Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,a sage word of advise from one who's been taken before.NEVER mention anything like this to any OFFICIAL/regular bunch because before you know it they'll put up a gate or find some way to keep you out. There's an excellent chance of a cache of coins the rebs or union guys stole hidden in there!Check the floor very slowly/carefully and get an led headlamp to free up your hands.Don't neglect the back side of the mounds as it's the logical place to put the goods I'd climb around the back side in a second to check it out! Be careful and use a rope so you can get back out if you slip. Best of luck Tom Sawyer! show us the goods please!....

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do go back and need some help let me know. I'm in Nashville and would love a little adventure.

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Not sure if anyone answered you yet, but GPS won't work in the cave because you have to have visible satellites for the unit to triangulate from... Most have trouble if tall buildings obstruct their "view" of the sky. Maybe an anchored rope would be useful? Paracord strength and tie into the main line with any offshoots you check out? Just an idea. Sounds like an amazingly interesting place! Best of luck.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
The GPS will work in the cave it just takes a while. Just sit in the cave and keep trying. In about 2 weeks of trying the beam from the satellite will burn a hole through the rock to get to your GPS. Good luck! Lol!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ce550av8r... thanks for the advise... I did assume it wouldn't work. I guess the only other way for me to plot the cave would be compass readings taken maybe every 10 ft. and then plot onto a topo map? That should work... wouldn't it? Their are no off shoots from the main cave. The only other "choice" is a small cavern right by main entrance that appears to go back a ways. My post below will explain why I haven't "dove" into it yet. I can get in by crawling on my stomach even now being larger (fatter) than I used to be.

JeromeAz... your a walking breathing Einstein. But I highly advise just bringing your plastic bottles and packing out all fresh spring water you want. I'll point in the right direction. I'll let ya know when.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok fellow adventurers… I know I've mentioned that the only cavern outside of main cave is that just off the main entrance of this cave. And, I've told you all that the reason I haven't made a bee line for this area is because I've seen bobcat tracks going and coming from there before. Now I didn't notice these tracks until after I went 1.5 hrs. deep into cave for the 2nd time. The 2nd trip was to get pictures. It was just so inviting to "go back" and see what's back deeper into cave. I thought I'd squeeze into the upfront cavern later and explore… Here's why I REALLY hesitate now… I INSTANTLY developed some type of phobia on the 2nd trip. Some folks will call it common sense. But if I had that I wouldn't be going back there again now.

After my first venture up to "the crack" which is deep into the cave (see posted photos #11, #12) and squeezing through I knew I had to get some cameras and come back. After squeezing through crack the cave really changes. I then went another 15-20 minutes deeper on this 1st trip then stopped and crawled back out. I went back home all excited. I was telling my wife and 5 kids all about it… over & over!!! Only 1 person seemed to have an interest… my 13 year old daughter. So, WE made plans for our assault to photograph this cave. Next weekend back we go. We take 5-6 35mm waterproof disposal cameras with us in ziplock bags. Our plan was to leave each camera right where was when filled. We'd pick them up on the way back out. We each had a camera and were taking shots of each other along the way. Deeper and deeper we go until we're up to "the crack". We both sat there resting in the spring water amazed and having a BLAST! Now, the hard & scary part… getting through this partly water filled 15 foot long crack to the "other side". I go 1st and daughter follows (photo #15). It's really tight for me but she squeezes right through with 2-3" to spare. The photo shows her after she just got through the tightest part. And further back we go. I'm leading the way and we're still snapping shots and dropping of cameras. The cave is getting lower and lower as we go back but we're still belly crawling forward in the cold spring water. In a few minutes we're back where I was last week. We press on crawling further with me leading for about 10 more minutes and I then see an artesian well about 20yds ahead and a dry cave floor behind it. I'm all excited and begin telling daughter about what I see coming ahead.

Suddenly EVERYTHING changes… INSTANTLY. My daughter says… "Dad I hear something". So I say "what"? She replies… "Listen"! So I stop moving and splashing in the water and "listen". Yep… sure enough .. I HEAR "SOMETHING" also!! Rightfully so, she's asking me "What is it?" At the same time I'm thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS IT" also. We both hear something moving in the water behind us! It was way back where we had just come from. You can't mistake this sound. Again, "What is it"… I didn't have a clue. Now, I remind you of our confined environment at this moment… cave is about 30-32" high now and about 3-4' wide with about 2" of spring water. She starts to panic outwardly as if I wasn't internally. I tell her "please be very quiet… please" and she does. I wanted to hear if the splashing of water was coming at us or going the other way. Either way sucked because we had to go back that way. Sure enough it's GETTING LOUDER!!! Now my daughter knows this also by the look on her face. With my now racing mind I'm trying to understand what the hell was coming at us… let alone what am I going to do about it? I could not imagine what critter would be this deep inside a cave let alone not afraid (I was). I thought maybe we "trapped" an animal by passing it and this was its way out. But I couldn't make sense of what animal and/or where we could of possibly "passed it up". But "it" was definitely coming at us and getting louder… no doubt. So, knowing this I tell her to crawl over me and keep crawling and she does. Now after I get turned around I'm between her and whatever was coming. While she's crawling deeper into cave I YELL back to announce our present to "it". So what happens then? Whatever it was picks up the pace and is now charging hard in the water. Now I'm laying on my stomach a high beam flashlight pointed back where we came. There is a hard left hand turn about 20yds ahead of light beam and the splashing is real loud now and I'm just waiting for something to come around that corner. And I'm not afraid to admit that I was scared shitless… absolutely petrified!!! And sure enough around the corner it comes and all I can see is a large set of eyes running straight at me!!!! And folks, I kid you not… I swear… I didn't realize it was our household dog Bandit until it was about 10 feet from me. And this was after I took the spare flashlight and threw at him about 20 feet out from me. Can any of you even imagine being well over an hour deep inside a cave, lying on your stomach in cold spring water, with a scared child behind you and an animal is coming at you with no fear at all. I couldn't even bring my knees under me at that point. It was the most helpless feeling I have EVER HAD. My daughter was laughing… I wasn't at all. All cameras were filled but we continued back further anyway. We finally decided to quit, headed out while picking up all cameras. Bandit had a blast! I now have a phobia… what is it.. I don't know. But I have it. Facing a "wild" animal on my stomach in a confined area gives me nightmares. I just can't believe this 30lb dog tracked us down, entered cave, went into total darkness, squeezed through that crack and then scared the hell out us. In all it was about 60-45 seconds of terror and I'm still not over it. Guess you'd have to have been there to get my total point.

I still want to know what's in that cavern in the front of cave but for some reason I just got to KNOW there's no bobcat/coyote in there 1st. I'll have an instant heart attack next time before my heads even chewed off… But I am in the process of making plans for a detailed search soon…. So many of you folks are an inspiration to me. Brad

Attachments

• Cave #11.jpg
    Cave #11.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 243
  • cave #12.jpg
    cave #12.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 280
  • Cave #15.jpg
    Cave #15.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 320

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Brad, how are you at multi-tasking? OK this is what you do. Get a bright light, a spotlight or a flood light in one hand and a stick, a broom handle or a rake handle. Attach a video camera to the end with good tape and drill a hole in the other end put some strong string through it. Put some on the light too that way if you let go for what ever reason you won't lose them unless of course you let go of the string too. Now start the video camera, then shine the light over the wall where you want to see then the video camera and record the whole area. Pull it back out are review it. If you see your treasure, Awesome! If you don't that's means MDing or digging. Either way like President Regan said Brad! Tear down that wall! Oh the other hand if you review the video and you see the bobcat, Run Like Hell!!!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I liked your awesome story earlier. Made me laugh. Good thing you didn't have a gun! One dead dog or a bullet bouncing off the walls.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. JeromeAz... I am so glad I got you doing all this serious thinking for me lately (Einstein)... I got a phobia and I get zero symphony from you. I'll get over it (not). But in all seriousness... I'm 58 now and I cannot REMEMBER at time in my life where I was as scared as I was RIGHT THEN!!! It's gotta be close to being buried alive (so says I). I'm not scared yet of going into tight places at all... but entering them and then suddenly having to deal with a potential oncoming danger... THATS DIFFERENT!!! I never expected AT ALL to deal with that... but now I think about it every time I look at that other easy to enter cavern RIGHT AT THE ENTERANCE that needs to be gone into. I'm planning a new assault now... and I'll be sure to run it by you before I do. Thanks... Brad

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some websites I found about mapping caves, one even has some free software for it as well.

WinKarst Cave Mapping Software

Surveying and Mapping Caves | Suite101

Cave Surveying & Mapping

I like the suggestion of the camera on a pole to check out any areas before you totally commit and enter. One idea would be to use some sort of extendable painters pole. It can collapse down to a smaller size, extend out further than a regular tool handle and is made of lightweight aluminum or fiberglass. May cost ya $20 or so if you don't already have one. I would also consider taking a firearm with you. I know it's wet and damp but a pistol could come in handy if a cornered or territorial animal is in there or comes calling. Shot gun would be best but hard to maneuver in there I'm sure. Maybe a Taurus Judge (.45/.410) or even a .45/.410 2 shot derringer. Just make sure to keep the dog at home! Good luck man! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Not a problem! Glad I can help! Yeah you got me by 2 years but at 56 I'd still stand side by side with you carrying a big stick and a trash can lid to help you fight off that big bad bobcat. Lol!

Clay

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some websites I found about mapping caves, one even has some free software for it as well.

WinKarst Cave Mapping Software

Surveying and Mapping Caves | Suite101

Cave Surveying & Mapping

I like the suggestion of the camera on a pole to check out any areas before you totally commit and enter. One idea would be to use some sort of extendable painters pole. It can collapse down to a smaller size, extend out further than a regular tool handle and is made of lightweight aluminum or fiberglass. May cost ya $20 or so if you don't already have one. I would also consider taking a firearm with you. I know it's wet and damp but a pistol could come in handy if a cornered or territorial animal is in there or comes calling. Shot gun would be best but hard to maneuver in there I'm sure. Maybe a Taurus Judge (.45/.410) or even a .45/.410 2 shot derringer. Just make sure to keep the dog at home! Good luck man! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Good morning all... Thanks DocBeav for the info. I'll check it out. I totally understand (and agree) that a camera on a pole would be great. I do have the collapsible pole. But here's the problem with that (and why I opted for a adjustable mirror on the end). I believe that since the mound and/or humps I'd like to search behind are so close to the ceiling I can't raise the back end of the "stick" high enough to "look around". The cave area where this starts is around 1st corner and the ceiling really starts to come on down. It's probably (guessing now) about 3 feet high maybe 4 feet. And that's if you stand in the middle of the spring water. The cave is probably 10-12 feet wide at this point. The spring bed is probably 3-4 feet wide and then both sides slant upward toward ceiling and the area now becomes VERY tight in which to try and "look over". I know there're equipment "out there" that would make this task simple... but I can't afford to purchase it just to see. I got to improvise here. The camera would be great to look over... especially if you could hold another screen and see what the camera sees in real time. But, this is a wet/dirty/tight hostile environment for any equipment let alone electronic equipment. Thats kind of why I went low tech with the adjustable mirrored stick and a high beam flashlight. The problem with the 1st try was getting the beam to bounce off the mirror at just the right angle so as to not blind the view on mirror. In other words you have to get the light AND mirror at just the right angle. It's too hard to do in that environment. Today... (and I'm open to suggestions) I think I'm going to buy a regular large 9 volt light (2)... attach a small cord around handle and try and drop/push/throw/slide over mounds until the light lands right. Then turn the other lights off and then stick mirror over and take a look. Now all I got to do is slightly move the stick. But hey folks.... I'm open to suggestions. But they got to be low tech. If 99.9% of you folks had this cave close to your home you'd have to know what's under the rocks up front, what's over the mud mounds, what's in the off-shoot cavern up front (hopefully no critters), or who piled rocks in some mud hole openings (very unnatural). I thought about taking a weapon with me but I have never actually seen any critters which could cause harm with cave. All I've ever seen is a few bats, cave crickets and a couple of light colored lizards way back in. I got the weapons covered starting with BB guns all the way to 300 mags with everything in between. I thought about taking a 22 pistol with "bird shot" shells... but that's not very serious if needed but it is light and small. Another member here and I are setting up soon to go back and get pictures and possibly a video of the environment and then "flag" areas as we go along we'd like to further investigate. We don't yet know exactly when... but we'll post and share for sure. Can I post a video here??? I'm not really a techno guy...

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a problem! Glad I can help! Yeah you got me by 2 years but at 56 I'd still stand side by side with you carrying a big stick and a trash can lid to help you fight off that big bad bobcat. Lol!

Clay

Now, while I appreciate your bravo... I don't want you "side by side" with me helping with my bobcat phobia problem. Besides, you'd be on your own instantly!!! I'd want you to go head first into that cavern and look around. After 30 seconds you can come back out... I'll take from there. Thanks, Brad

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post......I want to see the treasure you find. My son had a friend (both military men) show him a cave in Kentucky that was on his aunt's homesite. Near a stream, and they could see Indian sign.
And, as he told me, there was a ledge up above where he could reach, and something on the ledge. He never went back, as the aunt didn't want anyone on the site. I still wonder what the devil was on that ledge. That is what keeps us in the hills/caves, swinging our machines. We are adventurers. Thanks for a great story. Would love to share one like it, from Korea, but any cave here has snakes.
I don't like snakes. 'nuff said.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post......I want to see the treasure you find. My son had a friend (both military men) show him a cave in Kentucky that was on his aunt's homesite. Near a stream, and they could see Indian sign.
And, as he told me, there was a ledge up above where he could reach, and something on the ledge. He never went back, as the aunt didn't want anyone on the site. I still wonder what the devil was on that ledge. That is what keeps us in the hills/caves, swinging our machines. We are adventurers. Thanks for a great story. Would love to share one like it, from Korea, but any cave here has snakes.
I don't like snakes. 'nuff said.

"That is what keeps us in the hills/caves, swinging our machines. We are adventurers." Absolutely correct hikeinmts!!!! You want to see the treasure...??? You'll be 1st right after me. You'll probably hear me all the way to Korea if we do find something of value. Odds are against us... but like all of us adventurers know... we just gotta know. The best part is being able to share the adventure with everyone. But I learned my lesson last Saturday... it's a 2 man job. No snake problem here... I mean in cave. It's too damp and cold. But we DO have snakes buddy.

debrown122

Apr 15, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I have followed this for awhile and I am so stoked for you! So here are my suggestions:

1. Purchase a Gopro or Ion video camera. Both are waterproof and provide excellent quality and can be found for $250.

2. Purchase several light sticks. Tie a rope on them and throw them into the space. You can now use the mirror or camera to view the area, plus pull the light sticks out.

3. Take dry/hiking food for 2 days

4. Great motivation to drop some pounds, getting in is easy but a sharp rock can easily trap you from getting out.

5. Keep us posted! I love reading this stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread