Megalodon Shark Tooth Diving in NC

charlestondiving

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2007
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Capt Tom Collins of www.spearitcharters.com finds some great Meg Teeth. He stays booked steady so you have to make reservations pretty far in advance. I've seen pics of PILES of meg teeth they have found in a day. From what he tells me many of the divers that do well team up and use scooters.

I did this video for him that shows what meg teeth look like on dives before being picked up. Sorry about the music, I only had a acdc cd handy when i made it. :)

Megalodon teeth dive video can be viewed here
http://www.furniturehoo.com/pics/teeth.wmv

4theMoney

Nov 1, 2008
RGecy said:
Well, I have to say, thats an incredible picture. There must be at least a hundred teeth there between 5-6"+.

Are those all from one trip?

Robert
Yes, that was from a trip last spring where we stayed anchored up for 2 days. I have gone out with Tom also and he is a great guy, but it seems like we always got blown out. We started doing some 3 day trips on the Flying Fish last year and decided to just take the boat down in the spring.
I am even amazed at what I bring home sometimes.....I think there was another bucket of them somewhere ;D

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
ScubaFinder said:
It looks like SpearIt is collecting teeth in the ocean, but it also looked like the ones pulled from rivers were better preserved, is this the case?

Jason

Way old thread - written when these fishes were still young and frisky... The ocean sites are kinda twofold. Cape Fear Divers (under yet another ownership with a new website and name, I think lacking the 's') runs a lot of trips out to "meg ledge." As I understand it, there is a small dropoff where the teeth are eroding from the clay matrix. Up in this area the teeth you find are more likely to be in terrific condition, but there are fewer of them. The last owner (I think) pulled a 6 7/8 99.9% perfect tooth out of a slot a couple of years ago, or at least so he related to us in the store with a couple of other Tnettters there who had been on that trip and 'concurred.' But as I say, fewer of them, so they tend to drop people on the sandy areas a couple of hundred feet or so farther offshore. Here you find teeth that have worked loose over some (long) period of time and have concentrated in various places. Many more of them, but as they have been out of the protective layer for much longer they may be more beaten up-but not always. The cool thing is that when you find one on the surface, fanning and digging often reveals more: I pulled half a dozen from one hole although nothing huge or perfect. Guy, who often runs the Cape Fear boat, always seems to come back up with about a dozen good teeth, some almost as big as his tattoo! And a dozen from those sites is impressive as, at 115' or so, that's the haul from about 20 minutes searching!

The Cooper seems to be "the classic" site; I did a couple of days there last year with Off The Wall. Bad vis. Worse current. But tons of stuff ranging from 40 million YO teeth and fossils to 40 YO house bricks, with colonial and native artifacts and just about everything in-between. The haul from 2 days there included a fossil rodent jaw, horse tooth, whale earbone, pieces of "black" glass, native to modern pottery, coke and budweiser bottles, and a fair number of teeth. And alligators, which while "harmless" kept me a little edgy.

But as was mentioned earlier (much earlier :D ) Robert's Beaufort sites are the best. Close to zero vis. Appalling currents. Way cool sound effects ( :wink: ). Teeth. And good company! Anytime you want to go, Robert...

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
I dont know of anyone in NC doing this but if you get down to Punta Gorda, FL then look up Fossil Babe. She takes people diving out at a reef she knows and people always comes back with Megaladon teeth. I believe she is now THE for most expert in sharks teeth. She is a friend of my father and took me out while I was down there and for the short time we were out I was certainly NOT disappointed. She deives NC to and just about everywhere there are sharks teeth. Look her up and give her a call and I bet she can get you pointed the right direction.

Ian

Apr 23, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hey guys...bringing up this thread in hopes that one of you guys see it and can respond! I know it's a bit old!!!

just joined yesterday after surfing the web for meg teeth diving, and stumbled across this thread. I've become pretty interested in meg teeth hunting, and am looking for someone to meet up with anywhere on the east coast to go meg hunting (as I have no idea where to go). I went once last year in Venice, didn't have any luck, but after reading your threads it seems like there's lots of opportunity in the outer banks and beufort.

Look forward to any comments!!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Wow, definitely pulling up an old thread! The dive shop here in Beaufort runs trips weekly. Contact Jason at Sea Island Divers. (843) 575-3562

Check out their Facebook Page - Sea Island Divers

Good luck and tell him I sent you! Let me know if you make it down.

Robert

Apr 23, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Robert....thanks for the info, I will definitely schedule a trip, hopefully some time in June. Do you dive anymore? Is there a 'better' time to go? I've heard the water in that area is not very clear...I'm sure it's hit or miss. Are you looking more in the ocean, or mouth of the rivers there? I've read online that guys dive in the murky rivers, but come up with some incredibly preserved teeth!

Most of the charters around the outer banks require you to be advanced PADI due to the depth. Unfortunately for me, I've only got about a dozen dives under my belt! I'll let you know when I come down...

Hangingfor8-what charter did you go out with in Venice?

kobiwon007

Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tooth!!! I'm coming down in a couple of weeks after June 21 to the Summerville area after trailing down the North Carolina coastal beaches. Can you refer me to someone who knows or do you know of any good hunting areas for teeth both inland or on the beach? I'm in it for the joy of collecting and would really like to find one big tooth on my own. I'm not familiar to the area as this is my first trip. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Great tooth!!! I'm coming down in a couple of weeks after June 21 to the Summerville area after trailing down the North Carolina coastal beaches. Can you refer me to someone who knows or do you know of any good hunting areas for teeth both inland or on the beach? I'm in it for the joy of collecting and would really like to find one big tooth on my own. I'm not familiar to the area as this is my first trip. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a good website with info for you. Be aware of the restrictions, etc., that are involved in hunting these teeth.

Hunt Fossil Shark Teeth in Summerville South Carolina

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread