Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have followed this for awhile and I am so stoked for you! So here are my suggestions:

1. Purchase a Gopro or Ion video camera. Both are waterproof and provide excellent quality and can be found for $250.
2. Purchase several light sticks. Tie a rope on them and throw them into the space. You can now use the mirror or camera to view the area, plus pull the light sticks out.
3. Take dry/hiking food for 2 days
4. Great motivation to drop some pounds, getting in is easy but a sharp rock can easily trap you from getting out.
5. Keep us posted! I love reading this stuff

re #1. I'll look into this...
re#2. GREAT IDEA... very good. Where do I purchase? Wal-Mart, internet, sporting goods...??
re#3. NOT... coming home for supper (that's the plan).
re#4. Good idea... but too late. Not going anyplace I haven't been before in 1st. 100yds. The only difference this time is I'm going to look in, behind, around, and over spots that I cannot see when just hiking in spring bed. And there are lots of them. I'm also going to look very close at any marking I see this time and photograph. I'm past the "sight seeing mode"... but that's hard to get over also. It's just so cool back there!
re#5. Mr. debrown122... I most certainly will. I look forward to it. I can honestly say when I joined this site and mentioned this cave and what I have done and was planning to do, I never knew so many people would be as interested in this as I AM!!!! I thank you all. Right now I'm kind of grounded until my wife recovers some from this back surgery. GREAT IDEA with light sticks. PURCHASE WHERE? ... Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ok everybody (call me stupid).... Concerning the glow sticks. Is the color of the glow stick the color of the light you'll get (probably)? And if so.... what color does anyone think would be best other than ordering white for using back in a darken black cave? I honestly can't seem to get my head wrapped around what would be best... BUT I'M GOING TO ORDER SOON. Does anybody know if the "Military grade" are brighter than any others. Being in a total dark environment it won't take much light to LIGHT IT UP.... right folks?

Last edited:

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see pic behind the mud walls, but depending on what you find just be careful what you post. Once it's out there you can't take it back. I would take your dog with you,he will search the area for any animals. I can't imagine what was going through your head. As with the bobcat if it smells that you have been there and has kitten it has moved them. Good luck

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Only 30 seconds? I could do that but it might take a little longer if I have to wrestle with him. Hope you don't mind the wait.

So nothing technical huh. Well I guess a borescope is out of the question. Dynamites not Hi-tech is it? Lol!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't wait to see pic behind the mud walls, but depending on what you find just be careful what you post. Once it's out there you can't take it back. I would take your dog with you,he will search the area for any animals. I can't imagine what was going through your head. As with the bobcat if it smells that you have been there and has kitten it has moved them. Good luck

Well I did just that last Saturday... I took my faithful black lab "Mamma Dog" (don't ask). And when we got to the cave she was running around all over in the spring water. This dog and I play "stick" all the time. I throw it and she'll fetch ALL DAY LONG. So while back there I go outside cave... grab a stick and throw it towards the cavern I'd like to explore. Nope.... she just looked at me. Not good. And I truly doubt if a critter is in there... But, damn I don't want to go in their first right now. The picture I posted earlier of me squeezing through that narrow crack deep into the cave is 10 times worse then entering this cavern right up front. I was just "saving" it because it was easy. But after I developed my instant "critter phobia" on deep dive #2 getting pictures I hesitate. But rest assured... I AM GOING TO ENTER VERY SOON be the outcome good or bad!!!!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,a sage word of advise from one who's been taken before.NEVER mention anything like this to any OFFICIAL/regular bunch because before you know it they'll put up a gate or find some way to keep you out. There's an excellent chance of a cache of coins the rebs or union guys stole hidden in there!Check the floor very slowly/carefully and get an led headlamp to free up your hands.Don't neglect the back side of the mounds as it's the logical place to put the goods I'd climb around the back side in a second to check it out! Be careful and use a rope so you can get back out if you slip. Best of luck Tom Sawyer! show us the goods please!....

I have no doubt your right... I should have investigated this cave in a more detailed mode a LONG TIME AGO. It's been right under my nose for a long time. I never thought in this mode until lately when I got my MD and started to research history. Don't ask why. As far as the mounds... they'll be NO CLIMBING around. It's all about looking over. Their very shallow but close to the roof with open areas behind as your knelling in the streambed. But still.... there could be "something"... stay tuned... Brad

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,

As was recommended and discussed, the Military Glow Sticks appear to be the best solution for illumination not just behind the walls but also for navigating the cave at times! Most last for 12 hours and will save on battery use for flashlights, lanterns and any other equipment which may be needed for stronger, pinpoint illumination of any finds such as artwork or signposts or smaller holes with some length to them. As far as the color is concerned, White would probably be the best for navigating and may be just right for illuminating anything behind the walls. However, most of the other colors would probably work for illumination of anything behind the walls, since anything not natural would stand out like a sore thumb! Also, I found some good deals on them on eBay and there are lots of colors available.

I am still intrigued by the hole or indentation in the ceiling and as we discussed, it could just be natural but it could be a signpost marker.

Also, in remembering one of the earlier posts stating that there could be some of the Native American Indian dead buried there, I highly doubt that that is the case! Native Indians, especially the tribes in North America would never bury their dead where they live, sleep and eat. Their' dead are considered sacred to them and to live, sleep and eat amongst their' burial location, would be sacrificial to them! The only time that something like this would happen, is if they were trapped in the cave and had no other way for burial and honoring their' dead.

Frank

P.S. Sorry that I haven't posted anything for awhile to this Thread but you know the situation with my middle sister!

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
While your out shopping pick up some pepper spray for bears. If it'll stop a bear I'm sure it'll stop a bobcat. It'll help with that phobia of yours when it comes time to hit that cavern.

That mark on the ceiling, that is a signpost. Next stop. The Twilight Zone! Or it could be the initials of the guy on his Journey to the Center of the Earth!

I'm just sayin

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While your out shopping pick up some pepper spray for bears. If it'll stop a bear I'm sure it'll stop a bobcat. It'll help with that phobia of yours when it comes time to hit that cavern.

That mark on the ceiling, that is a signpost. Next stop. The Twilight Zone! Or it could be the initials of the guy on his Journey to the Center of the Earth!

I'm just sayin

I love that movie and watch it quite often being that I am into Gem and Gold Prospecting! By the way, I called dibs on the Mountain Guide long before (corrected) Brendan Frazier's character and his' nephew did!:tongue3:

Frank

Last edited:

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
We had several caves on our farm property which sat over the War Eagle River in NW Arkansas. This property was supposedly the site of a civil war campground after the battle of Pea Ridge, as well as the route the James Gang followed when being chased into Missouri.

So my neighbor, who is a cattle rancher, suggested we take a metal detector and explore the largest cave that sat above the civil war campsite on the south side of the river.

Sounds like a good idea to me, so we suit up, and head down to the river. From there, we climb the rocks up about 70 feet to the mouth of the cave. The view from up there is great, overlooking the river and the field where supposedly troops camped out during the civil war.

Anyway, the cave entrance is about 10 feet tall, and it's easy to walk in withing having to bend over or crawl. The cave surface is rock on the walls and ceilings, with mud on the floor. In the mud, we see fresh hoof tracks that look like those of a calf. My neighbor thinks maybe one of his calves got lost, maybe washed up here during the recent floods. So he is even more excited about exploring the cave.

We head into the cave, and forty feet in, we haven't found any metal - just mud, and more calf tracks. So we keep going. About sixty feet in, there's a real strong smell of a wild animal. And we can hear snorting, like something is rooting around deep into the cave.

And that's when we realize that what we thought were calf tracks, were actually wild hog tracks. And the sound we hear is likely baby pigs at the back of the cave.

We decide that it probably isn't a good idea to go further and take the chance that the mother hog will come in the front of the cave, and we'll be trapped between her and her babies. So we quickly gather up our gear and head out.

The lesson we learned is if you see fresh animal tracks going into a cave, you should probably stay out.

The best finds on the property were in the old barn, where a previous owner who thought the world was going to end, had stored his survival stash.

Bill

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I saw in an earlier post on this thread was a mention of dinosaur bones if there are bones in the area here in California we have what is called Valley Fever that originates where a lot of fossils are found (Central Valley area of California) it is a spore that is in the air you are breathing it will attach to your lungs and make your life miserable so stay safe and maybe wear some dust masks while exploring.Some have died due to exposure to Valley Fever although they were Foreigners to the area so hadn't built up an immunity. Have fun just stay safe I miss my younger days of crazy cave and mine hunts.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something I saw in an earlier post on this thread was a mention of dinosaur bones if there are bones in the area here in California we have what is called Valley Fever that originates where a lot of fossils are found (Central Valley area of California) it is a spore that is in the air you are breathing it will attach to your lungs and make your life miserable so stay safe and maybe wear some dust masks while exploring.Some have died due to exposure to Valley Fever although they were Foreigners to the area so hadn't built up an immunity. Have fun just stay safe I miss my younger days of crazy cave and mine hunts.

Toooooo late for me... I've been back to this cave 15-20 times (WAY BACK 3 times........way B A C K). Yea, I've found some dino bones inside / outside of cave. I'm not a "Foreigner" but I most certainly hope I have built up an immunity by now.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had several caves on our farm property which sat over the War Eagle River in NW Arkansas. This property was supposedly the site of a civil war campground after the battle of Pea Ridge, as well as the route the James Gang followed when being chased into Missouri.

So my neighbor, who is a cattle rancher, suggested we take a metal detector and explore the largest cave that sat above the civil war campsite on the south side of the river.

Sounds like a good idea to me, so we suit up, and head down to the river. From there, we climb the rocks up about 70 feet to the mouth of the cave. The view from up there is great, overlooking the river and the field where supposedly troops camped out during the civil war.

Anyway, the cave entrance is about 10 feet tall, and it's easy to walk in withing having to bend over or crawl. The cave surface is rock on the walls and ceilings, with mud on the floor. In the mud, we see fresh hoof tracks that look like those of a calf. My neighbor thinks maybe one of his calves got lost, maybe washed up here during the recent floods. So he is even more excited about exploring the cave.

We head into the cave, and forty feet in, we haven't found any metal - just mud, and more calf tracks. So we keep going. About sixty feet in, there's a real strong smell of a wild animal. And we can hear snorting, like something is rooting around deep into the cave.

And that's when we realize that what we thought were calf tracks, were actually wild hog tracks. And the sound we hear is likely baby pigs at the back of the cave.

We decide that it probably isn't a good idea to go further and take the chance that the mother hog will come in the front of the cave, and we'll be trapped between her and her babies. So we quickly gather up our gear and head out.

The lesson we learned is if you see fresh animal tracks going into a cave, you should probably stay out.

The best finds on the property were in the old barn, where a previous owner who thought the world was going to end, had stored his survival stash.

Bill

Bill.......... I can totally understand your concern, intelligence and decision based upon the evidence you presented. You did the RIGHT thing. Now... I believe in the same breath... that I know the difference between a hoof print and a bobcat print (I DO KNOW folks!) Hoof prints from wild pigs are a major concern especially with young going into a cave (Bill did right thing). AND I BELIEVE.... Bobcat tracks going/coming into a cavern off the main entrance of a cave are equally of a concern (call me stupid). I believe Bill is smarter than I.... because I am going BACK.... later.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody.... VERY BUSY DAY for me. Helping wife with back surgery recovery. (Cave is kind of in a holding pattern). BUT.... Another new member to this site (as I) are going to get together soon and investigate this cave in detail for a minimum of the first 100+ yds. Mr. Huntsman53 (Frank) and I have been planning "what to do" and how to do it for a few days. Between the 2 of us we hope to film and document a lot of the surroundings. I put some of the pictures today from years ago on a Power Point program and sent to Frank and will attempt to post tonight or tomorrow if their not too large (I'm not a techo guy at all). These photo's were taken then in the "sight seeing mode" years ago. Now, as I go through them I see MANY places that need to be investigated. The photos / video that Frank and I take soon will be to show what we believe needs to be investigated. I'll try and post the photo's I have in this Power Point format ... I'd like for anybody with any knowledge of what they see to chime in... PLEASE... If I can't I'll just post the photo's as "usual". My USB post is out. I have to scan everything in. Thanks... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread