Matched 2013 B Serial Number Star Notes

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a matched pair of 2013 B star notes.
Any information on best way to sell them and value?
TIA.

100_1156.JPG

Best Wishes,

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There shouldn't be 2 bills with the same serial number in the same series, but these were printed at different facilities. One was printed in Washington, DC, the other in Fort Worth, TX. I thought they still avoided repeating serial numbers. That's interesting.

Scott

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kind of a cool find-congrats
I see the front plate # are different so the top bill was Fort Worth. the bottom being Washington-is that correct?
Have you contacted the link site yet?

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a cool find-congrats
I see the front plate # are different so the top bill was Fort Worth. the bottom being Washington-is that correct?
Have you contacted the link site yet?
Yes.
I've also contacted Heritage Auctions.
Waiting to hear back.

Be Well!

Scott

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a matched pair of 2013 B star notes.
Any information on best way to sell them and value?
TIA.

Best Wishes,
Scott

There shouldn't be 2 bills with the same serial number in the same series, but these were printed at different facilities. One was printed in Washington, DC, the other in Fort Worth, TX. I thought they still avoided repeating serial numbers. That's interesting.

Scott

That’s correct, the numbers should not be duplicated even when the notes are printed at different plants. But this was an administrative cock-up by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing (BEP). The BEP authorises particular serial number runs for exclusive use by one or other of its two printing plants in Washington DC or Forth Worth, Texas. They then intermittently release monthly reports after the print runs have been completed, documenting the actual serial numbers used.

Collectors began to get excited in early 2015 when the $1 Series of 2013 New York star notes printed in Washington, DC began to appear in circulation with serial numbers that weren’t listed in the published BEP production records. Responding to a Freedom of Information Act request in December 2015, the BEP admitted that serial number runs authorised for use by the Washington plant and printed in November and December of 2014 had been inadvertently omitted from their reports.

It wasn’t until the BEP’s June and July 2015 production records were released that the implications of the cock-up became apparent. Some (but not all) of the improperly documented serial numbers authorised for Washington had been unintentionally re-issued for use by the Fort Worth, Texas plant to print additional New York star notes. In total, the ‘overlapping’ serial numbers resulted in 6,650,000 pairs of notes having matching numbers.

The ’Project 2013B’ website linked above is a remarkable endeavour which potentially enables collectors with a singleton note from one or other of the plants to find its partner with a matching serial number and hugely increase the value for the pair. So, as things stand, the pair that you have should have a substantial value because there hasn’t yet been much ‘matching’.

But, here’s the rub. As I see it, the more matches that are achieved, the more the price will drop and there are an awful lot of duplicate serials out there which are yet to be paired up. My take would be that selling prices will progressively drop steeply as more matches are made, and so too will the value of pairs which might have been purchased at high prices in the ‘early days’. It sounds like you should attempt to sell as swiftly as possible, playing up the current ‘rarity’. Ebay, with a high reserve, might be as good a place as any.

Incidentally, since the ’discovery’ of these paired notes, there has been an issue with the likes of companies such as Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®). Up until July last year they had refused to acknowledge these notes as “errors” and would only grade them as “duplicated serial numbers”. Under continued protest from someone who had a matching pair and with support from Dr. Frederick Bart (author of “United States Paper Money Errors”) PMG, at least, ultimately relented. Dr. Bart went on record in part with: “I endorse these as ‘Production Errors’ and believe they should be classified as Production Errors with Duplicated Serial Numbers. I intend to identify these as such, in the 5th Edition of United States Paper Money Errors.”

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s correct, the numbers should not be duplicated even when the notes are printed at different plants. But this was an administrative cock-up by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing (BEP). The BEP authorises particular serial number runs for exclusive use by one or other of its two printing plants in Washington DC or Forth Worth, Texas. They then intermittently release monthly reports after the print runs have been completed, documenting the actual serial numbers used.

Collectors began to get excited in early 2015 when the $1 Series of 2013 New York star notes printed in Washington, DC began to appear in circulation with serial numbers that weren’t listed in the published BEP production records. Responding to a Freedom of Information Act request in December 2015, the BEP admitted that serial number runs authorised for use by the Washington plant and printed in November and December of 2014 had been inadvertently omitted from their reports.

It wasn’t until the BEP’s June and July 2015 production records were released that the implications of the cock-up became apparent. Some (but not all) of the improperly documented serial numbers authorised for Washington had been unintentionally re-issued for use by the Fort Worth, Texas plant to print additional New York star notes. In total, the ‘overlapping’ serial numbers resulted in 6,650,000 pairs of notes having matching numbers.

The ’Project 2013B’ website linked above is a remarkable endeavour which potentially enables collectors with a singleton note from one or other of the plants to find its partner with a matching serial number and hugely increase the value for the pair. So, as things stand, the pair that you have should have a substantial value because there hasn’t yet been much ‘matching’.

But, here’s the rub. As I see it, the more matches that are achieved, the more the price will drop and there are an awful lot of duplicate serials out there which are yet to be paired up. My take would be that selling prices will progressively drop steeply as more matches are made, and so too will the value of pairs which might have been purchased at high prices in the ‘early days’. It sounds like you should attempt to sell as swiftly as possible, playing up the current ‘rarity’. Ebay, with a high reserve, might be as good a place as any.

Incidentally, since the ’discovery’ of these paired notes, there has been an issue with the likes of companies such as Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®). Up until July last year they had refused to acknowledge these notes as “errors” and would only grade them as “duplicated serial numbers”. Under continued protest from someone who had a matching pair and with support from Dr. Frederick Bart (author of “United States Paper Money Errors”) PMG, at least, ultimately relented. Dr. Bart went on record in part with: “I endorse these as ‘Production Errors’ and believe they should be classified as Production Errors with Duplicated Serial Numbers. I intend to identify these as such, in the 5th Edition of United States Paper Money Errors.”
I agree about more pairs being found in the future.
However, as time goes on,
many more potential matches may never be realized due to the short circulation life of US paper currency.
To date, only 11 pairs have been identified.

Thank you for your reply!

Best,

Scott

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about more pairs being found in the future.
However, as time goes on,
many more potential matches may never be realized due to the short circulation life of US paper currency.
To date, only 11 pairs have been identified.

Thank you for your reply!

Best,

Scott

Sure, but would you rather sell with a banner of "less than a dozen known" or "less than 100 known"... or worse still "less than 1,000 known" for example. As I said, more than six and a half million pairs were printed.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, but would you rather sell with a banner of "less than a dozen known" or "less than 100 known"... or worse still "less than 1,000 known" for example. As I said, more than six and a half million pairs were printed.
You are absolutely correct in your statement.
I would rather sell now than wait until more pairs are found. :thumbsup:

I'm certain that if they were graded, they would realize a higher price at sale.
However, I'm not familiar with the process of submission grading.
Could anyone provide details of what's involved and the time wait and cost?

Thanks to all whom have replied!

Scott

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely correct in your statement.
I would rather sell now than wait until more pairs are found. :thumbsup:

I'm certain that if they were graded, they would realize a higher price at sale.
However, I'm not familiar with the process of submission grading.
Could anyone provide details of what's involved and the time wait and cost?

Thanks to all whom have replied!

Scott

It's not something I've ever done and, in any case, I'm in the UK. Nevertheless, PMG's terms are at the links below (one of several possibilities, but perhaps the most recognised among collectors):

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I just submitted two bills into the database from my own star note stash.
Really?
2013 B star note pairs?
Or singles?

I posted all of my single potentials and came up with a match!
Good Luck!

Scott

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I disagree, as time goes on it will become rarer and rarer to find matched pairs as the $1 bill has a very short circulation period (on average 6 years) before they're destroyed. So it's likely most matched pairs have already lost their mates even now.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, as time goes on it will become rarer and rarer to find matched pairs as the $1 bill has a very short circulation period (on average 6 years) before they're destroyed. So it's likely most matched pairs have already lost their mates even now.

Possibly, but these were star notes carrying a small collector premium anyway. They were being disproportionately taken out of circulation in good condition by collectors before it became apparent that there had also been a duplication of serial numbers across the two printing locations.

Maybe the value will stabilise at a level that still gives a nice profit for those lucky enough to find them but it's unlkely it will be at the $25,000 dollar level being bandied around for a presumption that no more than a dozen or so will be tracked down. I wouldn't want to be one of the earlier purchasers at that kind of pricing. Currently it's a seller's market but each new pair found will erode that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:

Update of the 2013B star notes.
Heritage Auctions wants to feature the notes in their upcoming Auction.
I was told that they have never auctioned a pair.
They said that they would submit the notes to PMG for grading and authentication.
Pre-auction estimate--$4000-$5000.
Maybe more.....
Their cut?
7.5%.
Not bad.......
Should I?

Stay tuned!

Best Wishes,

Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through negotiations with the Director of Consignments at Heritage Auctions,
I will sell the pair in their upcoming Auction as a "Featured" item!
When Heritage sends them off to PMG for grading,
I requested an unique label, identifying this pair,
specifically stated by PMG on their registry, since this is only the 12th pair ever found.
And, the unique label that I requested?
Stay tuned.....

I will continue to post all updates of this thread.

Let the bidding begin!

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the info above. I went through all my star notes and I happen to have 1 2013 series B star note so I will register it in hopes of locating the other one :occasion14:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've packaged them up according to instructions and materials sent by Heritage.
I will take it to Fed-Ex on Monday.

Then, we wait.....

100_1176.JPG

100_1177.JPG

100_1178.JPG

Best,

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions