Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see them here in California. For the most part, I think they do a fairly poor job on heavy items like coins. I've found a ring following right behind one. It was a junker but still a ring.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They get the big plastic, but I have seen them go over aluminum cans 6" deep and miss them. Have found gold behind one.

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do little to effect our hobby. They a lucky to pick up a flip flop let alone coins or jewelry. I spoke with someone who runs one here on the delaware shore and he said he would often find bills in the hopper but not much else. Don't be discouraged, i like a raked beach because I can follow my grid easier.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Follow them to their turnaround points and search that for chains and such.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the beach and the machine used. We have some beach in SoCal that just use a rake. I don't mind those at all. Other areas that have sophisticated sifting machines can leave the place barren down 6 inches or so.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depends on the beach and the machine used. We have some beach in SoCal that just use a rake. I don't mind those at all. Other areas that have sophisticated sifting machines can leave the place barren down 6 inches or so.

Cudamark, I always enjoy your posts. You're right: There are various brands and model-types of beach cleaner machines. Most all of the are just rake conveyor types, that only get up McDonalds bags, bottles, cans, discarded towels, etc... But won't get coins and rings . At BEST a tong might catch a necklace chain.

But there is a certain type made, that has an agitating hopper box (like a trommel ?) where I've heard that the hole sizes are adjustable. And if the operator elects to make the hole sizes set to be smallest screen openings, it is indeed small enough to catch coins and rings. HOWEVER, it make the machine have to go very slow, and uses a lot more horsepower, fuel consumption, and coverage time to do. Because the machine is having to process much more material and force it through the holes.

That latter machine is, fortunately, used by very few of those places that have machines. And even then, very few that would set it on the time/energy consuming setting of the smallest hole/opening sizes. But I've heard of a city in So. CA, who has that. And their drivers relish the job, and PURPOSEFULLY set it the most refined setting . Even if it means volunteer over-time to finish their shift. Fortunately, that's just one city and just one stretch. That was long ago I heard that from a So. CA hunter, so not even sure if it's current info. .

But the machines don't do wet sand. And they don't get close to fixed objects like poles, walls, etc... And they only go a few inches deep at best. Hence even at a place where they employ the latter machine, they won't get it all. And it would only affect current dry sand losses, and have no bearing on beach storm erosion wet sand hunting.

OP
OP
cyperpc

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
Thanks good to know, back to the beach..............

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never seen one used on the 30 miles of beaches between Atlantic City and Cape May NJ, not between the low and high tide line. Or dry sand for that matter.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
Cudamark, I always enjoy your posts. You're right: There are various brands and model-types of beach cleaner machines. Most all of the are just rake conveyor types, that only get up McDonalds bags, bottles, cans, discarded towels, etc... But won't get coins and rings . At BEST a tong might catch a necklace chain.

But there is a certain type made, that has an agitating hopper box (like a trommel ?) where I've heard that the hole sizes are adjustable. And if the operator elects to make the hole sizes set to be smallest screen openings, it is indeed small enough to catch coins and rings. HOWEVER, it make the machine have to go very slow, and uses a lot more horsepower, fuel consumption, and coverage time to do. Because the machine is having to process much more material and force it through the holes.

That latter machine is, fortunately, used by very few of those places that have machines. And even then, very few that would set it on the time/energy consuming setting of the smallest hole/opening sizes. But I've heard of a city in So. CA, who has that. And their drivers relish the job, and PURPOSEFULLY set it the most refined setting . Even if it means volunteer over-time to finish their shift. Fortunately, that's just one city and just one stretch. That was long ago I heard that from a So. CA hunter, so not even sure if it's current info. .

But the machines don't do wet sand. And they don't get close to fixed objects like poles, walls, etc... And they only go a few inches deep at best. Hence even at a place where they employ the latter machine, they won't get it all. And it would only affect current dry sand losses, and have no bearing on beach storm erosion wet sand hunting.

Tom, I am going to speak about Santa Monica Beach. I normally get there around 5:30 am. The guys driving the machines normally start at around 6. They normally drive the rake, however, they do have a machine that CLEANS THE BEACH. There is one driver that I have reported for being dangerous. When he see a guy detecting he will cut him off several times before leaving you alone. The time I reported him, he went into the wet sand, picked up a woman's blanket, purse and food for the day. She was in the water at the time. Never did find out if the woman got her stuff or not. If you ever go there be careful. Watch the drivers. GFP

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Tom, I am going to speak about Santa Monica Beach. I normally get there around 5:30 am. The guys driving the machines normally start at around 6. They normally drive the rake, however, they do have a machine that CLEANS THE BEACH. There is one driver that I have reported for being dangerous. When he see a guy detecting he will cut him off several times before leaving you alone. The time I reported him, he went into the wet sand, picked up a woman's blanket, purse and food for the day. She was in the water at the time. Never did find out if the woman got her stuff or not. If you ever go there be careful. Watch the drivers. GFP

Get the guy on camera and file charges with the police if he intentionally targets you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread