Metal Bust of George Washington in Profile

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in an antique store in Poland of all places. You’d be way more likely to find a bust of Stalin here than our first president! I’ve seen similar ones that are screwed into a wood backing but nothing on a base like this. Any ideas on origins or value? I’m thinking with this made in Italy stick on the base it’s a souvenir made somewhere between 1930-1990 but could it be older?

Really curious how this could have ended up in Poland!

Thanks!

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image8.jpeg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'Fine Marble Base Made in Italy' sticker is a generic export label and doesn't necessarily mean that's where the cameo bust was made. Prepared bases have been heavily exported for manufacturers all over the place to add their own cast metal items as assembly pieces. You'll see such stickers on the bases for non-Italian figurines, lamps, candelabra, paperweights, bon-bon dishes and a whole host of other things. I've even seen the sticker on a souvenir Elvis ashtray from Gracelands!

I don't know where this might have been made, but likely America and more probably vintage than antique. I assume the metalwork has no maker mark or signature and that in itself is a pointer for a relatively low value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the response, the info on the base and the assessment! I agree without a stamp or signature probably nothing valuable, but interesting to know it probably came from the US. It may be one of two bookends. Either way, looks great on my desk! Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread