Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your cool place to explore! Can't wait to see all the pictures! Take as many as you can, especially of any carvings, drawings and tools you see. Good luck!

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to tell you, but they don't call it spelunking any more!
They call it caving and you are a caver.
I always liked being a spelunker and thought it was a term of endearment.
But, I suppose the majority thought it was silly so they changed the term.
Typing from the cave state.
Songdog

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning guys.... Thanks for the comments yesterday and last night. Maybeeee I gave a "wrong" impression of this cave. When I said it was obviously used by native Americans that part is RIGHT ON. But there are no Indian drawing and/or etching from them that I've seen in all my trips back there. The symbol(s) I've mentioned were scratched into the vast amount of mud pilings on either side of the streambed within and VERY faded due to the high humidity. The cave enterence is about 15ft. wide x 6.5ft. high. As you go back the ceiling lowers slowly. After about 30-40 yds. your forced to "duck walk" for the next 40-50 yds. and the cave starts to narrow. Right after you make the 1st turn and outside light goes away is where I saw 1st etching. It's "high" up in the mud mound and manmade (faded). And as I stated earlier yesterday... if someone like me just wanted to scratch their name and date into the mud to announce "I WAS HERE" there's much easier places in which to do this (not where it is!). It's what's behind or beneath this 1st etched area I'd like to MD and see over (hard to do).

But folks as far as any historical Indian art if it was there it's gone now due to the wet environment. I'll try and get some "good" pics to share. But what's really cool is that you can just "SEE" where a family lived, slept and cleaned food at one time. The horrible historic floods here in 2010 caused an overhead landslide above cave and pushed 3-4 large oak trees over the cave enterence and downward. This covered up some of the bedrock the streambed ran within. Mother nature is cleaning it up slowly though... but I may have to help. Dinosaur bones were all around. One was huge with a hip and leg bone together. It's under that debris field now. Later.... gotta fix breakfast and go exploring... Brad

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no cave dwellers in South Jersey reason why ... no caves , hope ya find a saber tooth tiger , seriously , sounds exciting , good luck 8-)

Last edited:

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what you find Limitool, I wish you luck and tons of enjoyment on your adventure.
Sounds like an insanely good time to me!

HH,
Chris

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you serious Brad? If there are fossilized dinosaur bones there, I would think they are worthy of an excavation and it sounds like you have a pretty major discovery on your hands. How deep are the dinosaur bones now?

Dinosaur bones were all around. One was huge with a hip and leg bone together. It's under that debris field now. Later.... gotta fix breakfast and go exploring... Brad

systemrobot

Jun 25, 2012
If you want the critters gone, take a large container ( 1/4 gallon ) of half black pepper, and half crushed red pepper, and spread it wherever you don't want critters.

systemrobot

Jun 25, 2012
One more thing, you guys that would spread chemicals out into nature should probably just stay home. When I see or hear that I assume you also don't use your turn signal, stiff the pizza guy, and litter.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow would love to go along on something like this (well...40 years ago maybe). All I know about caves is a couple friends many years ago got trapped in a cave by rising water for several days. They lived with no harm done. Can't wait for the pictures!!!!

Last edited:

ZealousBash

Greenie
May 31, 2013
Kingwood, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,

I gotta say, this is a super exciting thread. It sounds like an amazing adventure! I can't help getting excited about the etchings up high with the good hiding spot behind it. At least that what it sounds like to me. Maybe someone marked the spot to return for a cache later? My imagination is flying! No matter what, it sounds like an awesome time! I can't wait to read an update!

Ashley

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Folks… Here's an update on the cave "out back". I finally went alone on Sat. morning but did have someone at home who knew where the cave was. My phone did work at the mouth of cave also and I checked in. It was very hard carrying my "mirror on a stick", MD, and bag with flashlights, MD pin pointer, camera and small shovel. I can drive the ATV part way following the ridge top. But then I have to park ATV and hike downward through some VERY THICK underbrush to the ridges bottom. Then follow a rocky bottom for a ways and then hike uphill through some ROUGH landscape. This rough landscape was always present but got a lot worse after our 2010 spring floods. All the trees above the cave entrance on the above hillside slide forward due to a large landslide during 2010 floods and made the trip very hard. After I got back there I was exhausted!!! Even my black lab struggled.

After I got back there alone packing all the equipment I realized this was a 2 person job. Too explore behind and between the opening along the cave walls with the mirrored stick and flashlight was going to require 2 people or a lot better plan. I did use the MD around the entrance but had a hard time ground balancing the machine within the cave (no hard hits). So…. I then decided to grab digital camera and head back around 1st turn to try and capture old etched letters/numbers on mud wall. After getting back there that didn't work out either. I was trying to get my digital camera out of 2 zip locked bags and "discovered" my hands were ALL MUDDY after crawling up there. So I quit this endeavor and decided to go get a "throw away" waterproof camera again and come back later. So, I packed up and started to hike back out. I left my mirrored stick at cave entrance for future use.

So I came home and got some old photos out I took using 4 "throw away" waterproof cameras before the floods and posted some for your review. These photos were NOT taken in the same mindset as I have now. These photos were only meant to "see" what I saw the 1st time. I was NOT in a cache, treasure or artifact mode then. Only later did I realize or think about rocks piled up, marking on the walls and small opening crudely concealed. But… I believe winter or early spring is the time to try this again in this "new mode" or just take camera along with somebody else during summer without MD.

Cave #1. Mouth of cave in 2010 before our historic floods. The WHOLE landscape above the cave entrance landslide downward. The cave entrance is now still accessible but it makes it very hard to go up the normal way. Coming in from the top is very steep and if carrying something even harder. Now in full summer it is VERY HARD to access this opening due to vegetation .
Cave #2. This is just inside (25-30 yds. in) looking back at entrance. Not in this photo… but can see where a fire must have been used because of the soot on the ceiling just inside entrance.
Cave #3. This is just before the 1st turn of the cave about 40-50 yds. in. There are dirt/mud/rock walls on both sides which your can't look over. But the area behind them extend back another 2-4 ft. or more at some places.
Cave #4. This is right after the 1st turn about 70-80 yds. in.
Cave #5. This is just a little ways further after completing the 1st turn.

Attachments

• Cave #01.jpg
    Cave #01.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 735
  • Cave #02.jpg
    Cave #02.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 657
  • Cave #03.jpg
    Cave #03.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 593
  • Cave #04.jpg
    Cave #04.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 660
  • Cave #05.jpg
    Cave #05.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 638
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody know possibly what Cave photo #8 is?

Cave #6. This photo is where I found the 1st letters/numbers just after I passed through the small opening you see in front of me. But it appears that "someone" started a fire due to the charcoal/black debris on the mud floor just before you crawl through.
More Cave Pictures

Cave #7. Further into the cave.
Cave #8. This photo is a indentation on the ceiling with small pebbles around it….? The "circle" is about 12" across and maybe 2-3" deep. Does anyone have ANY IDEA what this could be????
Cave #9. Further back in cave showing one of the many opening which you CANNOT see over. This one goes back 3-4' to the cave wall. It's hard to see but the cave wall can be seen further back after crack. I set army shovel just over it on left.
Cave #10. Further back in cave… lost track of distance. Maybe 35-40 minutes deep.

Attachments

• Cave #06.jpg
    Cave #06.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 634
  • Cave #07.jpg
    Cave #07.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 527
  • Cave #08.jpg
    Cave #08.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 655
  • Cave #09.jpg
    Cave #09.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 542
  • Cave #10.jpg
    Cave #10.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok folks.... if anyone knows what some of the items are I asked about PLEASE chime in (Cave pic #13).

Cave #11. This is the end of the "front end" of cave. This is what I coined the "crack". It is VERY narrow and has water flowing out of it. It extends this way for about 12-15' before opening up into a much larger cavern where we just left.
Cave #12. Well…. this is me crawling through the "crack" for the 1st time. Can't do it now (TO FAT). My back scraped the top hard while crawling through. Had to hold head sideways at spots to breath while squeezing through due to the water.
Cave #13. These black stones were sparse in front 1/2 of cave but very numerous after squeezing through into the 2nd half. Anybody know what they are…. and there NOT coal.
Cave #14. This is me looking over this neat looking stalagmite hanging from the ceiling. Notice that after it was formed that the cave floor then again had water flowing and eroded right out from beneath it. It was very cool to see in person. We were about 1hr.+ into cave and the very cold from the spring water. It was starting to take a toll on us. It took us a long time to warm up after exiting cave (2-3 hrs.).

Attachments

• Cave #11.jpg
    Cave #11.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 535
  • cave #12.jpg
    cave #12.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 609
  • Cave #13.jpg
    Cave #13.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 578
  • Cave #14.jpg
    Cave #14.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 746

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Limitool,

I have no idea as to the indentation in the ceiling in pic #8, probably just a natural formation but better close-up pics might help! As far as the black stones are concerned, you might want to pick a few up and take close-up pics and post them here. Also, check them with your metal detector to see if they contain any metals. They appear to be colored by a mixture of Iron and maybe some other minerals that have reacted together. Even Silver turns a dark bluish to dark purples and even almost black depending upon what compounds it comes in contact with and it naturally turns some of these colors once exposed to the air. It has long been known or myth that the Native American Indians had Silver Mines in portions of Middle Tennessee! A close-up pic might help in determining how they formed (i.e. sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous).

Frank

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Frank... Thanks for the information. I was really disappointed when I hiked all the way there again carrying everything and it didn't work out. I should have known...? I did think that attaching a swiveled mirror on the end of a 5ft. stick and then shining a light on it would work back there to "see over and in" where I can't look. But that didn't work out either. If I EVER get back into the cave deep enough to grab some of those rocks again I most certainly will. When I go back again I'll take some disposal cameras and try and get some close-up pictures of some of the areas I'd like to investigate further. My USB port is out on computer but I can scan'em in like I did above. When I parked the ATV on the end of the ridge top last Sat. I did turn on the MD to just scan around a large oak tree. There was nothing around except trees and brush. I dug up an old shotgun head stamp (again). It was about 3" down and it said "Western No. 12 New Chief" with small diamond shapes around the center. Then for some reason the machine said "overload" and I moved it and when I came back to the spot it barely made a sound.

I'm very new to using a MD and the main reason I even started this thread was to get advise on anything I needed to do different within a caves surroundings. Ground balancing the normal way didn't work... Hold at waist level push enter... put to ground and push enter...? I believe I'm going to leave MD at home next time I explore the cave and just capture pictures of the "things" I'd like to investigate further and show you folks. I got to think of a better way to light up a area where I can't see and then use the mirrored stick. Maybe a lantern light with a small rope and just throw it back/over till it lands right and then look...? I did find what looks like a fossilized piece of spinal column about 6-7" long and a fossilized hip bone though. Been busy with wife last 3 days due to her major back surgery so I won't be going back for a few weeks anyway. But thanks everyone for the encouragement... every one of you. Wish I could take all of you that have my sense of adventure. But it is a job getting there and more so coming back.... Brad

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Frank... Thanks for the information. I was really disappointed when I hiked all the way there again carrying everything and it didn't work out. I should have known...? I did think that attaching a swiveled mirror on the end of a 5ft. stick and then shining a light on it would work back there to "see over and in" where I can't look. But that didn't work out either. If I EVER get back into the cave deep enough to grab some of those rocks again I most certainly will. When I go back again I'll take some disposal cameras and try and get some close-up pictures of some of the areas I'd like to investigate further. My USB port is out on computer but I can scan'em in like I did above. When I parked the ATV on the end of the ridge top last Sat. I did turn on the MD to just scan around a large oak tree. There was nothing around except trees and brush. I dug up an old shotgun head stamp (again). It was about 3" down and it said "Western No. 12 New Chief" with small diamond shapes around the center. Then for some reason the machine said "overload" and I moved it and when I came back to the spot it barely made a sound.

I'm very new to using a MD and the main reason I even started this thread was to get advise on anything I needed to do different within a caves surroundings. Ground balancing the normal way didn't work... Hold at waist level push enter... put to ground and push enter...? I believe I'm going to leave MD at home next time I explore the cave and just capture pictures of the "things" I'd like to investigate further and show you folks. I got to think of a better way to light up a area where I can't see and then use the mirrored stick. Maybe a lantern light with a small rope and just throw it back/over till it lands right and then look...? I did find what looks like a fossilized piece of spinal column about 6-7" long and a fossilized hip bone though. Been busy with wife last 3 days due to her major back surgery so I won't be going back for a few weeks anyway. But thanks everyone for the encouragement... every one of you. Wish I could take all of you that have my sense of adventure. But it is a job getting there and more so coming back.... Brad

Limitool,

Sorry for all of the discouraging problems you have had in searching the cave! You need to pick up a Metal Detector which compensates for or totally cancels out Ground conditions to work such an area. I own several and have owned lots of White's Metal Detectors and many are not up to the task of searching such areas. This may be due to high mineralization in the ground and/or water or voids (more caverns). You either passed the Metal Detector's coil across a large and deep void (some of the White's Metal Detectors, especially the older ones are great for finding voids in the ground or rock!) that threw it's Ground Balancing software into a tizzy or passed it over a very large and dense metal object that threw it's metal sensing software in a tizzy. Hopefully, your' Metal Detector was not damaged in any way and will work fine the next time out. I once found a void in the ground in an extrance way (Archway) into an old Civil War Fort with a White's 2000-D Metal Detector. The void was large, about 6 feet long and as wide as the Archway (about 4 feet). I notified the Security Guard to it and after contacting the State Authorities (it was a State owned Park), they finally investigated about 3 months later and found a trap door under the dirt of the Archway and beneath was a room with 3 cases of Brown Bess Muskets perfectly preserved as they were still in some sort of packing grease, along with Gun Powder and Flints. They kept the story totally hush-hush as I believe that they gifted the rifles to politicians but I found this out from the Security Guard that I originally told about the void to. I did not receive anything not even a mention anywhere. Anyways, back to appropriate metal detectors, I have several Minelab Metal detectors that are perfectly suited to search such a location and maybe you should look for one on Craigslist in your area.

I believe that if I were you, I would hold onto every fossilized bone or fossil that is found and once you are finished with MD'ing the cave and area, have them checked out and identified by a local University's Archaeology Department. You never know, they may be worth a fortune!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank.... Wow, I would have been SICK if I found something like that and didn't get "credit" and/or a thing out of it. What a find guy...! I'm proud for you myself. I think I couldn't get my MD balanced because the floor was solid rock or covered with 2-3" of dirt/mud. I believe when I try again I need to stay away from the "ground" and try using it further back in where I know a lot of dirt/mud is deeper and is a ways off the cave floor. The MD "seems" to be ok though. I really believe if there is anything hidden of value (manmade) it will be in the 1st 60-80 yds on either side of cave center and maybe just hidden or dropped behind where I can't see. I can't wait to photo the small cavern area just off the entrance to show you folks. Anybody who has any sense of adventure would be itching to get in there to just "see" what's in there. But those damn bobcat tracks keep me in check and always have. (I have a humorous story as to why this is... I still get geeked up and nervous just thinking about what happened.) If anyone is interested... I'll tell. I'll try and get back within a few weeks with just a camera and friend and show you folks what I'm talking about. Later..... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread