Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting that! I already use the screw driver method but I will also start using the slit one, looks good to me!

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been doing it this way for years. Thanks for posting.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90s+kids+have+commonsense.+found+it+on+the+internet+and_22f093_4265458.jpg ......People, all anyone needs to do is....... 2011-07-29-use-common-sense.jpg ......no one needs to be taught how to probe or dig.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of a towel I highly recommend a piece of inner tube the dirt doesn't stick and it self forms into to a crease for ease of poring dirt back in the hole.I think I learned this from a TN post but it's great

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am careful about putting my divots back, and tamping them down. That is why, I believe, that I have only been confronted a couple of times. One of those was about two years ago.

A lady accosted me almost to the point of violence because I was digging in the park. She promptly went to the park office and complained. The assistant manager of parks & recreation came out, and over to me. No big deal lady! He can dig to China as long as he puts his divot back. In the mean time, the lady allows her dog to do his business, and doesn't pick it up even when asked to do so. She got a $10 for her lack of efforts.

This brings up an off-topic issue: What is more damaging—detecting and picking up trash objects, and throwing them away? Or all of the dog droppings that give left to step in?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the issue of folks getting upset when they see us mding may come down to a couple simple things
1)missunderstanding...they have no idea what we are up to and percieve our actions as self serving and damaging to the grounds
2)these are the same people who cant make it through the day without some kind of drama...even if they must create it themselves

I have found that #1 is easy to overcome most of the time with a smile and the patience to explain the benefits(show them your trash etc.)#2 types...there is no way to communicate with these sorry souls...I try to make encountering them fun for me.I ignore anything they say untill they approach..then I smile and speak complete jibberish,my own made up dialect,even offer my handshake.Puts them off their game and makes for some great entertainment.
hope this helps...cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread