Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will no longer be able to metal detect on MASS state beaches as of July 1, 2014 and if caught you will be fined!

A call to arms people!!!!! Get your pens ready there is a link to a petition to try and stop this .
CoilyGirl posted it in Metal Detecting: "Sign petition against stopping metal detecting"

Thank you CoilyGirl! I never heard read or saw this anywhere in the news!

Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out. All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

Why? What happened that caused this law to be passed? Evidently we have been portrayed in a bad light some where! Or the powers that be have lost their minds!!!!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What causes the a fuss. what are we up againts...some one didn't fill in there holes...or what..

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? A beach? Yeah right, filling in a hole or not on a beach (always fill in) But, in any event, shouldn't a tide take care of that, or rain anyway?
I don't know because I've never been there. Ah, maybe they think you might be endangering a turtle? (sorry, I couldn't resist...in light of NV)
It sounds more like they're wanting to control whatever they can. I can't wrap my brain around it. What do they suppose a MD might find?
Ah, the tide will bring in ancient relics and everyone knows we horde and never share our finds!
I'll continue to scratch my head on this! Oye!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop electing people who won't respect people's rights... Certain people believe in more laws others in less, vote for less...

In Florida beaches are owned by "the people" 95% of our beaches are open for detecting...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found out about it don't know why yet, but I'm guessing the powers that be snuck it in under the radar because that's the way they want it A state park I went to last year would only let me detect on the beach not in the woods because I may " dig up a relic 50 years old". We all know that would up set the Eco system, planets, & climate change!

The link CoilyGirl has in her post in the metal detecting forum may have the whys. I can't link to stuff, e-challenged.:BangHead:

There is a petition on the link that can be signed to present a protest to the law, 750 signatures are needed they have 500 something. TH guy who is doing the protest is there also.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this just on state park beaches or all public beaches?

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop electing people who won't respect people's rights... Certain people believe in more laws others in less, vote for less...

In Florida beaches are owned by "the people" 95% of our beaches are open for detecting...

I'm fighting an up hill battle here, only one of a few in this state that believe we should govern ourselves and not be dictated to by our "public servants"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone actually confirmed this? Is there someplace this has been published on a State website or law journal?

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD LUCK PEOPLE AND REMEMBER..... Uncle-Sam-awesome.jpg .....Just a matter of time before all public places will be off limits...

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone actually confirmed this? Is there someplace this has been published on a State website or law journal?

Terry I don't know, I just read it on the MD'ing forum a few hours ago.

TH is says state beaches, but I do believe there are a lot if those in this state, especially on the Cape. I wanted to get in touch with the MD'ing club on the cape they may know more, or should. I 'm hoping some members are on this forum.

I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see if I can find out exactly what is going on. Also my Internet service may be interrupted it's on a family members service so I may have to find free wifi to up date this.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is where you can find the draft of the new regulations...

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/ne...olicies-and-regs/302-cmr-12-draft-8-23-13.pdf

The metal detecting prohibition is on page 14 and reads:

(23) Special Use Permit Required. Unless authorized by a special use permit issued in
accordance with 302 CMR 12.17(2), no person may:

[bunch of other stuff ommitted}

h. Use or offer for use metal detectors, except with permission from DCR personnel, for the purposes of locating lost personal property.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't know how anybody lives in such an oppressive state. Massachusetts residents pay more taxes than any other state, they're not allowed to own a firearm, and now they can't metal detect on the beaches. They might as well be living in Iran.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Th it doesnt matter who is elected here.This state is so crooked its pathetic.Where else can a selectman rake in over 140k a year when the position is suppose to be voluntary

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Maybe too many people were asking for permission?

I notice you're the first person on this thread musing that possibility. Others , like liftloop, wonder if someone didn't fill their holes. But others after that correctly point out that can't POSSIBLY be the reason, since it's a beach for crying out loud! :tongue3: (not a turfed park). Still others have pointed to the cultural heritage archie stuff (afterall, oh the horror if you disturbed a 51 yr old penny, doh!).

But all such things "holes" or "51+ yr. old relics" STILL have to "appear on the radar" of busy-body thinker legislators, to even be dreamed up, to begin with. In other words, if those are really the "all-fired concern", then, .... why just now coming up? I mean, haven't detectors been around for 30 to 40 years and no one ever cared prior to this? So you have to ask yourself, what put this on the radar as a "pressing issue" that now needs addressing ?

And to answer that, you may have a point relicmaster.

And whenever we hear about the 50+ yr. junk, we say to ourselves "durned those archies", right? Yet fail to realize that often time it's merely our own selves going and making ourselves a giant red X in need of their princely sanction, when it's their very desk's our "can I detect" questions land on! It's as if we can be our own worst enemy at times :(

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is another reason to not give mass another dime...Screw that communist state!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Also note: another sad part about this (threads like this, which bring about the "coming to a town or state near you" fears), is that guess what it instills in the minds of md'rs to do ? If the perpetual drone of "off-limits" beach or city or whatever comes up on threads, it instinctively creates the "check to find out" mentality. Afterall, no one wants to break any laws, now do they ? So what's the best way to find out if your city, or your county, or your state allows or forbids detecting ? TO ASK, of course. Is anyone seeing the vicious self-fulfilling circle ? :censored:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
h. Use or offer for use metal detectors, except with permission from DCR personnel, for the purposes of locating lost personal property.

Try this I Am Not trying to locate Personal Property I'm Just Having Fun and Helping Clean Up All of the Bottle caps, Pull tabs, And Can slaw. Then Pull it out of your Pouch and Hand it to Them!!! Then Say Your Also Helping the Environment By Removing Toxic waste Then Hand them The Lead Weight and Sinkers Then Say I would Like the Lead Back I can Pay for the Batteries I Use to Clean Up This Mess!!! We also pick up All of the Broken Glass We See that You Child or Grand Child Will Step out Gashing Their Foot Open!! Thousands Of Dollars there With Obama Care OOPS Bad Chug

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Of course I don'thave a dog in the hunt living in Tennessee but I think if this thing goes through it could also carry over to other areas as well in other states like our beautiful lake shorelines.let us know what you find out Msbeepbeep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread