Metal Detecting in an old cemetery. Legal or not Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2008
Good morning everyone. I have this question that I hope someone could help me out with. I live in the hills of Northern Pennsylvania. There are alot of old cemeteries in the hills of our small towns that date back before the 1900's. I have metal detected a few, and was always afraid I would get in trouble so I left quickly after I started. What is the Law about detecting in a cemetery? I read before as long as you don't dig more then 6 inches your OK. I had a local police officer tell me "NO" period. I know a few cemeterys that will be promising and are sorta off the forbidden path if you know what I mean, I may not get caught, but is it worth it?

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what the PA laws are, but most of us consider it unethical and disrespectful.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't hunt a Cemetery, but if there is a fence or boundary, I don't see a problem with hunting around that, I just won't go into the grounds themselves, I have an personal moral issue with it. :nono:

HH

PTP

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
:nono: I would never hunt in a cemetery.There are 1000's of other places to hunt.What would you do if you found someone diggin up around your Grandpa's grave.You won't be able to dig my final resting place,cause I'll be spread along the river, out to the ocean,pulled up in the clouds,come over as rain,and repeat the process. :wave: :wave: Idig

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rwsnc said:
I don't know what the PA laws are, but most of us consider it unethical and disrespectful.

Agreed!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
The only time I have or will search in a cemetery is when they have unused grounds and are preparing them for sale. they seem to have no problem giving permission to hunt these unused areas here.
But to avoid problems with the public it is recommended to hunt at night or early morning, when the odds of someone seeing you and complaining are far less.

Thom

OP
OP
A
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks everyone for your advice. After listening to what was said here, I decided not to detect in a cemetery. Thanks to everyone

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you changed your mind about hunting there. We have enough trouble with our image.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Sandman said:
Good thing you changed your mind about hunting there. We have enough trouble with our image.

Agreed!

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Archaeologist16929 said:
I read before as long as you don't dig more then 6 inches your OK.

When I first read his post I thought I saw 6 feet instead of inches. Whew

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No i haven't and No i won't ! just seems disrespectful to me :coffee2:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cemetery near o hare airport will be being moved for the planned expansion
just thought id throw that out :thumbsup:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
EDDE,

The thing to do in that case is to be there with bells on to detect the place where they have already done the removal. Before they start construction. After they start construction it becomes a security measure to keep folks off of it.

Thom

Iron Maiden

Mar 2, 2008
St. Joseph, Missouri
Detector(s) used
White's 6000/Di PRO sl and Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull-tab Parson said:
I wouldn't hunt a Cemetery, but if there is a fence or boundary, I don't see a problem with hunting around that, I just won't go into the grounds themselves, I have an personal moral issue with it. :nono:

HH

PTP Same here. You would probably find more on the path from the road to the cemetary entrance. Personally I would never hunt in a cemetary unless somebody recently lost a ring or something and was wanting it found. I would find it and then get out. My 2 cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread