Metal detecting and scanning beach yeilds a (cleaned?) Crossbow arrow shaft

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh...Those Jesuits!

My pre 1650 Jesuit harpoon points these where given to the indians by the jesuit priests here in ontario View attachment 1657762

Sacambaya-treasure Jesuits.jpg

Stay tuned...for new developments!

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pre 1650 Jesuit harpoon points these where given to the indians by the jesuit priests here in ontario View attachment 1657762
This is more plausible then the Romans.. The top one does look similar. J.Steeles theory (From her book The Oak Island Mystery, Solved) is that there was a naval store operation on OI run and controlled by the Jesuits...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
French Jesuits were "operating" in my area of NY in 1615. Poor as church mice (IMHO "Jesuit Treasure" is a hoax) but definitely bringing trade goods in to coax the locals to attend mass and convert.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Absolutely! Just went down and looked at my 9 foot antique frog gigger. My points are still sharp, but the center spike is the same 1/4 inch with barb on it. Keep in mind mine hasn't been rolling in stone surf for a couple of decades, and it's for frogs, not lobster, fish, eel, etc. I rolled my eyes so hard tonight at the Roman bit, that I think I dislodged something.

Whatever you can poke is what you can gigg.... Should be a bumper sticker.

I have used one on just about everything that can crawl in the tidal waters, never cared much for frogs. They gullible masses will believe whatever they are fed in hi-def. Its a conspiracy to brainwash and pacify, but this is a whole other topic.

Back to Freemasons gigging for frogs....

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that guy who says the spike is a 2000 yr old Roman Pilum totally lost all credibility. I mean what a completely ridiculous conclusion. Even the most optimistic characters in the room couldn't even bring themselves to fake belief or excitement. I guess its time to delete that guys phone number...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Yeah that guy who says the spike is a 2000 yr old Roman Pilum totally lost all credibility. I mean what a completely ridiculous conclusion. Even the most optimistic characters in the room couldn't even bring themselves to fake belief or excitement. I guess its time to delete that guys phone number...

I haven't seen this episode, but I'd be surprised if anyone on the crew believed that this artifact was Roman, including the person that identified it as such. A quick search on the internet would have provided a likelier answer. The fine folks on this forum have convinced me that it's from a gig of some sort, and I didn't even know what in the blue hell a gig was until I read this thread.

Now put yourselves in the shoes of the people making this television show. Do you tell the audience that this is part of a frog gig that was commonly used in that part of the world, or do you have an "expert" excitedly proclaim that it's a Roman spear, which was never used in that part of the world? Which path produces the sort of television that's more interesting and exciting for the average viewer? Your job is to convince them to watch your show, not to educate them, and not to be honest.

I don't blame the people that make these TV showers for being dishonest, just as I don't blame the producers of movies, novels, and other works of fiction for saying misleading and/or downright false things. They're entertainers that are selling a product that the public wants. I blame the dupes that believe everything that they see on TV - i.e., the public - for not thinking critically and eating this garbage up.

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen this episode, but I'd be surprised if anyone on the crew believed that this artifact was Roman, including the person that identified it as such. A quick search on the internet would have provided a likelier answer. The fine folks on this forum have convinced me that it's from a gig of some sort, and I didn't even know what in the blue hell a gig was until I read this thread.

Now put yourselves in the shoes of the people making this television show. Do you tell the audience that this is part of a frog gig that was commonly used in that part of the world, or do you have an "expert" excitedly proclaim that it's a Roman spear, which was never used in that part of the world? Which path produces the sort of television that's more interesting and exciting for the average viewer? Your job is to convince them to watch your show, not to educate them, and not to be honest.

I don't blame the people that make these TV showers for being dishonest, just as I don't blame the producers of movies, novels, and other works of fiction for saying misleading and/or downright false things. They're entertainers that are selling a product that the public wants. I blame the dupes that believe everything that they see on TV - i.e., the public - for not thinking critically and eating this garbage up.

I think in the beginning they were really looking for something and the show was a little more serious/honest about everything. But afterwards they realized they had already struck gold with the television show and the circus show came to town. These guys may as well start wiping their behinds with wads of hundred dollar bills. They're blowing enormous amounts of cash left and right for nothing. But then again, clearly they're receiving a return on their investment from all the viewers. I just wish they'd get serious about actually locating and recovering real treasure. I guess it all depends on how long people can stay entertained by all the circus tricks.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I would like to believe this is a part of a crossbow, they really need to send the item off to an expert to determine what it is before I'll accept it as such.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First it was a Templar cross bolt, now a Roman spear. This keeps getting better and better.
Cant wait till they drain the cove they will find stuff from the Dinosaurs. Maybe T Rex dug the flood tunnels and hid some Pterodactyl eggs in the MP for a late night snack.
Not buying any of this but I do still watch for the entertainment factor.

...and, are WE forgetting the "Roman Sword"...? Yes, this is a REAL Reality Show....! :laughing7:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...and, are WE forgetting the "Roman Sword"...? Yes, this is a REAL Reality Show....! :laughing7:

Totally! The real deal, real, reality show. I wanted to clear that up. Hehe.

I still believe the real Roman sword was real. This cross will change history as well as all the other llocal trinkets they drop and find when they clear the cove and tear it up.

Biggest reveal will be the box drains, totally in tact with 700+year old coconut fibers on top. Jack will climb in and crawl right into the MP and come back out with the chalice in hand! Can't wait... epi29!!!

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Totally! The real deal, real, reality show. I wanted to clear that up. Hehe.

I still believe the real Roman sword was real. This cross will change history as well as all the other llocal trinkets they drop and find when they clear the cove and tear it up.

Biggest reveal will be the box drains, totally in tact with 700+year old coconut fibers on top. Jack will climb in and crawl right into the MP and come back out with the chalice in hand! Can't wait... epi29!!!
Not going to happen for more reasons than there is space to list them.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not want to beat a dead horse here, but.......for starters, the coconut fibers cannot be accurately dated by C14.

I would bet that they are that old. Just my two cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread