MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the warm weather getting ever so closer (hopefully), how do you guys fight the urge to swing and dig while fulfilling the responsibilities of bringing home a paycheck?

For me, after being unemployed for nearly two years, I landed a job as a substitute teacher and a firearms instructor at the local range, which was a shoe-in given my military experience. That being said, pretty much from daybreak until noon I usually am free, while still bringing home a decent amount of moolah.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new employment. While I am retired now, when I was working it was always a challenge to squeeze in hunting time, especially since the season is short here. Skipped many a dinner to get an after work hunt in, and was up at 5:15 am on weekends to water hunt. I went so far as to pay someone to cut my lawn just so I'd have more hunting time. Now I can hunt whenever I want, and the weather allows. Age has its perks.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us are retired……..but time is still hard to find…….as for me, it is summer here now (South America)……but there is no true cold weather for most of Ecuador either……..vaya con Dios

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your employment!
I used to take the detector with me so if I got out during lunch or off early I could detect.
I also used to detect the beach after work which was after dark a lot of the time, strapped a light on my wrist and MD'ing I went!

Neildo85

Feb 19, 2014
Southern ILL
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500 (inherited from grandpa)
Marksman(cheap gift from wife)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector stays in the trunk of my car should a chance to detect present itself. I take time after work, after asking the wife nicely that is, or go out on weekends. It is dangerous for me to take time during my lunch break to detect, because if I get sidetracked I could lose track of time. I got one of my friends into detecting and he was recently unemployed for a few months and had lots of time to hunt. During his "vacation" he found an 1845o dime!

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am self employed so if I want to go hunting I just take off a day.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Work is M-F 9 hours or so plus 1 1/2 hour ride each way so it's a long day. Still, I almost always stop on the way home for a short
dig on workdays. My wife encourages me so she's great and I make sure she knows it. I don't like to take lunches because they
disrupt my work, but when weathers good I'll take one now and then for a local dig. I've never been unemployed and I'm
not optimistic about retirement.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a concrete contractor. My favorite phone calls start with do you tear out sidewalks.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work overnights so 3-4 hours after work in the morning or get up at 3 ,grab a :coffee2: then go :thumbsup:

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daaaam you got the job I want..sidewalks and parking lots!!! I pass them here and there and haven't got the nerve to stop and ask to detect them..pretty sure they wont be that understanding if I ask to poke around the job site. any inside info u want to share??? a good way to ask..certain time of day they might not mind??

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WORK NIGHTS - HAVE BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE - SO I CAN GO OUT RIGHT FROM WORK
USED TO GET OUT AT 6AM - WAS GREAT WHEN I WANTED TO HIT WATER SPOTS - I'D GET IN AND OUT BEFORE LIFEGUARDS WOULD SHOW AT 9AM
FARM FIELDS WOULD BE GOOD HITTING AFTER SUNRISE TOO - GET IN AND OUT BEFORE SUN GETS TO HIGH AND HOT

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda glad I did not start this hobby until I retired, I can see where it could interfere with a job!! On the down side, I spent 25 years in construction, demoing buildings, and tearing out parking lots, sidewalks, and streets, sometimes a whole city block, for a big box stores. I have an awesome bottle collection, but sure wish I was detectin, back then!!............................I don't even want to think about>

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda glad I did not start this hobby until I retired, I can see where it could interfere with a job!! On the down side, I spent 25 years in construction, demoing buildings, and tearing out parking lots, sidewalks, and streets, sometimes a whole city block, for a big box stores. I have an awesome bottle collection, but sure wish I was detectin, back then!!............................I don't even want to think about>

I bet that collection is pretty cool.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have thinned it out some, to fund this new hobby!!, but I still have about 100 or so civil war era bottles, 3 piece molds, some Bitters, and older open pontil medicines.
I bet that collection is pretty cool.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thinned it out some, to fund this new hobby!!, but I still have about 100 or so civil war era bottles, 3 piece molds, some Bitters, and older open pontil medicines.

That"s great! I only have about 30 or so but nothing older than 1875. Someday I hope to dig some privy's,but right now,i'm enjoying detecting.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work has gotten in the way of many, no ALL, of my hobbies over the years...... so in order to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies, SCUBA diving, I got a job diving for a living. :O) As for my other hobbies I do them when I can, had to give up some and just moved on from others. No matter how you look at it work isn't all it's cracked up to be. Some people like to work.....??? Go figure. Me, I am fortune enough to have a job I love, though I still consider it work in all respects. So like most folks I enjoy my hobbies when I can.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread