Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the gov owns and controls everything

OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well so far "they" have been busy with other things.
They also have an aversion to being flooded with, e-mails, phone calls, and mail, from the silent majority.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
JW 8X/ML X2/VP 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MASS is an ASS.

Whatever or whoever decided that this was an "issue" that needed addressing needs to get their priorities in line.

And whoever voted it through should be forced into community service on weekends or days off...

CLEANING MASS BEACHES OF TRASH.

MAybe then they would appreciate MD people.

PS... One word... LAME.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Msbeep-beep, since this never ended up happening, I thought you were going to change the name of the title of the thread ? Because otherwise, at first glance, from the title (pinned no less), people keep thinking it's a true deal ?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Im pretty sure,at the same time this was happening,they tried to pass a bill in mass to make it against the law to work on your own car.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a plan I came up with that I feel like I might create here in my own town, even though there are no metal detecting bi-laws where I live. I'm rural so the hate hasn't hit me yet even though I'm in Canada and know it's coming.

My plan is to make a few nicely constructed plexi-glass boxes that stand upright about average person tall. Inside the boxes will be all the trash and garbage I collect from a specific site. It will have a key lock so I can add or remove stuff as time goes on. The top of the box will say something like "Metal detecting hobbyists have cleaned THIS dangerous and disgusting trash off your beach(or park or whatever) for free" The headline needs to be more eloquent obviously but you get the point.

My plan is to just fill them up a bit first with items from the selected areas then drop the boxes one night in the dark at various locations so people can actually see the benefit of what we do. They would be discreet, no names, no club names nothing to tie them back to me for legal safety reasons. lol. Just a modern art type of display to send the message home. Strategically placed for maximum impact but not in the way where officials will consider them a threat.

That way when these bans are implemented, people will know how silly they are.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here is a plan I came up with .....

Bottle-cap-bill, your post is very revealing about the psychology of all this type threads. That protest and lament some place that is, or supposedly is in danger of being off-limits.

a) I notice that you're posting the idea on this thread, about this particular location. But if you read all the way through it, you'll notice it never came to fruition.

b) YET the mere title is all that's needed. People read the headlines, and thus fear "everyone hates us", etc...

c) And they infer, from those headline: "Coming to a city near you". Thus "hurry and do something". I saw this reaction FIRST HAND when the FMDAC was formed in the 1980s: Each newsletter, designed to garner solidarity , had the unmistakable tone of "coming to a city near you". I understand their rationale: It was to garner solidarity & support of course. But the ripple effect was exactly as you're proposing to do here. EVEN though , as you say, there's no prohibitions in your area.

d) you want to be "preemptive". Eh ? But I got news for you: It's THAT VERY VISIBILITY YOU PROPOSE, which is what brought about all those rules (non-existent in this case) that you fear. In other words: LESS visibility is better. Not MORE visibility.

e) I'll bet that the average person who sees your proposed pexi-glass containers, had/would probably have never have given the matter a moment's thought. Then the only thing that emblazoning "metal detecting" on it does, is simply conjur up images of geeks with shovels. Thus don't defend something that's NOT EVEN under attack yet. In the meantime, you want LESS people to think of you. Not MORE people.

f) I agree that we clean up and pack out the trash we dig. But ... I recall bumping into a "scram" from a gardener once, who .... when I objected and showed him the "trash I was removing", he wisely and correctly retorted: It was in the ground, buried , thus bothering no one. Hence: Scram . So don't assume that everyone will melt at this "noble thing" we do. Some people consider trash that below & unseen forever, to be not-hurting-anything.

g) The "trash" argument is a bit better on beaches, where sand moves around, and removing items like nails, can be seen as a good thing. Granted. But stop for a moment and think about beaches (like GGNRA) where MD'ing is not allowed: I'll bet that someone could scream and holler till the cows-come-home about how they are doing a benefit to the beaches. And ... trust me: The archies would win the debate. It would not outweigh the damage that (gasp) removing cultural heritage objects would cause.

Thus please, do not take preemptive moves. Moves such as that should ONLY be employed if there were an actual threat. In the meantime, just don't wear a bullseye on your back. Don't swat hornet's nests. If it's nicely manicured turf: Hunt it at night in the dark (so peaceful, so serene).

MAILITY

May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? A beach? Yeah right, filling in a hole or not on a beach (always fill in) But, in any event, shouldn't a tide take care of that, or rain anyway?
I don't know because I've never been there. Ah, maybe they think you might be endangering a turtle? (sorry, I couldn't resist...in light of NV)
It sounds more like they're wanting to control whatever they can. I can't wrap my brain around it. What do they suppose a MD might find?
Ah, the tide will bring in ancient relics and everyone knows we horde and never share our finds!
I'll continue to scratch my head on this! Oye!

Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out. All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

MAILITY

May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out.Audacity Find My iPhone Origin All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

It sounds more like they're wanting to control whatever they can. I can't wrap my brain around it. What do they suppose a MD might find?

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cause they can fine people and bring more revenue in to fund their non productive jobs

They could care less what you were doing it’s just another excuse to legally rape your wallet

I got nearly tossed in jail/lost my license for 2 years and nearly lost my 60,000+ yr job over an Expired Inspection Sticker on my vehicle that was parked

It’s insane

People need to pull heads out of asses and get this train back on the track

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDloop, you do not need to hit enter after each line, you can put it all in a single post.

Thread is over 5 years old and law did not pass.

Last edited:

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol

Well that’s a good thing

And don’t worry they will steal the revenue another way...I will bet all I have on that

OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see there are 9 more posts. I can't access right now.
I am e-challenged. I will respond when i figure out what my problem is...besides being me! 😁

OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i found the "orange" brick road leading here. Sucks being e-challenged.

The law was never passed because of the over whelming response from the metal detecting community "everywhere", global.

The big attention getter for the Mass "powers that be", that this may not be such a good idea, was a possible reduction in "tourist" revenue for the beach areas.
Some had told them that they would find a more friendly area to spend their tourist dollars.
Bottom line, loss of even a little revenue and a bad reputation as a happy tourist vacation spot, was what did it.
I'm guessing they figured out, those few coins & tons of trash we were finding was an acceptable trade off.
Mass beaches are not the most alluring compared to alot of otheres.

One of the T-Net members sent them a pic of a plastic wading pool full of recovered trash from detecting. That is hard to argue with.

Still have to keep an eye on them, in case the idea rears its ugly head again.

Tom of CA is right about not drawing more attention than necessary. You want to meet the threat with appropriate or equal response. Trying to get ahead of the game may back fire and do the opposite. Giving someone with nothing better to do, ideas of how they can save the world from those horrible detectorist. [emoji1]

This thread is old, yes. Will they try it again, who knows.
Everybody has to be ready to respond when & if they do.
No matter where you are.
Its your beaches, mountians, valleys. If you want to be able to detect there, sometimes you have to fight to keep that right.

The soap box is avaible for the next person.

Mods, if this thread is causing more problems than helping, do what ever needs doing.
Taking down a thread is beyond my talents.
Bad things happen when i dabble in the 'e' zone...i would not want to accidently take down T-Net...just think of the hate mail i would get! [emoji16]

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You get the New York garbage it’s basically little New York

Just like the Poconos here in Pennsylvania. Little New York here. They come they destroy and bring traffic and ignorance

OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get people from all over.

I think you will find there are a few of the people you are talking about in every crowd.
Most people are nice, but it only takes one or two to cause trouble for everybody.

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What causes the a fuss. what are we up againts...some one didn't fill in there holes...or what..

Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out. filezilla uc browser rufus All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

Last edited:
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far the powers that be seem to be occupied else where trying to stay in their jobs.
But we need to be vigilant every where, not just in Massachusetts.

ArsoMartinera

Oct 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Indeed ! There have been cases where individuals have been arrested for breaking these laws. Sometimes, people who know they are breaking the law still dig or remove relics, are then caught and arrested. If they have metal detectors, they then bring negative attention to our hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve's Detector Rods

Latest Discussions