Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!!

ArsoMartinera

Oct 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Indeed ! There have been cases where individuals have been arrested for breaking these laws. Sometimes, people who know they are breaking the law still dig or remove relics, are then caught and arrested. If they have metal detectors, they then bring negative attention to our hobby.

Metal detecting is allowed on beach and campsite areas with permission of the Park Supervisor. If you want to detect in Massachusetts town, village and city parks, you'll need to check with those local officials.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of times you can look on line as to what the rules or laws are regarding detecting on public lands.
And yes, bad attention is not good for our hobby.
God knows a lot of good is done by detector users that is never publicly known.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And welcome to T Net ArsoMartinera!

TomBeart

Nov 14, 2019
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will no longer be able to metal detect on MASS state beaches as of July 1, 2014 and if caught you will be fined!

A call to arms people!!!!! Get your pens ready there is a link to a petition to try and stop this .
CoilyGirl posted it in Metal Detecting: "Sign petition against stopping metal detecting"

Thank you CoilyGirl! I never heard read or saw this anywhere in the news!

Anyone in a MD'ing club get the word out. All of you people that come to Cape Cod in the summer and go to state beaches won't be detecting if they get their way!

Why? What happened that caused this law to be passed? Evidently we have been portrayed in a bad light some where! Or the powers that be have lost their minds!!!!
Interesting information, thank you all.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net TomBeart.

The info is from 2014, they backed off on the law because of the backlash from the detecting community many & others.

You should be able to detect on public beaches. National Parks are usually a no no.
Some towns have their own rules also.
You maybe able to see what the rules are regarding metal detecting on-line for specific cities or towns.

I wish you the best of luck in your adventures!
Remember we all enjoy photos of found goodies, share those if you would please.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We try and help a fellow treasure hunter when we can.
Best of luck to you in all your pursuits of treasure.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The powers that be get a little over zealous at times and we had to reel them back in.
It worked, we made our selves heard loud and clear in numbers that shocked them, and they backed off. But ya got to watch them.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I posted under this thread
I sent a ton of pictures to the powers that be if defense of TH'ers in Ma.
I sent lots of pics of piles of trash pulled from Ma. beaches - that I have found over the yrs
(Its a good idea to take pics of hunts you have found alot or save a bunch from multiple hunts or a year and take pic )
I sent pics of jewelry returns made
I sent pics of dangerous finds removed - knives, hooks, needles, razor blades and other sharp objects
I was notified that these pics helped alot - recommend no matter where you live that you take pics
just in case you run into same prob down the road in your state, county, or town

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrrg this thread still makes me cringe.

A bunch of dufasses must be running things in Mass.

Talk about having your priorities screwed up.

What is wrong with people that they allow such lameness to "run things".

Oct 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Davidson

Feb 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Massachusetts residents pay more taxes than any other state, they're not allowed to own a firearm, and now they can't metal detect on the beache.

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
I thought this was all straightened out. I spoke to the boss of the Park Ranger that approached me and was told by him from the high tide mark down the State has no authority. As far as MA residents not allowed firearms, I wish someone had told me before I spent $20,000 of my home equity on them.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ma. hunters - ACTUALLY ALL HUNTERS - should (if you already dont) take pics of returns - trash and dangerous items found
-good deeds done like helping fire or police dept.
and just put in a folder - i sent like 40 pics total to be used in that case - which for the lawyer or defenders was a treasure trove
(pun intended) - i heard a few others added theirs - but lucky
for me I was writing for a magazine at the time and had saved a bunch and had them ready to go when guy notified me of the
case being brought up --if more ...especially a lot more guys were to send in a ton next time - it might be a better wall
then just pics from a few---this could happen in your state next time - if so - drop me a line and you can borrow my pics for defense also

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid $1.99 for gas yesterday .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Napervilledan, please keep politics out of all forums except our politics forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread