South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find myself watching any treasure/outdoor adventure show in the evenings to unwind. Discovery, Nat Geo, A&E, etc. Lately I’ve been interested in the amazing discoveries Albert Lin finds using his LIDAR drones. The LIDAR strips away the jungle canopy to unveil lost Mayan cities.

I had looked into online LIDAR maps before for my county, but could only find Topo quality ones that you could not zoom in and see any real details. So I looked into buying a LIDAR drone, but they are crazy expensive, like Deus money...

I did some more online searching last week and found a link from Penn State with highly detailed LIDAR maps, including Allegheny County and Philadelphia.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572355918.021221.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572355930.667323.jpg

Met a buddy to see if we could find this old road cut in the park woods and find the cellar hole at the end. We swung our way to where the road should be, lots of marshy ground (the worst) and tons of briars, but finally found the remnants of a cut limestone block foundation. About 25% of this area was swingable and we started finding some old coins and relics. Nothing amazing, but some oldies and keepers.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356368.478452.jpg
1824 Large Cent in the road right before the cellar.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356659.863417.jpg
Municipal Police whistle

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356695.701679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356706.200360.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356716.450557.jpg
Uncas ring from early 1900’s.

Surprised to find a CW Eagle Button (I believe), you never know what will pop out.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356882.080249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356895.413693.jpg

Here is the handful.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1572356779.572926.jpg

The LIDAR link is a fun new tool to use along with other mapping links to better select new sites for exploration.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 28

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you post a link to the LIDAR maps? Are Washington and maybe Crawford county available?

Thanks

Roy

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you post a link to the LIDAR maps? Are Washington and maybe Crawford county available?

Thanks

Roy

I did not see Crawford or Washington County. Looks like they just did LIDAR in the highest population areas. www.pasda.psu.edu is the website. Some very useful map overlay links.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that gentlemen is how it's done!

Using every tool in the box to get the job done!

Great post!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice selection of finds. Your research paid off. Congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Thad. A buddy of mine used LIDAR to locate a site in Somerset county that gave up about a dozen Spanish silvers including an 8 reale, plus dozens of coppers and buttons. He traced a road bed leading to the place using LIDAR and saw a spring gutter on the LIDAR as well. Walked into the woods and saw a huge daffodil bed and a large pile of rocks for what must have been a late 18th century tavern.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes LIDAR is useful, we have used it as a research tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Thad. A buddy of mine used LIDAR to locate a site in Somerset county that gave up about a dozen Spanish silvers including an 8 reale, plus dozens of coppers and buttons. He traced a road bed leading to the place using LIDAR and saw a spring gutter on the LIDAR as well. Walked into the woods and saw a huge daffodil bed and a large pile of rocks for what must have been a late 18th century tavern.

Thx Steve. Stripping away the trees provides a bunch of interesting clues. You can easily see what parts of the land have been leveled/worked, old road beds are visible in overgrown forests. Challenge is determining a cellar hole from another anomaly.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to have to learn how to download/view LiDar maps. :)
Anyone have a website for "Lidar viewing for Dummies"

-Roy

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds and use of the newer technology.

Looks like an extremely beneficial tool to use.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work with that kind of data on a daily basis at our engineering/surveying company...it's a very useful tool.

If your state doesn't have publicly available lidar maps you can get it to work yourself with a little research. There are some free GIS software available which you can use to manipulate raw lidar data.

Here's an example of something I produced with publicly available data...you can see a few foundations that are pretty readily apparent...https://imgur.com/6q2AdGK

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find myself watching any treasure/outdoor adventure show in the evenings to unwind. Discovery, Nat Geo, A&E, etc. Lately I’ve been interested in the amazing discoveries Albert Lin finds using his LIDAR drones. The LIDAR strips away the jungle canopy to unveil lost Mayan cities.

I had looked into online LIDAR maps before for my county, but could only find Topo quality ones that you could not zoom in and see any real details. So I looked into buying a LIDAR drone, but they are crazy expensive, like Deus money...

I did some more online searching last week and found a link from Penn State with highly detailed LIDAR maps, including Allegheny County and Philadelphia.

View attachment 1766471
View attachment 1766472

Met a buddy to see if we could find this old road cut in the park woods and find the cellar hole at the end. We swung our way to where the road should be, lots of marshy ground (the worst) and tons of briars, but finally found the remnants of a cut limestone block foundation. About 25% of this area was swingable and we started finding some old coins and relics. Nothing amazing, but some oldies and keepers.

View attachment 1766473
1824 Large Cent in the road right before the cellar.

View attachment 1766476
Municipal Police whistle

View attachment 1766477
View attachment 1766478
View attachment 1766479
Uncas ring from early 1900’s.

Surprised to find a CW Eagle Button (I believe), you never know what will pop out.
View attachment 1766481
View attachment 1766482

Here is the handful.
View attachment 1766480

The LIDAR link is a fun new tool to use along with other mapping links to better select new sites for exploration.

Good luck out there!
Nice going great finds :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread