MD kit suggestions?

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
You can get a cloth nail apron from Lowes for about $1 that will do the the job. If you decide you want something fancier later, no big loss and it's a good thing to have a nail apron around the house anyway. Lowes also has a pretty good digging tool that a lot of MD'rs use for about $14 called the "planter's buddy" I blieve. I made a digger out of an old riding lawnmover blade and a piece of water pipe with my little welding machine after seeing a design I liked on this forum.

OP
OP
DZNZ

DZNZ

May 14, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Silver UMax
hsjrev said:
You can get a cloth nail apron from Lowes for about $1 that will do the the job. If you decide you want something fancier later, no big loss and it's a good thing to have a nail apron around the house anyway. Lowes also has a pretty good digging tool that a lot of MD'rs use for about $14 called the "planter's buddy" I blieve. I made a digger out of an old riding lawnmover blade and a piece of water pipe with my little welding machine after seeing a design I liked on this forum.

Sweet. Thanks a million. I love "do it yourself" resolutions.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's my kit I use:
Sand scoop
Shovels both big and small, small for parks and similar. Big being for relic hunting or when lazy. :thumbsup:
A bag for putting dirt on
Carpenters belt
Pinpointer
A few coils of different sizes.
A soft leather bag for valuables/rare coins/rings etc

Thats pretty much it

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
nothing fancy here. simple is good. nail apron with 2 pockets. junk and good. small bottle of water for good coins, buttons etc. i carry a small cooler with drink, food,cell, which i leave in a "take a break" area. a hat and sun glasses if needed. travel lite and you will be more comfy. i use an old butcher knife. no shovel needed yet 'cause i am not a relic hunter. maybe some day. ido wear a sturdy rubber glove on my left hand because it helps from minor cuts and scratches from buried stuff. and a few germs. tetanus and whatever. enjoy. best of luck. bill

OP
OP
DZNZ

DZNZ

May 14, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Silver UMax
Once again, members have come through. Thanks for sharing information!!!!! :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
depends on where you plan to hunt, but for me i bring a small trowel, water, granola or something similar, a pocket knife, pepper spray (for dogs and dopey humans), a handkerchief ( to use as a ground cloth) a few band aids. that's about it for me. i only use a pouch in the winter time. in the summer its just too hot. then i wear cargo pants with lots of pockets.

PArebel

Oct 26, 2007
Clearfield County, PA
Hi,
I use a canteen belt with a surplus ammo pouch to hold my finds. Bought a hammer holder that fits over the belt for my folding shovel and attached a bayonet scabbard with plastic ties. The bayonet I use when in the woods relichunting. If detecting a playground or park I leave the bayonet behind and carry a screwdriver. I am going to get another pouch to hold a water bottle. Please do not laugh, but when detecting in the woods I also wear a vest with lots of pockets. Can carry extra batteries, a bottle of water,and any other items I think important. I have a lousy sense of direction so carry a compass also. Was visiting friends in VA and while they were at work I did some detecting in the woods behing the house. Took a reading on the road in front and went on my detecting trip. After an hour of looking at the ground and not paying attention to the direction I was going I looked around and thought "where am I and where is the house?" Took the reading off the compass and it took me back.
Another thought for those detecting in woods. I bought a small folding saw. It cuts right through roots. Much easier than hitting the roots with the edge of the shovel to cut them.
And like the others have said, a cloth for putting dirt on.
Hope this has helped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread