Matched 2013 B Serial Number Star Notes

SnoopyDoo7669

Greenie
Dec 21, 2022
Las Vegas Nevada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Scott,
I let Susan know your generous offer and she said she will be contacting you.

We kept getting interrupted and I didnā€™t get to ask her, her unofficial guess, I had hoped to ask her Sunday, but I didnā€™t see her there Sunday, she must have left Saturday night.

The show was very crowded, they said the best crowd since Covid started. I literally went ā€œhoarseā€ from talking so much, answering questions about my exhibit. It was a lot of fun.

The biggest surprise was a gentleman came up and introduced himself as ā€œTonyā€ from TN, and he wanted to show me something, he carefully unpacked a pair of these notes, but not just any pair, it was my pair that I sold on StacksBowers in August 2021, and then it was re-sold by that owner on eBay in early 2022.
He came all the way to the show to see me and for us to get a picture of us together with that pair.

The magazine/catalog on the display case, was in my exhibit, and it was of that pair when it was being advertised before the auction. I took it out and gave it to Tony, I said they need to be together.

What a great gentleman, we ended up going to dinner that night, and he went home the next day.

F02322E2-9C7E-48E5-AA2F-9DB590150EF4.jpeg

Iā€™m so excited to see your pair go to auction live and watch it grow!!!

Take care,
Craig

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You, Sir,
Are one in a million!

I'm proud to know you.

When Susan contacts me, I'll help her gain a Charter Membership!
Perhaps I can convince her to have Heritage Auctions be a Sponsor here at Treasurenet.....

Be Well, Brother!

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s correct, the numbers should not be duplicated even when the notes are printed at different plants. But this was an administrative cock-up by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing (BEP). The BEP authorises particular serial number runs for exclusive use by one or other of its two printing plants in Washington DC or Forth Worth, Texas. They then intermittently release monthly reports after the print runs have been completed, documenting the actual serial numbers used.

Collectors began to get excited in early 2015 when the $1 Series of 2013 New York star notes printed in Washington, DC began to appear in circulation with serial numbers that werenā€™t listed in the published BEP production records. Responding to a Freedom of Information Act request in December 2015, the BEP admitted that serial number runs authorised for use by the Washington plant and printed in November and December of 2014 had been inadvertently omitted from their reports.

It wasnā€™t until the BEPā€™s June and July 2015 production records were released that the implications of the cock-up became apparent. Some (but not all) of the improperly documented serial numbers authorised for Washington had been unintentionally re-issued for use by the Fort Worth, Texas plant to print additional New York star notes. In total, the ā€˜overlappingā€™ serial numbers resulted in 6,650,000 pairs of notes having matching numbers.

The ā€™Project 2013Bā€™ website linked above is a remarkable endeavour which potentially enables collectors with a singleton note from one or other of the plants to find its partner with a matching serial number and hugely increase the value for the pair. So, as things stand, the pair that you have should have a substantial value because there hasnā€™t yet been much ā€˜matchingā€™.

But, hereā€™s the rub. As I see it, the more matches that are achieved, the more the price will drop and there are an awful lot of duplicate serials out there which are yet to be paired up. My take would be that selling prices will progressively drop steeply as more matches are made, and so too will the value of pairs which might have been purchased at high prices in the ā€˜early daysā€™. It sounds like you should attempt to sell as swiftly as possible, playing up the current ā€˜rarityā€™. Ebay, with a high reserve, might be as good a place as any.

Incidentally, since the ā€™discoveryā€™ of these paired notes, there has been an issue with the likes of companies such as Paper Money GuarantyĀ® (PMGĀ®). Up until July last year they had refused to acknowledge these notes as ā€œerrorsā€ and would only grade them as ā€œduplicated serial numbersā€. Under continued protest from someone who had a matching pair and with support from Dr. Frederick Bart (author of ā€œUnited States Paper Money Errorsā€) PMG, at least, ultimately relented. Dr. Bart went on record in part with: ā€œI endorse these as ā€˜Production Errorsā€™ and believe they should be classified as Production Errors with Duplicated Serial Numbers. I intend to identify these as such, in the 5th Edition of United States Paper Money Errors.ā€
GREAT POST 1!!

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread