's lots of gas

Lipstick ? We got all this brass and nobody needs bullets. Adjust the machines a little

View attachment 1983629

But, the Avon stickers ? They didn't age well. They bleached swiftly in the sun. When discarded, the slightest moisture would weaken the glue and the stickers would slide off. It would be normal to dig these up and not find the brand.

When you finally get yours wiggled apart, see if you can find what looks like the letter U stamped on the inner cylinder. That would be another clue.

I think this one kind of cinches it for me. It really does look like these were an Avon product.

COLOR LAST
(color of lipstick)

View attachment 1983630

Upvote 1

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1983628

View attachment 1983629

COLOR LAST
(color of lipstick)

View attachment 1983630
I found the top part of one yesterday and on it was Michelin Tire Company, any info on that time frame ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread